ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why can't I find a decent 182 for around 2300.

Clio 182
I don't know about others but there seems to be a big gap between £2000 and £2500 for a Renaultsport Clio.

I had a look at a 172 this afternoon that was advertised as 2595 originally, I got down there, there was A LOT of water in the passenger footwells in the rear, moss growing on the rear seats and boot. Handle to get into the rear on the passenger side was broken(cable snapped), couldn't get under the bonnet, blowing exhaust and literally a plant growing in both front arches. I was generally pissed off as this was meant to be a forecourt, so left the keys on the roof of a mini cooper and drove off.:mad:

Rant over.

So I'm looking for a 172/182 as a daily driver, upgrading from my Corsa C that I got to 158bhp and 145 lb/foot torque. Keeps up nicely with my mates EP3.

I look on piston heads/autotrader and on here hourly and theres never anything decent at a maximum price of £2500.

Anyone know of any that are for sale around North London (70+ miles away is fine)

Thanks, Peter.

P.S - Sorry about the rant :lol:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Do you want a cheap 182 or do you want a good 182?

Both of mine will be for sale for £3695 when they're ready and I will get that for them because they are good examples. Trying to find an equivilent car for £2500 just isn't going to happen i'm afraid.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
I'm no expert but I suspect that if you find a decent 182 for £2500 it's going to need the belts doing. Most of the ones I see that go for £3000 or more have all had the belts done.

Clio 182
I genuinly thought that was the average price for a 182. What do they usually go for a 04 plate, 70k odd miles?

May have to settle for a 172

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
at that price range, i'd rather buy a mint 172 than a scruffy 182.

Civic Type R
Mainly because for a decent one that isn't enough money!

+1 - That's not 182 money really. Have you considered a car auction ? @ BCA 182's generally fetch around 2k , obviously you would be taking a risk though, and would need to budget for cambelt etc

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
I paid £2600 for mine last year but the belts need doing. So I'm off to see Fred at BTM in a few weeks. Not much change from a monkey to have them done.

Clio 182
+1 - That's not 182 money really. Have you considered a car auction ? @ BCA 182's generally fetch around 2k , obviously you would be taking a risk though, and would need to budget for cambelt etc

My dad bought his 57 plate Mondeo at a car auction and the car runs brilliantly, full service history too but that's an ex-lease car. I don't trust BCA, or auctions in general with older cars

Shameless plug of mine :eek: I'd like to think it's pretty decent. Certainly better than some of the dog ugly 182's floating around at that price.

I'm SE London

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3911802.htm

Few niggles (I also have a snapped seat cable on the passenger side) but I can guarantee no moss or water ingress lol!

Belt's aren't due until Jan 2014 or 114,000 miles. Long tax (Feb 2013) and MOT (Nov 12).

At £2500 you aren't too far away either...

Civic Type R
My dad bought his 57 plate Mondeo at a car auction and the car runs brilliantly, full service history too but that's an ex-lease car. I don't trust BCA, or auctions in general with older cars

That's fair play, all mine have been auction cars and fine, but you could as easily buy a lemon. You can pick these up for the price you want to pay, but it would need work. I think Steve @ Rsport cars has just put a mint PH1 up which is in your price range. Steve's a good bloke and you can't go wrong with his cars. Take a look.

Clio 182
Shameless plug of mine :eek: I'd like to think it's pretty decent. Certainly better than some of the dog ugly 182's floating around at that price.

I'm SE London

Few niggles (I also have a snapped seat cable on the passenger side) but I can guarantee no moss or water ingress lol!

Belt's aren't due until Jan 2014 or 114,000 miles. Long tax (Feb 2013) and MOT (Nov 12).

Exactly the thing I was looking for, I just don't like the mileage (but thats me) but then again it does have a full history

Clio 182
That's fair play, all mine have been auction cars and fine, but you could as easily buy a lemon. You can pick these up for the price you want to pay, but it would need work. I think Steve @ Rsport cars has just put a mint PH1 up which is in your price range. Steve's a good bloke and you can't go wrong with his cars. Take a look.

Especially my local BCA auction (Enfield) not exactly the most trustworthy area. I know this is going to sound really fussy but I can't take the PH1 headlights, thats the only thing that puts me off, so it has to be a ph2 172.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I just had to clear it all up.

If you are looking to buy from in an independent garage rather than private then you definitely won't find a good example for that money.

An 05 182 glasses at around £2600ish.

197 FF Glacier White

I'm SE London

Looks tidy

Civic Type R
Especially my local BCA auction (Enfield) not exactly the most trustworthy area. I know this is going to sound really fussy but I can't take the PH1 headlights, thats the only thing that puts me off, so it has to be a ph2 172.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I just had to clear it all up.

Ok.. Still have a word with Steve though, you will probably have to increase your budget a bit, but he gets some really good cars.

Mini Cooper S sport
Spend more money and get a better one then, I'd rather find an extra £400 and have a decent 182 than settle for a 172.

182s are all 7+ years old now, so it's getting harder to find mint ones.

Wick's car looks pretty decent, aside from the kerbed alloy.

Civic Type R
Spend more money and get a better one then, I'd rather find an extra £400 and have a decent 182 than settle for a 172.

182s are all 7+ years old now, so it's getting harder to find mint ones.

Wick's car looks pretty decent, aside from the kerbed alloy.

+1 You will end up paying more in the long run anyway, fixing a bad car.

To be honest, you get what you pay for.

For that amount of money you can buy a pretty mint Ph1 172.

Exactly, I'd sacrifice the lights tbh , and get a Ph1.

320d
If you want a good example you will pay more. I paid just over £3500 for my 182 and its pretty tidy. I could have maybe got one a bit cheaper but I got mine from a garage that did trade in etc. It was just an easier sale, for the sake of saving a few hundred quid I'd rather have an easy local sale for a nice 182 than having a ball ache of getting one marginally cheaper. They're a cheap car anyway.

Clio 182
Your much better off getting a well looked after full service history higher mileage, than a low mileage one that's not been looked after
Plus there's been a lot off love gone into his car

I think you're right, I've got to bite my tongue and just find a well looked after higher mileage 182. I'd like the car to see me through University so would ideally like it lower mileage but you're right.

AB Clio 182 FF
I genuinly thought that was the average price for a 182. What do they usually go for a 04 plate, 70k odd miles?

May have to settle for a 172

i got mine a year ago , 04 182 69k , advertised for £2900 got him down to £2750 , just had to have the dephaser , cam belt , aux belt done !
so your lookin at 3k+ for a good one with the belts done

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
There are a few 182 's on the cusp @ 2950/3250-
Ones like 54's hovering around 55k-65k.

You will be able to get a 182 for 2.5k- the issue being is out of the plethera of 182's available- probably some 150 across the 4 main web pages will you be able to identify whats a good one & whats a shi**er-

based on 150 182's on sale at the moment I could probably eliminate them thus

150---- at a GUESS

50 No cambelt change & or requiring a large service
30 Front Enders with cheap resprays non recorded
20 No service History
10 Cat D
10 lunar mileage +++ 90k
10 knackered bodywork & paint - generally very untidy needing lots of ££££
10 No TAX or MOT- always a gamble

leaves probably 10 cars that are decent to buy- even then you will need money to spend to get it Mint- whether it be a key, a service, short tax, etc etc

I would extend your budget to 3k & try & haggle down on a middle 3k car- that way then you dont limit yourself so much on mileage & colour-

S

Clio 182
There are a few 182 's on the cusp @ 2950/3250-
Ones like 54's hovering around 55k-65k.

You will be able to get a 182 for 2.5k- the issue being is out of the plethera of 182's available- probably some 150 across the 4 main web pages will you be able to identify whats a good one & whats a shi**er-

150---- at a GUESS

20 No service History
10 Cat D
10 lunar mileage +++ 90k

leaves probably 10 cars that are decent to buy- even then you will need money to spend to get it Mint- whether it be a key, a service, short tax, etc etc

I would extend your budget to 3k & try & haggle down on a middle 3k car- that way then you dont limit yourself so much on mileage & colour-

S

That's an awesome post "S" thank you very much, finding this forum incredibly helpful, I'll definitely be staying once I find the right car!

I think I'd be happy with one that needed the belts doing because I can get that done for a good price as I have plenty of contacts. Aslong as the car had been looked after, that's the problem with cheap cars, any tom, dick or harry can buy one, doesn't mean they can look after them.

Civic Type R
Think cambelt KIT and Aux KIT are circa £300 in parts, Maybe more if you want the dephaser doing, which you will probably will , so make sure you budget for the work.

172 Iceberg Silver
at that price range, i'd rather buy a mint 172 than a scruffy 182.

Im with Daniel on this, i had £2500 to spend and looked all over. Found a lot of dogs that i would of needed to pump another £2000 in to get yo a decent standard. Luckly i stumbled across my 172 through a friend. No regrets, enjoying it massively

150---- at a GUESS

20 No service History
10 Cat D
10 lunar mileage +++ 90k

There's always one who spoils my fun! :rasp: Useful as always Steve!! Very informative post.

That's an awesome post "S" thank you very much, finding this forum incredibly helpful, I'll definitely be staying once I find the right car!

I think I'd be happy with one that needed the belts doing because I can get that done for a good price as I have plenty of contacts. Aslong as the car had been looked after, that's the problem with cheap cars, any tom, dick or harry can buy one, doesn't mean they can look after them.

One thing just to mention is to be very careful with the above :)

I have no idea who the contacts may be (for all I know you're best mates with Fred@BTM) but I'd advise a read of this an very much a case of buyer beware when checking the history!

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?510521-cambelt-problems-(local-garages)

Good luck in the hunt!

Your much better off getting a well looked after full service history higher mileage, than a low mileage one that's not been looked after
Plus there's been a lot off love gone into his car

Cheers mate. I tend to agree on the mileage front but only after owning my 182...

We all know Love > Mileage lol!

Mk7 Golf, Daytona600
Ill dig out the paper work on it tomorrow. They were done at GDi before they merged with Ktec. Pretty sure it was Dan (519) who actually did it