ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

williams - legend

now im well into my clios and i was thinking about this when watching gunners williams vid.

Now i know the williams series clios are legends but i have just reallised that i dont know why. could any one please enlighten me without being to patronising as it may seem a silly question.

manythanks

Justin

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Fantastic car for its time and moved the hot-hatch scene on a lot.

Its been eclipsed by one or two models since but remains a fantstic car from its generation.

ian

Brilliant in their day but if they were sold new right now they would be nothing special imho. A 172 mark 2 beat a Willy round a track in a Evo mag test, but thats to be expected when a Willy takes near on 20 secs to hit 100.

SC 172 FF

20 secs 2 hit 100 u sure thats right m8?!:confused:

also there wernt many made , which makes them more speical

its also 2 be expected when the 172 is a newer updated version in many ways of the willy ;)

The Williams was when it was poduced the best hot hatch ever by many people standard.

Ok so the the standards have changed now and maybe the 172 etc is a better car. However the William still holds its own and for the price of them there superb value. A Williams with some money spent making up the engine lack of power and uprated brakes makes a superb track car.

At the end of the day any car which can keep close on the track to the competition 10 years or so after its finished being made is a good car IMO.

The Williams is also legindary since when it was rallied it still loads of records many of which still stand. These records still stand today and I belive its the reason that the catagoy the Williams raced in was disbanded an S1600 took over since the Williams made such a good car. Even with the intervention of the first 4x4 rally car the Williams still didnt do bad for istself.

I think the true thing that makes an car a legend is the stories and facts that come from its history the WIlliams has its rally hisory and the fact that even today many new car are compare to it.
However dont forget that the Williams is a 10 year old car it was desigd around tyres which are old technology and no longer in prodution and most eamples are worn and slower and weeker than they were when they were new. The good cars are realy brought out to show the potential of the cars chassic and handling. You only have to go to track day aranged by Renault etc and you see the lack of good examples of these cars showing there potential on the track.

Anyway 20 seconds to 100? I sure 2 lives hit 97 in 14.1 or somehting like that. Mine takes 14.7 to hit 97mph ok so mines modified but it still not as quick as a good Williams.

Also the Williams was (originally) a limited run of 400 cars making it even rarer than the trophy. Ok so they make 2 more runs but there sill rare less than 1200 were ever made I belive.

Quote: Originally posted by edde on 11 August 2005

The Williams was when it was poduced the best hot hatch ever by many people standard.

Ok so the the standards have changed now and maybe the 172 etc is a better car. However the William still holds its own and for the price of them there superb value. A Williams with some money spent making up the engine lack of power and uprated brakes makes a superb track car.

At the end of the day any car which can keep close on the track to the competition 10 years or so after its finished being made is a good car IMO.

The Williams is also legindary since when it was rallied it still loads of records many of which still stand. These records still stand today and I belive its the reason that the catagoy the Williams raced in was disbanded an S1600 took over since the Williams made such a good car. Even with the intervention of the first 4x4 rally car the Williams still didnt do bad for istself.

I think the true thing that makes an car a legend is the stories and facts that come from its history the WIlliams has its rally hisory and the fact that even today many new car are compare to it.
However dont forget that the Williams is a 10 year old car it was desigd around tyres which are old technology and no longer in prodution and most eamples are worn and slower and weeker than they were when they were new. The good cars are realy brought out to show the potential of the cars chassic and handling. You only have to go to track day aranged by Renault etc and you see the lack of good examples of these cars showing there potential on the track.

Anyway 20 seconds to 100? I sure 2 lives hit 97 in 14.1 or somehting like that. Mine takes 14.7 to hit 97mph ok so mines modified but it still not as quick as a good Williams.

Also the Williams was (originally) a limited run of 400 cars making it even rarer than the trophy. Ok so they make 2 more runs but there sill rare less than 1200 were ever made I belive.

Those figures are all for modded Willys.

Neil82cup I thourght 2lives 14.1 time at 97 or something. I know his cars modified now. Ill have to PM him and see.

SC 172 FF

0-62mph is 7.7seconds....thats 4 a standard williams....i think 17 - 18 secs is about right 4 0-100mhp...so im told any way!

now seems like a good time 2 add that i ad a little play with 2 172s...beet the 1 while gettin close enough 2 the ova 1, that if i got ne closer that 172 wud av TWO 2 ltr engine cuz mine wud av been in its boot!.....gota admit though they did pull slightly on the straighs...however killd em on the bends n roundbouts :devilish:

Quote: Originally posted by iLL_MoVeS on 11 August 2005

0-62mph is 7.7seconds....thats 4 a standard williams....i think 17 - 18 secs is about right 4 0-100mhp...so im told any way!

now seems like a good time 2 add that i ad a little play with 2 172s...beet the 1 while gettin close enough 2 the ova 1, that if i got ne closer that 172 wud av TWO 2 ltr engine cuz mine wud av been in its boot!.....gota admit though they did pull slightly on the straighs...however killd em on the bends n roundbouts :devilish:

in English please my good man?!?!?!? :confused:

Willy2

you have to drive one to know the feeling, its just sooo raw, ask stratis(zorba the greek) 5th gear in the willy is amazing, its still not a bad motor on the road these days, mine keeps up with plenty and it handles superbly. Personally i think the new cars look too tame, look at the willy and valver and they just look mean!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Most williams have been messed with by now and people like 2live and the jesus like to band the figures around and some people take it on board that because 1 willy has done that then there all capable of it.

There still fast but not as fast as 2lives or jesus

ian

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

The other side of it is that they are so cheap to buy

Just done a quick national search on autotrader and found a half dozen that you could buy for 2k with some having 75k on the clock.Thats fantastic value for money

ian

Vee dub

The Clio Williams is a legend and always will be.

I hope I will own one

I agree, technology has advanced newer cars etc, but it will always be the best clio made in my opinion.

Cheers

SC 172 FF

Quote: Originally posted by steveV6 on 11 August 2005

Quote: Originally posted by iLL_MoVeS on 11 August 2005

in English please my good man?!?!?!? :confused:

y cant u read short hand? ;)

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup

i sold my cup for a williams 3, always wanted one after owning a valver from new years ago which i loved. looked for ages to find a minter which i eventually found, 47000mls full renault history immaculate condition and it has a hill power stage one kit. handles so much better than the cup and looks way better imho, turns far more heads and is now a very exclusive car, ive only ever seen one other on the road while ive been driving around and he gave me a flash of the lights. that never happened in the cup. cup was a good car but i much prefer the williams.

Quote: Originally posted by Neil82cup on 11 August 2005

Quote: Originally posted by edde on 11 August 2005

Those figures are all for modded Willys.

theres nothing modded about winstons 14.4 1/4 mile, thats standard matey.

VaVa

Standard cups hve done 14.5 ... without stripping.

Why any Williams owner should feel the need to try and brag about straight line speed is beyond me. Its one of the all time best handling FWD cars. Its no faster than a 172 in a straight line in standard trim. But accordng to certain owners on a certain forum, IK, Zorst, Cams and chip still count as standard.;)