ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Will the V6 satisfy me

Renault ChaVio

I am on the edge of doing it.

At present I am running around in a very nice Lotus Elise. Before that it was an Alfa GTV V6. I love my driving and am every bit a true petrolhead. What I like about the Lotus:
• Unbelievable handling and very quick to a point (about 120)
• Relatively cheap to run with most parts being inexpensive and fuel lasting forever
• Doesnt look out of place on the odd track day – and doesnt wear much while there
• Whizzing around with the roof off – especially at night through the City
• Looks amazing – people are always looking at it and asking me about it
• It is a Lotus. Senna and Mansell both had one!

What I dont like about it but put up with:
• All Elises rattle and knock on anything but a billiard table surface
• Can be difficult to get in and out of
• Nowhere to put things
• Cant cruise at high speeds
• Cant hear the stereo

Ive always been drawn to the Clio V6. There used to be one on some sort of Advert (a real car balancing on some sort of stand) at my local Sainsburys and it captured my imagination. I also remember watching it on the telly in Paris with the road tester wetting his Farahs!

I dont fancy a Boxster, TVR, M3, TT. Want something fast that can go on a trackday without looking out of place like most road cars do. Wont make my cry after a service. Im never going to tick all my boxes with one car – even if I was loaded, but I need to get something that comes close.

What worries me about the Clio:
• Mainly depreciation
• A fear that people will think it is just a cheap shopping trolly (sorry, I know that sounds a bit shallow)
• People finding out that I am infact a Chav at heart
• That I am going to get the 17mpg through the London rush hour that my Alfa used to

What do you lot think? Is it really a car that draws a crowd, goes stupidly fast? Will I love it, get excited about it, feel passionate about it, come on here and witter on about it? Or is it a car that is not for me?

Ford Fiesta ST2

all ill say is its the only car i get in as a passenger, or driving and just grin. Its a crazy feeling. The looks it gets, it would get far more than your lotus IMO. The thing that will sell it to you is going for a test drive in one thru a city centre if you can. The attention is a different league to most other cars! GO BUY ONE! you wont regret it.

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255

Yes ... next question ;)

You can buy faster cars for the money. You can buy better handling cars for the money. However the V6 is plenty fast enough and handles very well with loads of grip and you wont be embarrassed on a track!

However, the V6 is something very special. Youll smile every time you get in it to drive and even more when youre driving. Youll find excuses to drive it. Nobody will think youre a chav or in a shopping trolley ... many people will look and point and ask to take pictures.

Servicing is cheap.

You might get 17mpg ... but TBH if youre driving slowly where its got a lot of grunt you can stick in 6th at 30, let it just tick along and get very respectable fuel consumption.

I dont think that a v6 will dereciate much more, the mk1 is prob about as low as it will go (artound the 13k + mark)
the mk2 will prob drop though, but as they dont make it any more thats a bonus, so it may not drop much, if at all.

I am actually thinking of getting a mk1 next year.

Get a cheaper V6 and keep the miles down and it should hold its price. Prices will drop to about £13k for a 2 yr old then to about £10k and stabilise IMO. I cannot see them dropping much below £7k in any circumstance. Its a limited run rare car which stands out and people will pay.

Its not a Chav car its superb doesnt look aftermarket at all never let this thourght enter your mind. People will look but its not a car for the shy or people who want to blend in.

Id guess 20mpg maybe 25 should be possible in traffic.

It days a crowd anywhere bar the local petrol station near me as I think everyone blind. Its not stupidly fats Id say its slower than a good driven Elise.

They seem quite reliable but there Clio so expect some rattles. Good reason to turn the music up.

As for its track day use it depends how you drive ask telford mike he tracks his v6 a bit. Personally for mme Id prefere an elise for track work I think as the V6 weight twice the weight of an elise so its bound to suffer in tyres etc unlike the elise as you said.

Renault ChaVio

Thanks for the replies sor far.
Im going to start talking to dealers in the week, test driving and seeing if I can get the figures to add up. All simple stuff really.

I took a TT up to Scotland a few weeks back. I thought it would be a better bet for the journey. I really liked it partly because it is quick and partly because I managed to find the limits instantly making for a lot of good fun – except when the breaks caught fire and the clutch disintegrated. One of the things I hope the Clio will do is be more involving. I want a car that takes time to master – but when you do you know you are special. Coming from the mid-engined RWD Lotus I should be well placed on the learning curve.

This crowd pulling thing interests me. People with GTVs sometimes say it is a head turner (or something) but it isnt. I had a few nice things said to me when I had mine and sure a lot of lads take a look when walking past but nothing special. The Elise however actually does – in the last week I have had a bloke on the pavement giving me thumbs up with both hands and shouting what a great car it is and an old bloke in the back of a chauffer driven 7 Series wind down his blacked out windows at the lights and convey something similar. People never say the Elise draws attention though. Is it true the V6 actually gathers people around it? that would be so cool.

Ford Fiesta ST2

It is a beast to master, but once you have, oh what a smile it brings.

And it really really does get a lot of attention! even from people with far more expensive cars. Never known a car to get as much attention, and Ive been in quite a few nice sportscars!

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by ant_v6 on 14 August 2005

I dont fancy a Boxster, TVR, M3, TT. Want something fast that can go on a trackday without looking out of place like most road cars do. Wont make my cry after a service. Im never going to tick all my boxes with one car – even if I was loaded, but I need to get something that comes close.

What worries me about the Clio:
• Mainly depreciation
• A fear that people will think it is just a cheap shopping trolly (sorry, I know that sounds a bit shallow)
• People finding out that I am infact a Chav at heart
• That I am going to get the 17mpg through the London rush hour that my Alfa used to
Sounds exactly like the debate I had with myself before I bought mine. Do it mate, you wont be disappointed. Just be prepared to do a few trackdays before you can get the best out of it. Ive done 6 or 7 now, and Im getting the hang of the thing, but the first few were difficult, particularly in the wet.

Depreciation wont be too bad, and servicing is dead cheap for this class of car. I gvet about 23mpg overall, but city driving would be worse than that.

Clio v6

You have mentioned crowd pulling and head turning. The V6 most certainly wont let you down in this department.

Its looks are what pleases me a great deal. Cant stand all the attention, but its something I have to put up with.

Try one, and if you are 100% satisfied then buy one.

The clio will more than satisfie your petrolhead needs ive got one and i love it i picked it over a TVR T350 as better all round package, you get a very good selection of toys but its the fact that the car has just so much appeal from the first time you see it in the tin till you get in and turn the key. The trouble is were to start with a car that has the bodystyling,big wheels,big brakes,big engine and a big impact on the roads you get pointed at mouthing look at that and even stopped for a mobile phone photo shoot. Its a car that can be driven normaly-ish and reward then DRIVEN hard and just thrill, especially when you get it between 6000-7000rpm then you are sold, i can hear it now hmmmmm backin a mo

Done, just been and had my fix. So the only niggle i have is that it aint blessed with the best load carrying capacity but you always make do. Oh and it costs £205 to insure fully comp yep straight up its cheaper than my misses R-OVER 416.

So much so after all this its up for sale AAARRGGHHHH! i know i know im regreting it already but anyone fancy making a reasonable offer your welcome

Clio V6 255 & 172

Get one if you can,you will not regret it for a second, its the dogs b****cks, :cool: everything you expect and more, :D.

Hi Ant,

I have actually just moved accross from a S2 Lotus elise 135R, before that I had a S1 190BHP Exige, and before that I had a S1 Elise, so I have had my fair share of Lotus cars.

All I can say is GET ONE, the V6 has much more mid range grunt, you can get in and out even after your 40th birthday, it does not rattle, and you WILL pull as many looks as you did with the Lotus, the servicing is cheaper, and if you dont drive it to hard you will return 22-24mpg.

I have had no regrets at all since getting mine. Obviously if you can,go for the MK2.

Where do you live? as you are more than welcome to come and check mine out first, as an ex Lotus owner I would be able to give you the advice you are probably worried about.

Renault ChaVio

OMG – what a great response! Thank you everyone.

Ineresting to hear the ex-Lotus drivers view in there being something I never expected. Steve, I might have some more specific questions later...

J3ned, you cant leave it like that? What was the problems? You bought a second so I take it the issue is with the Mk2?

[Edited by ant_v6 on 8/15/2005 2:39:48 PM]

Clio 200

It probably is the only car that I really notice on the roads, a blue mk2 drove past me on the other side ofa dual carriageway last week and I couldnt help but stare at it. Probably only see 1 a month and I do a fair bit of driving!

MERCEDES CLS AMG

They are heavy, underpowered, overpriced, not very tuneable ( both 230 and 255 ) and have terrible handling compared to its competitors. Yes they look good and attract a lot of attention but as a drivers car they are terrible. I have had 2 and sold them both within 6 months - the clio cup is as fast and handles better. By all means buy one and you can understand the owners on the post backing there cars up, but like i say - if you are a true car enthusiast and understand how a car should perform then you will appreciate my comments when you look back after owning one for 6 month.

Hell....why do ya think theyve discontinued em ? :)

Quote: Originally posted by v8ndy on 15 August 2005

The clio will more than satisfie your petrolhead needs ive got one and i love it i picked it over a TVR T350 as better all round package,

Funny you should feel that as Im thinking of selling mine for a T350c...lol

320bhp per tonne, 100mph in 9 sec

or

182bhp per tonne, 100 in 14.6 sec

I do like the V6 255, as Ive said so many times before on these forums, but being only slightly faster than a 182 is making me change my mind.

Simon.

http://www.tmstvr.co.uk/tmsstock/upload/lowres/C1521Image1.jpg

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member

if i had the chance of buying a 2 seater car it would not be the V6 i love the look of the car but IMO its just too expensive for what it is, i think i would go for somthing like the TVR or maybe even a 350Z, but if you have set your mind on it do it because you will only regret it later on

theyve all got the car number on the centre console m8y, since they arent making them nemore just make sure that tag doesnt go nowhere and they hold quite a lot of there value becos they are rare. just seen an 03 one go from my work not 2 many weeks ago for £20K.

Clio 200 Cup

I am going to get a T350C next. I completely outruled a V6 from day one. In my opinion they are far too heavy / slow for what they should be. As has been mentioned, in a straight line a standard 182 isnt far off. Yes youve got the noise, but it needs more power. Also the interior is shocking, basically the same as a 1.2 clio! I expect much more from a car like this which is making a big statement from the exterior. Thirdly, the handling is too unpredictable. I havent really pushed one, but every review i read says there is lots of grip and then a virtually uncontrollable gob of oversteer.

I can see the appeal. The looks are immense, they are rare, they make a great sound and they are different. But for me, I want a proper drivers car which I can really exploit and for that much money I want serious grunt

2005 Impreza WRX STI

i wouldnt buy a v6 to be honest. they are great looking etc but there are so many better cars for the money!they look mint tho:D

You gotta go there to come back and ive done the TVR thing and was so tempted to go back down that road because theres no denying the T350 is very fast but in the quest for outright speed its a flawed gem.

The clio you can live with everyday the TVR you cant especially with 6000mile services costing £450.00+vat and all the other running cost it incures thats why the clio for me was the better package it did all that the TVR does except outright speed which we all knows can generate some fantastic [ well officer] excuses.

Plus it has to be the cheapest car on the planet to insure with a fully loaded policey costing £205 fully comp remove the extras and you can get it down as far as £168

Well the TVR would only be a TOY for me, I have another everyday car...only do 5000 a year in my Clio V6......needs more power...lol

I love acceleration.....when policeman plod aint looking...lol

and overtaking is so much easier when you have twice the power to weight ratio...lol

I also thought both were insurance group 20?

Simon.

Yeah so did i but it seem the good old insurance companies have these things called goal post and they do what they please with them at yours and my expense.

But theres no denying you get an explosive acceleration that thrills like nothing else and they are proper FAST and they have a massive [cant go home yet factor] which ends in it becoming a 10000mile toy

Andy

Renault ChaVio

This is turning into quite an interesting post (well for me anyway). And good to hear some objective discussion on a one make forum.

OK, so lets say £22k in your pocket, youre coming from an Elise and want something new or very nearly new, with a warranty and isnt going to cost a fortune to run, can be used everyday, can hold its head high on the odd track day. What are the cars on the list?

Obviously I have put the Clio V6 at the top of my list. Maybe a 147GTA? The 182 isnt my cup of tea. I can think of a few older cars that Id like but would sh*t myself at the servicing and bills – Boxster, Maserati 3200, M3. There is no way Id touch a TVR after my neighbours Tuscan had 2 replacement engines. There must be some other stuff though.

The world is your oyster do you want FR wheel drive [eeeek! for those just startin out and learning to drive] RW drive or 4W drive, then theres turbocharged ,normally aspirated,superdooper charged hmmmm choices choices i like to see there aint much made in japan land on your father christmas list,but then have you been a good boy this year so far

An interesting topic this.

I think the Clio makes most sense secondhand. I came from a 911 GT3 which was fantastic but - get this - too fast for this country IMO. It was a great car but I had too much money tied up in it and it became more and more of a worry. I thought Id lose my license sooner or later.

I bought a Clio V6 Mk1, 2003 car still under warranty for £13k. IMO this is where the V6 makes real sense. Its not the quickest car around but it puts a smile on your face every time you use it, makes a great noise at low speeds (unlike the GT3) and is cheap to run. Ive had 32mpg on e long motorway run out of it.

Ive had a TVR Griffith 500 in the past which was a good car but cost more to run and had too much power for the chassis to cope with. I wouldnt touch a Speed Six engined TVR as Ive heard too many horror stories. Ive also had an Elise which was good on a track but tiring on the road. It had a rubbish gearbox and the engine was coarse.

For smiles per £ you cant beat a V6

Craig

Renault ChaVio

Corvette! I thought they had appauling handling? Is the GT2 class standard road cars with just a little bit of modification?

A red missile

They look and sound the absolute b****cks, dont know if id swap though - its a sh*tload of money to pay for a Clio.

Ant, before I sold the elise, I was always looking at the V6, I also started toying with other cars, but I somehow knew I needed to get the V6 to make up my own mind, and in my opinion I have made the right choice (for now). I personally would not have a TVR, simply because I could not afford to keep replacing engines etc. and it is most embarrasing breaking down every other week. A good friend of mine had a Brand new Tuscan which he sold after only 4,000 miles and no fewer than 9 breakdowns, most were alarm / immobilisor problems, but he just did not trust the car, he also payed 38K from new and sold it for 26K, that is in my book to much money to lose in 2 years.

One other car I did consider, and I may still have one after the V6 is the Honda Integra DC5, awesome looks with everyday use and good handling with maybe the most reliable engine ever made, a very good all round package.

Remember what I said, if you go for a V6, get the MK2, you will not be dissapointed. For 22K you will get almost a brand new one with 2-3K miles.

[Edited by Steve V6 255 on 16 August 2005 at 1:15pm]

Quote: Originally posted by Steve V6 255 on 16 August 2005

Ant, before I sold the elise, I was always looking at the V6, I also started toying with other cars, but I somehow knew I needed to get the V6 to make up my own mind, and in my opinion I have made the right choice (for now). I personally would not have a TVR, simply because I could not afford to keep replacing engines etc. and it is most embarrasing breaking down every other week. A good friend of mine had a Brand new Tuscan which he sold after only 4,000 miles and no fewer than 9 breakdowns, most were alarm / immobilisor problems, but he just did not trust the car, he also payed 38K from new and sold it for 26K, that is in my book to much money to lose in 2 years.

One other car I did consider, and I may still have one after the V6 is the Honda Integra DC5, awesome looks with everyday use and good handling with maybe the most reliable engine ever made, a very good all round package.

Remember what I said, if you go for a V6, get the MK2, you will not be dissapointed. For 22K you will get almost a brand new one with 2-3K miles.

[Edited by Steve V6 255 on 16 August 2005 at 1:15pm]

Yeah I agree that TVRs are very expensive to run ( £350 for 6k service and upto £950 for a 12k one...) but I think you will also find that Renault are NOT a very reliable make either, they always come low down in the JP Power car surveys?

I could name a huge number of Renaults that have broken down, but YES, its a problem with TVRs too......but for TWICE the power to weight of a V6 255, I would think about getting one if its NOT your main car :)

You will love the V6 255 for a while ( I have had mine for 14 months now), then the lack of power (182bhp per tonne) will start to get you down a bit I guess?...... :( I am use to my old 5 GT turbo having 220bhp per tonne and need more power..... :)

I could mod my v6 for more power, but to reach the same pwr/weight as the T350c I would have to get to 435bhp, which is more costly than buying the 350c and then makes my engine as unreliable as the TVRs.....seems I cant win...lol ;)

Simon.

I agree Simon with your TVR coments, I only have the V6 as a toy, but i couldnt risk the possible expense of TVR ownership. As for power, the TVR has to be the best buy on the road. To get a 0-100 time in 9 secs. from other manufactures you would be paying near double, (with exeption of the Noble). Anyway, just about to take the V6 for an evening blast and call in the pub (soft drink only of course).