ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why should I buy a MacBook Air?!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Just noticed the 0% deal posted on here!

Should I buy a 13" Macbook Air?
I know very little about the whole Apple shiz to be honest, but do have an iPhone 4.

What will I gain from it?
Currently I have a decent HP Laptop that I bought cheap.

Mainly use it for browsing the web etc, nothing more really.
Would like to use it for work but due to software it wouldn't be possible.

Is it worth it for me?! I think not, but still tempted!

You Apple geeks have an hour to convince me!!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Software wise I have AutoCAD that I use at work mainly, can I get that to install on a Mac?!
My work laptop is Windows 7 32bit.

DB.

BMW 440i
If i was to buy another Apple laptop, Id go 15" MBP, rather than a 13.

Just food for thought, tad small at 13.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I'm in almost exactly the same boat.

I want to annoyt the fcuk out of Revels, Tom, Munson etc when I got full Mac r****d.

The only thing that worries me is the number of issues that seem to be cropping up.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Cheers for the link, but can you condense for me?!

Is ther anything I need to buy alongside the laptop?!
Can I burn CD's on it?

I love my Iphone and it's the best on the market for me but I struggle to explain to myself why, is that a similar thing with the MBA?

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
You can get parallels so you can run Windows on it.

Tell me more!
Do I need to be mega smart to do that?

If i was to buy another Apple laptop, Id go 15" MBP, rather than a 13.

Just food for thought, tad small at 13.

A lot more wonga though?

I'm in almost exactly the same boat.

I want to annoyt the fcuk out of Revels, Tom, Munson etc when I got full Mac r****d.

The only thing that worries me is the number of issues that seem to be cropping up.

Issues?

Roy will tell you more about parallels. Not something I've used.

Cheers for the link, but can you condense for me?!

Is ther anything I need to buy alongside the laptop?!
Can I burn CD's on it?

I love my Iphone and it's the best on the market for me but I struggle to explain to myself why, is that a similar thing with the MBA?

There's no disc drive with the Air.

But burning CD's? Treat yourself to an iPod. Lol.

DB.

BMW 440i
I have used my disc drive about twice in 4 months now.

One was to watch an old holiday disc, and the other was pointlessly playing a couple of old CD's to see what they were. Neither important.

I wouldn't worry about the disc drive.

You can use a USB optical drive as well. Not ideal and obviously an additional expense, but that alone is not a deal breaker.

MBAs also now have a BLK. Maximum Win.

There seems to be a lot of people complaining about build quality and macs failing.

I'm not sure that's an entirely accurate perception. Remember that you mostly only read about problems. My MBP is built like something designed to be used in outer space. It's two years old and still looks like new, besides shiny keys. Even the touch pad looks new, and I've never used a mouse with it. It get's used in industrial environments too. I am recently suffering a bit of lag, but I think my HDD is failing, which can happen to any computer any time.

Build quality is the one thing you can pretty much be assured of with an Apple product. There are exceptions, but they are exactly that. Exceptions.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Revels, my Beemer doesn't have an AUX plug because I'm a pauper :(
Although I guess a connects2 could work.

Right, after having a quick browse, my options are a 13" MBA, or a 15" MBP, obviously a big difference in price for me.

Is it worth getting the extended Apple care?

I'm guessing it comes with all cables etc? A mouse?

Edit, can people stop using Acronyms?! What do you mean?!

BLK = backlit keyboard :eek:

MBP = Pro
MBA = Air

EDIT: No. None of them will come with all cables and a mouse. You get the unit as a whole and that's it. You don't need a mouse with MBP or MBA. In fact IMO it would spoil the experience.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Cheers.
Does the Pro have this?

I'm swinging towards the Pro as it has the bigger screen for if I get round to using it for work, but would be a right pain in the arse for me I'm sure for connecting to my CNC machines etc.....so might be a step too far.

Might keep it purely for gangster home use.
Should I just buy an Ipad?!

Applecare extension needed?

I thought you meant black around the screen.

AppleCare is worth it. No mouse. But the trackpad is superb. So you don't really need one. All other cables (a plug) come in the box.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not sure that's an entirely accurate perception. Remember that you mostly only read about problems. My MBP is built like something designed to be used in outer space. It's two years old and still looks like new, besides shiny keys. Even the touch pad looks new, and I've never used a mouse with it. It get's used in industrial environments too. I am recently suffering a bit of lag, but I think my HDD is failing, which can happen to any computer any time.

Build quality is the one thing you can pretty much be assured of with an Apple product. There are exceptions, but they are exactly that. Exceptions.

I know you only hear of issues, and obviously a lot more people are using Apple products in the last few years, so there are likely to be more issues.

I just hear it from a few places (outside of CS) from people who have used various Macs for 5+ years, that they are noticing a lot more issues these days with software and that they think build quality is falling.

I'm in no position to offer first hand experience at the moment, and TBH, I probably wouldn't notice much anyway for the relatively limited use I would have for a MBP.

I know you only hear of issues, and obviously a lot more people are using Apple products in the last few years, so there are likely to be more issues.

I just hear it from a few places (outside of CS) from people who have used various Macs for 5+ years, that they are noticing a lot more issues these days with software and that they think build quality is falling.

I'm in no position to offer first hand experience at the moment, and TBH, I probably wouldn't notice much anyway for the relatively limited use I would have for a MBP.

You may well be right. My MBP was my first Apple computer, so I can't comment on anything before that. What I do know is that I love my MBP like a son. It's a joy to use, in a way that no other computer has ever been for me. I own a very expensive PC with a very swish monitor, and I only use it for gaming. Literally every other activity is done on my MBP or iPad.

They just feel good to use. It's difficult to explain. Those who have them know what I mean without going into further detail. Those who can't afford them bang on about fashion accessories. Personally I'm a believer that great design feels good, and doesn't come cheap. You're a long time dead, and I don't want to be using shitty products while I'm alive.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Put them on an external drive. Plug the drive into the Mac.

Obviously that does slightly depend on what the files are.

MP3, JPG and some video's. MP3 and video is in iTunes at the moment, photo's are just photo's.

Yeah. No problems with that at all.

And I knew there was another edu link. The one I found the other day didn't seem cheap enough :eek:

Thanks Dave, what kind of discount do you get on them? Just seeing how much before I go bothering my friends!

The link is the with the discount.

http://store.apple.com/uk = Full prices.

Depends what you want to do with it. I had a MBP and sold it. Bought an iMac and a iPad. Perfect combo for me.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
You may well be right. My MBP was my first Apple computer, so I can't comment on anything before that. What I do know is that I love my MBP like a son. It's a joy to use, in a way that no other computer has ever been for me. I own a very expensive PC with a very swish monitor, and I only use it for gaming. Literally every other activity is done on my MBP or iPad.

They just feel good to use. It's difficult to explain. Those who have them know what I mean without going into further detail. Those who can't afford them bang on about fashion accessories. Personally I'm a believer that great design feels good, and doesn't come cheap. You're a long time dead, and I don't want to be using s**tty products while I'm alive.

No, I agree completely, and as I say, I doubt very much I would notice any of the above issues.

The people I am referring to are all design users of some sort.

I know what you're saying about the negative opinions being the only ones heard (except on here ;) ), it's the same as anything, you wouldn't buy a car again based on the internet.

Deeg, after a while you would also slowly realise that iTunes works brilliantly on a Mac. It gets bad press, but almost universally from Windows users. Myself included before I went Apple.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR

They just feel good to use. It's difficult to explain. Those who have them know what I mean without going into further detail. Those who can't afford them bang on about fashion accessories. Personally I'm a believer that great design feels good, and doesn't come cheap. You're a long time dead, and I don't want to be using s**tty products while I'm alive.

Roy Munson
xx/xx/xxxx - xx/xx/xxxx
'I never used shitty products whilst I was alive'

That also implies he'll use shitty products once he's died.

That could be true though. Android is probably the only choice in hell.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Deeg, after a while you would also slowly realise that iTunes works brilliantly on a Mac. It gets bad press, but almost universally from Windows users. Myself included before I went Apple.

Yeah, that is one of the main drivers for me wanting a MBP tbh.

I can't see me moving away from iPhones and iPods, so seems logical to have a MBP that I can use seemlessly.

That and getting to go proper crash helmet full blown retarded with OSX and learn about something different.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
So the general consensus is if I don't buy one then I might regret it when I die next month; but I should buy the extended Apple Care anyways?

A lot of cash for a laptop, especially when I have a perfectly fine one in front of my face right now...with a bigger screen, for 1/6th of the price......with a fake carbon fibre effect.... convince me people!

So the general consensus is if I don't buy one then I might regret it when I die next month; but I should buy the extended Apple Care anyways?

A lot of cash for a laptop, especially when I have a perfectly fine one in front of my face right now...with a bigger screen, for 1/6th of the price......with a fake carbon fibre effect.... convince me people!

Keep that. Use it for work and boring stuff.

Buy an iPad for fun n ting.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
How does the student ordering work?

I would rather pay upfront and save £300. Is it just a case of getting someone I trust who is connected to a university to order through their .ac.uk address?

How does it then work with apple care etc?

Dave63 - Any clues?