ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why is it when you see cups for sale for more and there worth less than FF

Whilst looking at cars online i thiught i'd go onto Parkers Car Guide and What Car etc to check a few prices.

I checked my 172 and a Cup Model at the same time which were both the same year (2002).
Although it quotes with an average mileage of 80,000 which mine is no where near yet .

I found that the guid price 172 Cup is worth less than a Full Fat 172, and yet everyone expects to get so much more for there Cups.

How come the FF is worth more ?

Is it due to the extras such as Climate Control Xenons etc etc

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/used-prices/Valuation.aspx?deriv=21329&plate=69#amount=4000

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/used-prices/Valuation.aspx?deriv=23590&plate=69#amount=4000&years=3

I know alot of these websites and car guides should be taken with a pinch of salt as i guess your cars only worth what someones willling to pay for it but i guess there must be some truth in the way they get there prices.

Open to comments and Criticisms :approve:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Depends. To me the most undesirable MK2 is Silver 172

ZZzzzzz

(Sorry chap)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
According to Parkers, etc they are worth less as they cost less new.

However, in the eyes of the enthusiast, 172 cup's are worth more than 'FF' 172's as they are perceived as being better/more pure, whereas the 'FF' is considered to be more the black sheep of the family ...

Id pay extra for a cup.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
The GT3RS effect.

Get some vinyl down the side with 'Cup' on it, in a garish colour.

Then bang it on PistonHeads for £10k.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I've only ever seen one cup packed 172, so i'd say they are pretty rare.

182 Trophy
Ph2 172 the black sheep? I can't see that being the case, surely?

The cup is more raw and feels ever so slightly quicker but tbh there is nothing in it.

imo of course

Ph2 172 the black sheep? I can't see that being the case, surely?

The cup is more raw and feels ever so slightly quicker but tbh there is nothing in it.

imo of course

I have driven my mates 182 on numerous occasions and my cup feels quite quicker than his, as you put it the cup is more raw

Again this is just my opinion

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
People rock up, see the interior then piss off. Most people are probably so put off by the interior they don't get to drive it. Have to persuade them to drive it with the price tag.

Last edited:
  Astra VXR ex 172 owner
apart from the track in the street i recon a cup and a ff theres nothing in it at all after all they do boast the same figures.... and lets face it even the 172 and 182 are the same in a straight line i know with having a 172 and my mate had a 182 so i recon i would just get a ff rather than a renault sport cup with grans favourite seats in them

182 Trophy
Yeah I'll go with that, the 172 cup is incredibly driver focused, which is great.

I just think labelling the 172 a black sheep is not quite right. Still worthy of it's
place in the Renault sport family tree

Yeah I'll go with that, the 172 cup is incredibly driver focused, which is great.

I just think labelling the 172 a black sheep is not quite right. Still worthy of it's
place in the Renault sport family tree

I guess its down to personal choice and in the real world (off the track)
There aint anything in it between a cup and FF as i have found out.

Although i await the comments saying theres miles in it :rasp:

182 Trophy
Yup, sure is. I really like Cups, think they are excellent cars.

Just have a soft spot for the flamer.

Looking at my car though......cup spoiler, turinis and a cup splitter! :eek: