ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Windows 8 File Share

Inferno 182 CUP
I have a 2007 Mac mini running lion which is connected to my home network via Ethernet.

I have an external HD plugged in to this which stores all my media.

I have just purchased a windows 8 laptop for business.

Does anybody know how I share this drive with my windows whilst plugged into my mac? And also what format I can use for the drive to ensure that if I do wish to unplug it I can also plug it into the windows?

I have tried file share but can't seem to get very far, probably more so on he windows side.

Google isn't helping me

Thanks

FF Clio 182
As far as file format you can use then you are limited to FAT as Windows supports NTFS and Mac is HFS+, only issue with that is due to the limitations of FAT is your limited to a single file size of 4GB.

When you go into preferences on the Mac for sharing there is an option on file sharing for allowing window users (Allow SMB as Mac is AFP) to also see the drive that you are trying to share.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-easily-share-files-across-mac-windows-computers/

I run a Mac mini server and have 5 Mac computers but then my sister decided to buy a Windows laptop so was in your exact position.

Sorry if that makes no sense I just quickly threw it together on my break at work.

Inferno 182 CUP
Okay I'm in .. But it's showing nearly all the files on my mac not just the 3 folders I've told it too?

I also don't seem to be able to share an iTunes library?

FF Clio 182
Okay I'm in .. But it's showing nearly all the files on my mac not just the 3 folders I've told it too?

I also don't seem to be able to share an iTunes library?

Yes it will do because you have entered your credentials it sees you as an authenticated user so allows you to view your documents. If you set up just a single shared located and didn't enter any credentials it would only show you the one folder.