ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Williams, 106 GTI,

Civic Si
cant do this in a gti tho can ya??

[youtube]mWiV5zFTbys[/youtube]

and daz...jus cos urs was a s**tter that needed £000's spendin......doesnt mean they all do lol. ;)

admittedly, a rust free 1 is getting very hard to find now, impossible even. even the new clios are susceptable to the tin worm.....theres been enough threads on it. lol.

for pure driving satisfaction..............i dont think u can beat a williams tbh.

btw the car in vid is a sub £1000 car...................as it stands. tell me another car u can have as much fun in, for as long, for as little money.

Couldn't agree more! everyone seems to jump on the "Money Pit" bandwagon when it comes to the williams but from 4 and a half years of ownership i had 1 problem (snapped clutch cable) which was relatively easy to fix.
The only things i had to do were the usual maintenance stuff, the worst being cambelt.

It annoys me as probably half the people who whinge about them have probablt never owned one.

IMO, you have just as much chance in buying another hot hatch and it turning out to be an utter guff example and a money pit.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Williams is still a special car. i loved mine visually. great looking wee car. Really cool! The 106 is about as special as Rip3z! And he was a special boy in all the wrong ways!

That said finding a williams that is indeed mint is rare, and going from a 172/182 down to one is a struggle as they feel like an antique!! Mine was fragile and did more miles on a recovery lorry than it did in my hands. When i eventually got it running well, i'd lost all the passion for it and punted it on. new owner had nothing go wrong on it. Sods law.

williams and trophy
Metro with a 1.8vvc engine fitted. About £800 = done :)

yeah but u look a tw*t....and spend more time under the bonnet replacing heads/head gaskets after the poor design of said engine rather than driving it and having fun

53 Clio's & counting
also you will need to upgrade brakes and suspension on the metro (unless your a head case lol) the willy is good straight out the box

yeah but u look a tw*t....and spend more time under the bonnet replacing heads/head gaskets after the poor design of said engine rather than driving it and having fun

I had it running on bodies, and didnt have one problem with the engine. All this clap about k series, i must of been lucky with mine :)

also you will need to upgrade brakes and suspension on the metro (unless your a head case lol) the willy is good straight out the box

Gti brakes are more than enough with drums on the rear, stopped me very well. They would do as it only weighed around 650kg.

Rb182cup+s2 rallye
having owned a williams and 2 non standard hybrids and now driving a rallye i will say the clio was the better drivers car the rallye just wants its arse hanging out all the time its actually quite anoying where as the clios back end would tell you at times when really pushing it it was going to step out. all i did was lower the clio and the rear end did what it was meant to with the 106s you need dampers better arbs and bigger torsion bars.
dont get me wrong the 106 is a fun car just has back end issues parts are seriously cheap for the 106s and they are normally in much better condition than the mk1 clios.
if you want somthing standard then the williams if you want to play with it then its a tough call for me so many plus side and down sides for each car. have a drive of each but dont look at shitter williams and remeber the williams 1 is th better of all the williams.

williams and trophy
I had it running on bodies, and didnt have one problem with the engine. All this clap about k series, i must of been lucky with mine :)

Gti brakes are more than enough with drums on the rear, stopped me very well. They would do as it only weighed around 650kg.

they did revise the head/gasket on the later ones iirc.

u still looked a tw*t tho ;)

and lets be honest...the metros werent exactly rust proof either being made out of chewy wrappers ;)

and i did say for as long.....lol...had mine 3 years+ now...thrashed evry time its started, done spa, oulton, never 1 bit of trouble.

Clio 172 cup
pointless thread IMO

Evo Magazine rated the williams as the `best hot hatch ever made` for a reason!!!!!!!!

172 Exclusive... For Sale
^
Basing a car on what a magazine is not enough as much they maybe credible "experts".

I wish i never sold my S2 Rallye amazing little car for the money.

Snap. I sold mine in 2004, still regret it.

saxo vts wud also be a good option - i cant seee the 106 being better than ur 172

try a 172 cup

As subjective as it sounds the 106 IS better than the 172, I've owned both. More fun, better handling and nearly as quick.

Never driven a Williams so can't comment.

LY 200
Lol @ looking like a tw*t - no mincing of the words! Love it!

As said bad cars can be had in any car - even the newer ones but its all about finding that good one in the first place and looking after it!

Id f**king love a Valver or Williams again! Could jump into one tomorrow and would be just as happy with one of those as a weekend runner as i am my 182 and thats not saying the 182 is bad as it still keeping me entertained 3 years after buying it, its just a testament to how good the older ones actually were/are!

ValverInBits
106 Gti, good car.

It's no Williams Clio though is it.
Williams is the best clio made to date IMHO. driving satisfaction and grip from a hybrid/williams is really awesome.

williams and trophy
^
Basing a car on what a magazine is not enough as much they maybe credible "experts".

Snap. I sold mine in 2004, still regret it.

As subjective as it sounds the 106 IS better than the 172, I've owned both. More fun, better handling and nearly as quick.

Never driven a Williams so can't comment.

the only pug/cit that iv seen thats been anywhere near 172 pace is craggys old un..........fukkin animal that 1. was a pure freak tho.

Massey6465 & saxo1.1
Go try a Williams....so easy to fall for,get hooked and theres no getting rid!

Ive owned a williams, a 106 gti and currently drive an 02 172. The williams was a great hothatch, the clio 172 is better but I would revert back to the 106 gti tomorrow as i dont think any other hothatch comes close to the 106 gti. Better handling and looks than the other two imo and i would feel more confident In winning a b-road race sat in the 106 gti. The delivery of power from the 120bhp engine is seemless along with grip through corners that ive only experienced in a 4 wheel drive car. Only downside is that when tunning all 3 engines the smaller 1.6 lump struggles to keep up with the gains gained from the other 2.

Overall marks out of ten for a hothatch that ticks all the hothatch boxes :-

clio williams - 7
clio 172 - 8
106 gti - 10 :):):)

53 Clio's & counting

i think they are brillaint engines though, induction noise to die for!

k series are a bit hit and miss mate, i have a mate with an elise and hasn't had a problem with it in 50k miles, where as my mates MG ZR 160 he did the HG twice in 40k

I'm sorry what?! :S

lol agreed there mate, the 306 is a cracking handling car.

I have to say after owning both i say the willy is the better car, due to the 106 having basic upgrades, ie had uprated springs and shocks, slightly better brakes, the willy had the same, but had wider track, and was developed for performance in mind, it had wider rims but with 185 tyres, so the side walls were stiffer, a diesel crank so it could put up with more abuse, a stronger gearbox with revised 5th gear, i wont go on lol

now don't get me wrong im not taking anything away from the 106, as i know from personal experience its a cracking little car, and punches way above its weight, but the willaims takes it to the next level, yes i know a few tuning mods on the 106 will match a willy, but then the same mods on a willy will push the bar up again, for example the 106 with breathing mods will run in the high 14s, breathing mods on my hybrid took me down to 14.0, with 14.1's available to run all day long.

handling is just the same, they both handle well but i can bush harder and more confidently in the willy than in the 106

all in my opinion of course :)