ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why you should clean your filter!!

172 5HED
DSC00251-1.jpg

DSC00252.jpg

And a sink full of crap too!!!
DSC00254.jpg

340i
My ITG was like that after 10K....

dead flies, grit, stones, grass, leaves.. LOL!!

The car felt alot better after washing the filter

RB 182 Cup
mine was as bad or worse then that the other day! had feathers and all sorts and loads of thick black stuff around the rim :S runs so much smoother now though

L

leeboy182

really wanna give my maxogen a clean but how do I get it offski?

S4 Avant
Then coat it in this stuff, NOT wd40 as its too thin, does not act as a proper retention fluid.
+1 After cleaning, it always needs coating with filter oil.

It's the oil that prevents small bits flying into the intake manifold, the filter acts as something to hold the oil to.

Bus w**ker
There's a guide on the ITG site IIRC. I cleaned mine by soaking in petrol for a bit and giving it a good rub (the filter). Then soaked it in warm water with a little bit of fairy liquid, rinsed it out and let it dry for 24 hours. Then re-oiled with ITG filter oil from Merlin Motorsport, cost less than £10 delivered I think.

172 5HED
I dont get all this letting it dry for hours and hours though!!

Just dry it as best you can, you get moisture in it driving day to day anyway (depending on the feed of course) little bit of moisture wont do any harm!

Mini JCW
Damn:dead:

My Cups on 33k and, as far as I know, its still running the original OE panel filter. Time to order an ITG panel filter or ITG maxogen methinks!

Coiley'd Clio PH2
Ha ha, i did mine the other day!
The filter was pretty bad, but where the cold air feed dips down in the middle, there was a whole manner of bugs and bits of grit in there!

Audi TT 3.2 V6
Damn:dead:

My Cups on 33k and, as far as I know, its still running the original OE panel filter. Time to order an ITG panel filter or ITG maxogen methinks!

Has your car never been serviced? Filter should be changed at every service. Paper filters are disposable so rather than being cleaned are just replaced.

Mini JCW
Has your car never been serviced? Filter should be changed at every service. Paper filters are disposable so rather than being cleaned are just replaced.

If you saw the shady service history for my car, you'd think its not had a replacment lol.

Stuck between uprated CAFs / ITG panel / oem airbox / acoustic valve removal, or an ITG maxogen :dapprove:

Audi TT 3.2 V6
Id just replace it with a standard panel filter tbh. Im not really buying into the "benefits" of itg's etc. Just personal oppinion.

RS RIP
**bump**

I'm going for a paper superduper-oem one this morning and see if i can telll the difference with the ITG i had on.

worth mentioning ? ; i have a V6 airbox with a 100mm caf direct to the outside , inlets and cams

i have been running the iTG for so long , it's got quite dirty and looks fucked. i'll spend the small $$ to buy a OEM one and run this while i give the ITG a thorough clean

will post results

Mine looked to have part of a birds nest in it when I took it out to replace it. Getting to the thing is a complete joke as it's half way up the car at the back of the engine (vee)

172 5HED
Mine looked to have part of a birds nest in it when I took it out to replace it. Getting to the thing is a complete joke as it's half way up the car at the back of the engine (vee)

Well..... you will get these flash cars!!!:rasp::rasp::rasp:

RS RIP
got the paper filter (oem) for the v6 box in there ; thought at first that i could "feel" a little less power but it was hot that day.. After 2/3 days i can say it feels the same as with the (very dirty) ITG :)

cost me 15 pounds. Will be changing more regularly now being low cost. It filters way better too , or so they say !

Clio
Too much moisture will mean the oil won't be absorbed by the filter element properly and so won’t last as long.