ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Will they be insured?

172 cup
I always get confused as to whether someone is insured to drive my car.

They are NOT a named driver on my policy, I have fully Comp insurance and I beleive they do on their car too - are they insured to drive my car???

Titanium 182
Depends on there policy. They may have 3pf+t cover to drive your car with your permission. But they should ring and check first.

2015 ST2(MO)/CorsaLE
if the person is over 25 (which is normally the rules) and they have fully comp and have the use to drive other cars (like i do) they can drive any other car with the owners concent on a third party cover!

Clive the Clio no. 2
it will say on their insurance policy if they are, depends on age e.t.c and its usually only TPFT on your car.

i think thats right anyway, somebody correct me if im wrong.

koi

Audi S1
Fully comp doesn't mean that it will include driving of other cars, you will need to check the actual policy to see if it is included

172 cup
My Landlord/housemates have been using the car. Neil is 37, I dont even know what cover they have on their car. Its been in garage for 3 months now and is looking unlickely that it will get fixed so they keep asking more and more to use my car - Im starting to think that maybe I should say no as Im not sure he is completely insured to drive it, plus with the bad weather coming im more nervous something will happen, plus I have a feeling there is something wrong with the suspension too.

I'd say no unless they pay for any petrol used and pay to have them added to your policy. TBH I think they're taking the piss anyway but if you're feeling generous and don't mind I guess thats your call. Only person I'd let borrow my car is my dad, possibly brother and if I had a long term partner the other half but all would have to be on the policy beforehand. Bit concerning especially as you were doubting they even owned the property they're sub letting to you :S

172 cup
I'd say no unless they pay for any petrol used and pay to have them added to your policy. TBH I think they're taking the piss anyway but if you're feeling generous and don't mind I guess thats your call. Only person I'd let borrow my car is my dad, possibly brother and if I had a long term partner the other half but all would have to be on the policy beforehand. Bit concerning especially as you were doubting they even owned the property they're sub letting to you :S

They pay for petrol yeh - I just dont want to appear like a moody a** by saying they cant use it anymore but at first it was maybe once in 2 weeks, now its already been twice this week and its not just to nip to the shops their using it to go over to Leeds/Huddersfield

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Id rather tell him to get the bus tbh.

If he smashes it your gonna have to make out like he stole it for the insurance to pay out they will not tolerate you giving permission without appropriate cover, plus your better telling him that if hes not covered then hes facing 6 points and at least a 100% take hom pay fine...

They pay for petrol yeh - I just dont want to appear like a moody a** by saying they cant use it anymore but at first it was maybe once in 2 weeks, now its already been twice this week and its not just to nip to the shops their using it to go over to Leeds/Huddersfield

I don't think it's unreasonable. One off I guess you could let slide but if it looks like they're going to take advantage of your generosity and expect to use it all the time I'd put my foot down. You dont know their driving history, whether they have any claims or convictions, it's unlikely they're covered on your car and certainly wont be fully comp so if they do bend it your car wont get paid for and tbh you've only known them 5 minutes so on those grounds alone I'd say no.

Bit harder when you live with them and have said yes in the past but I'd try and put a stop to it now. Also if they're using it for longer journeys they're pushing you towards a service sooner and notching up wear and tear on the car.

172 cup
I don't think it's unreasonable. One off I guess you could let slide but if it looks like they're going to take advantage of your generosity and expect to use it all the time I'd put my foot down. You dont know their driving history, whether they have any claims or convictions, it's unlikely they're covered on your car and certainly wont be fully comp so if they do bend it your car wont get paid for and tbh you've only known them 5 minutes so on those grounds alone I'd say no.

Bit harder when you live with them and have said yes in the past but I'd try and put a stop to it now. Also if they're using it for longer journeys they're pushing you towards a service sooner and notching up wear and tear on the car.

Yeh your right, this is what I was thinking last night. There is also something wrong with the suspension atm and I need to get it into the garage.

I will just explain, I would hate for him to do something to the car and me be out of pocket or even worse not have the use of my own car.

clio sport cup
Its wear and tear on your car too.. Just be polite and say that every now and then is fine, but do you (as in him) think that taking long trips is taking advantage, and can he see that? Also ask him whats up with his car, and if you can help to fix it etc?

Also, re insurance.. I have read somewhere, i think on the Honda s2000 forums, that some policys were now taking this off, so its not a granted. I would seriously get the guy to check, and depending on how much you really trust him, see proof too..

If he tools it, does he have the means to pay for it, and im not sure, but if he dmgs something/someone, you may be responsible too. He may turn around and just lie and say that he assume (or you said) that he was ok to drive it, he was insured too..

I have seen this happen before between 'friends'..

Last edited: