ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

why did I decide to polybush the wishbones? I'm stuck now.

Clio 172
Okay my 172 destroyed a set of pilot sports in less than 1500 miles so I decided to refresh the front of the car before getting the tracking done. The koni dampers were nearly new, fitted by myself a few months earlier, but I thought I'd do arb bushes, track rod ends, lower ball joints and wishbone bushes. Even after checking the forum and reading the horror stories of polybushing I thought I'd give it a go. This was about 6 weeks ago.

Removing the wishbones was fairly easy. That's when the fun started. Removing the existing bushes was tough going, although an upgraded blow torch helped a lot. Fitting the new bushes was very tough, just needed to get brutal in the end. But now I'm stuck.

I'm fitting powerflex black bushes. My car is already totally inappropriate for my daily 100 mile commute so might as well make it even worse (it'll probably end up on track like the 205 that preceded it). The problem I have is the washers that go on the end of the bush are held in place by grease, nothing more. When you try and fit the wishbone in the very tight bracket the washers don't fit. One washer does, but no way two are going in. How do I fit the wishbone? Is it possible to glue the washer to the bush? I thought I'd overcome all the obstacles, but this one is the tipping point.

Note to anyone finding this thread in the future. DO NOT POLYBUSHING YOUR WISHBONES. ITS A NIGHTMARE JOB. It has cost me a fortune in tools and I've even had to buy another car to deal with the Clio being off the road. It's a 306 gti, it's awesome.

e92 330i
You had to buy another car because you took the wishbones off? Aren't new ones with bushes like £60, could of fitted those while you sorted the others out.

Clio 172
You had to buy another car because you took the wishbones off? Aren't new ones with bushes like £60, could of fitted those while you sorted the others out.
Yeah, but the Mrs bought it as an excuse to buy another one! I do wish I'd just fitted new standard wishbones though.

Focus st /clio172
ive justed fitted black series bushes to my cup , wasnt that haed , fitted sleeve , bushes either side with a washer either side , dont do bolts up until car is sitting on wheels

phase 1 flamer 172
Ive also just fitted some black series, when test fitted in a spare subframe the washers fitted easily. Dont know what tools you used but i used a 25 ton press, are the metal parts of the kit fully home in the wishbone.?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
It's an easy job but I also used a press to get the old bushes out.

Once that was done it was a walk in the park.

Please don't attempt to do a cambelt or auxiliary belt tensioner then. [emoji23]

Clio 172
I think the problem is I bashed the sleeves in. I thought I had them all the way in but on having a look today there is a slight gap on one side. It would definitely be easier with a press. I'll have a go at getting them in further tonight.

Don't worry I certainly won't be attempting anything more than this! Well not for the moment...

Thanks for the advice.

Clio 172
Did you lubricate the bushes and sleeves prior to inserting them?
I did, I actually got through both supplied tubes in trying to fit the one wishbone! I can't actually re-try until I get some more.

Wife asked earlier if I reckon I'll have it done by end of May! Not sure at this rate.