ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Will I be 'disappointed' with a PH1 172 over a ph2 172 Cup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Silly question, still quite new to Clios. My current car which I thought I'd fixed, which was worth 172 Cup Money has now broken again, which means my budget has dropped quite a bit. I can afford a regular Phase 2 172 or the Phase 1 172. I've heard lots of good things about the PH1 (apparently they're the quickest of the lot?) but on the flipside I've heard the Phase 2 is more refined.

Looks wise I like both (prefer the rear and interior of a ph2 tho) but pure performance wise is the PH1 just as mod-able and quick? I've also heard the PH2 is way more reliable.

I know I'm probably just being crazy anal about it as I'd been hyping myself for the 172 Cup but I'd love to hear from the owners of both. I've read a few threads on here but a lot from a few years ago so it'll be nice to see how they've fared as there aren't many left on the road.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
As above.

The Phase 1 'feels' very slightly more involving to drive than a normal 1*2 due to the throttle cable and smaller 15" wheels.

Sounds like a good plan then. Do they have the same noisy dephaser issues or are they non VVT? Got my eye on one with 90K on the clock, just asked the chap how much history he has. Cheers for the replies.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds like a good plan then. Do they have the same noisy dephaser issues or are they non VVT? Got my eye on one with 90K on the clock, just asked the chap how much history he has. Cheers for the replies.

Depends on how they have been looked after. I had my dephaser was still fine and silent at 130,000 miles.

Depends on how they have been looked after. I had my dephaser was still fine and silent at 130,000 miles.
Blimey that's really good. You've pushed me over the edge and I've now enquired about swaps with this one I've got my eye on. Wish me luck, this site has got me mad excited about the RenaultSports.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
I think your problem here is you are thinking that a decent PH1 is cheaper than a 172 cup.

Im afraid your wrong, you will be able to buy cheaper & net then have a bigger bill to get it to a decent standard.

If you've got sub 1500 starting funds with less than £500 back up then its unlikely you wont find anything that 'decent'.

For example-
The Ph1s are 13-15 years old- most will need the following as a MINIMUM.

Cambelt change.
Suspension refresh of SOME kind.
Steering wheel
Tyres. ( decent branding)
Interior Sort out.
Paint.
A decent service.
Tracking.
A new exhaust.

& so on.

Most 172 cups will need similar, but maybe some ( sub 60k ones) some of the above wont be as urgent.

Good luck mate.

Theres a 172 Cup on Ebay for 2600.

I would scrape together the budget & buy that.

Good shout from r-sports cars. To be fair I'm basing my judgement on 2 weeks of looking at adverts though. The ph1s I've seen have always been around 1500 quid rather than £2000 upwards for the ph2 cup. That is all private adverts though and we all know how that can end!

ill definitely keep my options open and try and find a good example. Luckily jobs like services etc I can do myself but big stuff like cam belts is what seems to be a big killer for the little clios. The write ups I've read and the excellence of this community are keeping me interested in getting one!

phase1sr don't suppose you could link me the mint one could you? I can see a few bit id like to see the one you mean, if it's been in the club for a while id like to invest in something from a good home :)

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Lol. Couple of nice cups for sale as said on here. I wish people would leave the turinis silver though! I want a cup again.

Depends what you're using it for. Personally I wanted a Cup for track work, no abs and no AC, with rubbish seats I'd be ditching. If it's a road car I don't think it would be a great daily choice tbh. That said, the cup for £2600 looks like a great car with sensible mods for the cash.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
I've got 2 ph1s for sale at the moment. One has the ph2 rear so win win.
Also a cup with 66k PM if interested or grab me on Facebook

Inferno 225 cup
Like I said, just my opinion so can't be wrong. Wrong in your opinion, maybe. The interior in a ph1 is pretty terrible too. Again, my opinion.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. :)

Apart from the vents missing
y8evu4y3.jpg

They can look pretty clean, depending how OCD you are + it does grow on you after a bit.

They can look pretty clean, depending how OCD you are + it does grow on you after a bit.

That's really nice mate! eBay photos really don't do the interior justice it seems. Interior isn't a huge deal anyway, definitely not a deal breaker on a car. Unless it's really gash. That just looks like your standard 90s interior.

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Both will bring a smile to your face. The ph1 will be more comfy & luxury compared to poverty cup spec but the cup is a bit more raw. Take your time in picking the right one as theres many sheds out there

Got a ph1 myself and driven a cup and a normal 172

Not much difference in them tbf. The cup feels slightly more raw to drive when pushing on but so does the ph1, the ph1 comes with a few luxuries though. The standard ph2 172 would be my choice for a daily, cup for a track car and ph1 goes somewhere in between.

Listerine & Poledo
Ph.1 looks nicer on the outside, but like 1988 on the inside.

The whole "oh my. 0.01 quicker to 60! I just jizzed my pants!" will never.

ever.

everrrrrr.

translate into your experiences.

But chances are you'd convince yourself that the difference is night-and-day between whatever you go for and the alternatives

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
The Cup is a no frills car. Refinement levels are a decade behind the other sports for the simple reason that they're meant to be. It's the closest thing to a good modified 80's hot hatch without buying one. The rest are great all rounders. My dad's 182 FF really was quite nice to potter around in. Extra sound proofing and few more comforts really make the difference. My Cup reminds me of my old XR2 and that there's not a lot of car here feel. If the Cup had a cable throttle it would be perfect really for me. Having got it back on 195/45's it's even better.

A car magazine said it best about the Cup in a 206 GTI 180 vs cup article. The 205 GTI replacement is here it's just made by Renault. They even said the 180 had more grip but the Cup had that bean-can-ness fun to it's drive. It's not a 205 gti they are one on their own but it's a better effort that Peugeot ever made about keeping that sort of driving fun around.

Also ABS is not something I like but Electronic brake force distribution is a great system and makes wet braking far less interesting. You go without any of it on the Cup.

Last edited:

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member

y8evu4y3.jpg

It does grow on you, I never minded the ph1 dash tbh.

172 cup has FBW iirc? Probably be the biggest difference when swapping to ph1 with the more responsive cable throttle.

Inferno 225 cup
Scott's is immaculate,the best ph1 on this forum by far. mine is the next best titanium ph1, sorry I mean chi's :)

I really want another :(

Status
Not open for further replies.