ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Williams...

Hey everyone, Im new to the site and this is my first post, anyway.

I currently have a saxo and a pretty much sick of it, I have been looking at a Clio Williams for quite a few weeks now and Im pretty much deadset on buying one.

Im going to look at few in the next week or so and would like to know what to look out for, any common problems that occur with them and what are the differences between the mark 1, 2 & 3.

Cheers.

E11OOT

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 6/Ph1 v6/R34
make sure you do some insurance quotes for them they are group 17, which surprises most people.

But other than that a cracking choice of car!

Good luck!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
make sure you do some insurance quotes for them they are group 17, which surprises most people.

But other than that a cracking choice of car!

Good luck!

Cracking if you have deep pockets...

Renaults are a fingers-crossed affair for reliability mate (i know saxo's arent much better) but buying one thats 10 years + old is a big risk.

even the minted ones are suffering, beware mate!

Nah not at all.

I've used mine as my daily driver for the past 4 years, never had any problems really apart from the need to replace the clutch, but it had been on the original clutch for 13 years so it was about time!!! They are no more unreliable than any car of its age, get a good, well looked after one and you will be OK.

Dont take it to Renault for servicing though, they will try to rip you off.

As for insurance, yes its group 17 but you can still get cheap insurance. Adrian Flux have done me some fantastic deals.

And, its a cracking car, always puts a smile on my face every time I drive it, even after 4 years!!!!!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I never said it was a bad car i like them alot, although your likley to replace more parts on a williams than say a 172/182

Maybe, but once you replace them the parts should last just as long!!! As I said, find a good one and you'll be fine, as with any car really!

As for the op's question about the differences;

Williams 1 - the proper rally homologation. Hense no sunroof! Numbered plaque on dash which makes it more collectable, hense slightly more valuable

Williams 2 - has a sunroof, but no numbered plaque. Phase 2 syling.

Williams 3 - as above, but with a slightly brighter shade of blue (Monaco blue, not the classic Williams 449).

Thats pretty much it for the differences. The 2's and 3's are ever so slightly heavier due to the extra equipment but its not really noticeable. I have heard the 1 is slightly stiffer than the 2 and 3 due to not having a sunroof, but again, I doubt anyone would really notice!!

150 bhp in the book, but a lot produce more than that as standard. Mine was dyno'd at 167 bhp and its unmodified. 0-60 between 6.5 and 7.4 secs depending what you read!

Last edited:
I had 3 Mk1 Clios, including Williams No.123 ("Williams 1").

Personally, I'd go for a Phase 2 Mk1 Clio - which means a Williams 2 or 3. I always preferred the subtly updated styling of the Phase 2, although the benefits are only cosmetic.

Finding any 16V or Williams in very good condition is going to be a challenge and keeping them in tip-top condition will be fairly expensive compared to a newer car. The Willy is an absolutely blinding B-road car, but most people who have driven more modern cars would probably regard them as occasional-use or second cars.

Why can't people at least use a little bit of grammar when they write there ads! I just wouldn't buy a car from an illiterate spleen that can't talk properly!

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I have to say to those that always say they are expensive to run....... Have you ever owned one? Most are merley being sheep and posting the same crap others have typed and deem it to be true.

Mine has been totaly reliable and never had anything seriously go/gone wrong. The only real pain in the arse with the cars is the rust. Engines are generally bullet proof. Mine has covered 93k and still pulling 4 bar on the m-way, can sound a little rough and tappety when cold.

A decent minty mint Williams still does it for me, if I could find one & wanted a second car to pamper i'd have one.

Jesus! I didn't know there group 17 insurance.
I've just got a quote on a 172 and i get more for my money when it comes to car+insurance with a phase 1 172.

Think I might have to start looking in to them lol.

Astra van,Mk1 nova
Jesus! I didn't know there group 17 insurance.
I've just got a quote on a 172 and i get more for my money when it comes to car+insurance with a phase 1 172.

Think I might have to start looking in to them lol.

williams ftw, 172's are to commom these days :dapprove:

My differences list. (Williams 2's don't have a Sunroof by the way ;))

Williams 1, 2 & 3 Differences

Standard For All Williams Models
  • Oval Plate number for Williams is C57M. The 16v is C57D.
  • 150bhp, 2.0 16v Engine.
  • Wider Front Track than the 16v, Uprated Suspension front and rear than the 16v.
  • Williams Badges on Rear Arches and Tailgate. Williams 1 says "Williams", Williams 2 says "Williams 2" and Williams 3 says "Williams 3"
  • Williams sill plate in black
  • Gold wheels with the silver rim - the same wheels across all Williams'.
  • Williams Stitched interior with lumbar support and height adjustment
  • Blue Seat Belts
  • Carry Case attached to Parcel Shelf
  • No Brake Coolers like found on the 16v
  • Blue Dials (Speedo, Rev Counter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temperature, Oil Level, Coolant Temperature)
  • Blue Gear Knob
  • Blue Carpet in main cabin area
  • Slightly larger than 16v, colour-coded rear tailgate spoiler
  • Electric Windows, Power Steering, Central Locking
  • Oil Cooler fitted, only some 16v's have them
  • Uprated front subframe than the clio 16v subframe
Clio Williams 1 - Produced 1993/94 (L) - 390 Manufactured for the UK
  • Based on the Mk1, Phase1 Clio's. (1991 - 1994)
  • Small Bump Strips, 2.0 badge round side repeaters
  • Flat looking rear lights with black plastic strip
  • Badges (Renault and Clio) are on the boot strip.
  • Slated Front Non Colour-coded Grill
  • Phase1 16v Mirrors but manually controlled
  • Phase1 Heater Controls
  • Blue Carpet throughout including boot carpet!
  • All were Sports Blue (449)
  • Only 4" Dash Speakers in front (no rear speakers)
  • Plaque to show number of car (as limited run)
  • Williams Badges are an Outline, and not filled.
Clio Williams 2 - Produced 1994/95 (M) - 482 Manufactured for the UK
  • Based on the Mk1, Phase2 Clio's. (1994 - 1996)
  • Larger, more rounded bump strips - with 2.0 badges
  • More Rounded Rear Lights and Boot Strip to match
  • Badges (Renault and Clio) are on the tailgate now.
  • Colour Coded, different style Grill
  • Phase2 Electric/Heated Mirrors
  • Phase2 Heater Controls
  • Again, All Sports Blue 449.
  • Only 4" Dash Speakers in front (no rear speakers)
  • Revised Williams Stickers
Clio Williams 3 - Produced 1995/96 (N) - 308 Manufactured for the UK
  • Based on the Williams 2 (Mk1, Phase2 Clio)
  • Electric door mirrors
  • Introduction of door speakers (5 1/4")
  • Introduction of rear 4" speakers
  • Change of colour to Monoco Blue (432)
  • ABS as standard
  • Electric Sunroof as standard
  • Williams badges seem a brighter gold and a deeper blue infill.
  • Blaupunkt headunit & Steering Wheel Stereo Control
  • Revised Dashboard illumination
  • Revised Williams Stickers again

Last edited:
I have to say to those that always say they are expensive to run....... Have you ever owned one? Most are merley being sheep and posting the same crap others have typed and deem it to be true.

Some are good, some are bad.
My Williams 2 was absolutley shocking for reliability.. hated the thing in the end - cost way too much to keep on the road. My Williams 3 mechanically was solid, but very rusty.

Civic Si
Maybe, but once you replace them the parts should last just as long!!! As I said, find a good one and you'll be fine, as with any car really!

Williams 1 - the proper rally homologation. Hense no sunroof! Numbered plaque on dash which makes it more collectable, hense slightly more valuable

Williams 3 - as above, but with a slightly brighter shade of blue (Monaco blue, not the classic Williams 449).

quote]

wrong, i have a willy 2 and it has no sunroof. must of been an optional extra.

quote]

wrong, i have a willy 2 and it has no sunroof. must of been an optional extra.
Daz says in post #18 that they don't have a sunroof ;)