ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

who does the best ported heads

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
All I know about that home build was it ran Cat 423's. Not even sure of the c/r used, although I'd expect it was 12.5:1

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
F4r 830 or 832 head off a 197/200 is a better head to start with. You will still have to rocker issue to overcome, but nevertheless it's a better design in terms of looking for power.

It's not a 100% straight swap but you only have to do a very minor amount of work to get it to run with a 1*2 assembly.

Also there are good cam choices available. R3 rally car runs 230 on high comp, different cams and standard (ish) inlet.

Would there be any benefit using this head if I am going for a full porting job ?

BRT Motorsport

ClioSport Trader
  Clio Rally car
ian on my ex cup racer i had 421 cams direct to head itb's and had 203 bhp at the wheels and 229 at flywheel, so with head work, rods, pistons you wouldnt be far away, last event last year i had the dreaded dropped standard valve so in the process of fitting rods, pistons and single piece valves

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
was just looking on catcams website , on the 551 , 552 and 553 profiles , do catcams also supply solid lifters as I can't see them on there site , if not who does them , what other complications do you run into fitting either of these over the 423's

BRT Motorsport

ClioSport Trader
  Clio Rally car
see graph, befor and after is with and without cams fitted
sadev box not road car box
scan0006.jpg

Lionel Richie
torque figures are about right, power figures are miles off though which is hardly surprising with dastek dyno, to get 230bhp you HAVE to have pistons, its not possible without (217 is the most i've ever seen on stock pistons)

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
torque figures are about right, power figures are miles off though which is hardly surprising with dastek dyno, to get 230bhp you HAVE to have pistons, its not possible without (217 is the most i've ever seen on stock pistons)

saw one a while back with high comp and 421s make 221 and IMO the cams were holding it back at that point as they were wrong for the rest of the engine

BRT Motorsport

ClioSport Trader
  Clio Rally car
im not looking for all out power more good driveability as you can see from the graph it is a very smooth curve, going for all out power you might not get that

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Would there be any benefit using this head if I am going for a full porting job ?

The benefit would be that it makes the engine future proof in my eyes. Competitors will undoubtedly improve their engines so why not give yourself the ability to do the same thing?

This is all just my opinion though. I try to start with the best possible bits to save time and money further down the road if and where possible.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator

The benefit would be that it makes the engine future proof in my eyes. Competitors will undoubtedly improve their engines so why not give yourself the ability to do the same thing?

This is all just my opinion though. I try to start with the best possible bits to save time and money further down the road if and where possible.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Future proof ?? wassat ?

If the heads are no different , and they can't be ported any better , its a bit of a waste of time the extra work involved fitting it really.

Can anyone answer this which I asked further up the thread ?

was just looking on catcams website , on the 551 , 552 and 553 profiles , do catcams also supply solid lifters as I can't see them on there site , if not who does them , what other complications do you run into fitting either of these over the 423's

Cheers Ian

Ian, catcams does no solid lifters, but you can modify the hydraulics to solids very easy. Pull out the upper ball pin off the basic body with a long-nosed pliers with gently force, remove the inner parts, prepare 16 small steel pins which has to to be inserted within the basic body. These pins have to be matched to adjust the valve clearance. Never use a hydraulic cam with valve clearance or reverse. Catcams states if solids or hydraulic profiles.Adjusting of the valve clearance takes a lot of time first. I`ve made aluminium U-style brackets which are fixing the cam while adjusting procedure towards the bearing bottom. For this the dummy bearing clamp must not be round as the real clamp. Take care that your radial bearing clearance is very similar to the real fit condition, otherwise adjusting goes wrong.
hope i could help you.

Udo