ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Will the Dephaser Pulley fail and Destroy the engine.

Renault Clio 172 Cup
HI,

Sound like my Dephaser Pulley is on the was out on my 172. Had the Cam Belt change when the Head Gasket went. But the garaged did not change the Dephaser Pulley. It's started making a noise when the engine is warm. Renault have quoted £450 ish for the job. Will the Pulley simply get louder or will it break completely and destroy the engine. I'll have to run the car until I can save up to get the work done. Any facts and advice please.

Cheers.

Cooksport Fleet
How long ago did you have your cambelt done? If its very recent you could get away with just a new cambelt instead of the whole kit.

Evo 5 RS
They go on for practically ever after they start making a racket. However their job is pretty important as they adjust the timing via oil pressure, pretty clever bit of kit tbh even if it is random as f**k

You don't really want it failing put it that way

53 Clio's & counting
They can fail adventually - is it noisey on idle, but goes quiet once the revs get above circa 1500 revs?

Megane r26
I swear I've read of a member on here that had one failed big time! As already mentioned its an important part of the f4r emgine that advances an retards the timing dependant on load using oil pressure!

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Danny at 519 repaired an engine where the dephaser had shredded itself,
the last time I was there he told me he'd never seen one fail quite like that.

The pics are on here somewhere.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
it still exploded though

IMAG0257.jpg

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
someone tightened the blanking cap up so tight it cracked around the bolts and it all rattled loose until all the bolts sheared and everything parted company.
looked like the top end had just been (badly) rebuilt after another belt failure

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You would have to ignore it for a hell of a long time before the paddles actually fell apart completely, and it would be SO noisy first that you'd be embarrassed to drive it.

No real urgency to fixing it.

Renault Clio 172 Cup
You would have to ignore it for a hell of a long time before the paddles actually fell apart completely, and it would be SO noisy first that you'd be embarrassed to drive it.

No real urgency to fixing it.

Cheers for all the good adivice. Once running it not too bad. Plus I've had a KTEC Stainless Stealth and Decat fitted, So now is much better. lol.