ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

why swich to 15's?

172cup turbo & rx8
i have noticed mentioned a few times that people switch to 15's for track use

also noticed that said people also go from 45 to 50 profile tyres, which surely contradicts the idea of smaller wheels as its only a -6mm change in overall diameter coupled with a taller sidewall :S

now discounting cheaper tyres what is the point in switching?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Has to be said,cheaper tyres.

Aye.

Generally speaking, there's a wider variety of rubber available too. It wasn't that long ago you could only get one or two types of track tyre in 195/45/16.

In 195/50/15 you're spoilt for choice.

As for worse handling on 15s? In 195/50/15 the rolling radius is almost identical, so the only real difference is a slightly deeper sidewall. Unless you're Tony Hunter, you'd never be able to tell them apart.

182cup & 172 racecar
lol

but at what cost? worse handling for the sake of cheaper tyres
Actually no,you are able to get a stiffer sidewall with more profile.How many race cars do you see with low profile tyres?

Thanks Mark lol,but yes I can feel a tyre moving on its tread if they are new.

S4 Avant
As said by Mr Hunter, race cars don't run around on low profiles ;)

The cost is the other factor e.g. at the moment I'm paying roughly £85 per tyre, for parada spec 2's

For the same tyre in 15", it costs £35 per tyre. £340 for a set, or £140 for a set. No brainer.

172cup turbo & rx8
interesting didnt know that, excuse my noob comments i just always assumed that a lower profile = stiffer sidewalls,

out of interest Tony what tyre's do you run on your race car?

also wonder what the difference in weight between a 15 and 16 would be? i might consider a change myself in the summer

Rusty Cup
when i swapped to 15's i was instantly blown away by how much better the car changed direction, as for sidewalls i would say a soft sidewall is often attributed to cheap tyres.

HyperAlloy Combat Chassis
The main reason is unsprung weight. Reducing weight on suspension components improves handling. I read somewhere that 1Kg saved on suspension = 5Kg saved on the chassis. Moving from a 16" wheel to a light weight 15" saves you 25Kg or more, which is a significant saving. 16" wheels on a Clio are purely for looks.

True, tyre choice and price on a 15" is perhaps better, but that is a bonus in my opinion and not the real reason you would choose them.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Love my 15's, never go back for a car to throw around, 15's for go, 16's for show.

S4 Avant
Paradas are fine in the "wet". Not noticed any alarming lack of grip, from a bit of water on the road.

The only thing worth noting, is because of the tread pattern, when they start to get low, they will aquaplane over standing water.

Megane r26
Paradas are fine in the "wet". Not noticed any alarming lack of grip, from a bit of water on the road.

The only thing worth noting, is because of the tread pattern, when they start to get low, they will aquaplane over standing water.

Cheers dave these sound about right tbh plus i don't tend to go off bonkers in the wet an at 35 quid a corner i don't think i can go wrong

S4 Avant
£35 a corner FTW.

Honestly, as long as you're aware that it's a fairly extreme "summer" tyre, and not designed for driving through the bangladeshi floods, you'll have epic grip in the dry, and no problems in the wet.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Im also running spec 2's on my 15's love them in the dry, average in the wet but I never hammer it in the wet anyway tbh.

GB 182 FF
KH or KU 31's are £35 and what I'd go for EVERY DAY for road/light track tyres....

if spending more time on track then RS2's would win

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Forgot to add that if it's track wheels you're after, a set of rough-ish looking 15s can be had for £50.

I've got 3 spare sets with wets, semis, and crap road tyres fitted with the used track tyres coming from members on here, and I'm down about £600 all in. Bargain.

GB 182 FF
I've been looking for nasty 15's and cant find any on the bay for less than £100 :( seems steel wheels have become 'scene' and therefore sodding expensive BOOOO

Discounted 1*2 parts
i used to run Prada's and found them a bit twitchy in the wet, switched to PE'2 and wow wat a difference. I'd recommend the new PS3

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
I also find PE2s start to play up a bit by tracking in every direction when they get about 60% worn. Great when new though.

Giulietta 940
Just saw this thread...

I'm currently running the standard 16s on my 182, but I'm interested in changing these to some 15s... mainly due to price.

Now considering I'm running 205/45/16 at the moment, if I switched to 195/50/15 would I have to get the speedo recalibrated?

Also, would you recommended spacers with these?

/noob

Iceberg 172
Speedo Recallibration really wouldn't be nessacary, there's hardly any difference in the rolling radius and the speedo isn't perfect anyway.

Spacers - Depends on the offset of the wheels... If you get the same offset with the same width then they'll sit exactly how yours are sitting at the moment... if you go narrower then they might sit slightly inside. TBH, I think the Clio's need about an ET15 to look good and be level with the earch on a 7J rim...

Giulietta 940
Thanks Steve. The speedo would read over anyway, so I wouldn't have to worry about speed cameras etc., right?

Any recommendations for Turini-type 15x7 wheels? Apart from the TD 1.2s :approve:

182 FF
Uniroyal rainsport 2 > paradas, T1-R etc. Gave these a try and they are FANTASTIC. £35 each of Camskill in 195 x 50 15

been thinking about taking my turini's off my cup and dropping to 15's.. normal sport rims will go straight on wont they? probs a daft question i know but just want 2 make sure