ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whistling sound on a Ph-1 172

Ph-1 Clio 172
Hi,

This is my first post on here, and I hope someone can give me some advice.

My Ph-1 172 has developed a loud whistling noise from the drivers' side of the engine bay that sounds very much like a boiling kettle whistle.

The sound is only present at about 1.5 - 2k rpm, so it can be heard at idle and when driving at low speeds.

I have done a search for similar threads, so sorry if there has already been a solution posted :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Guy

CMR

A ROFLCOPTER
Its most likely the wing mirror you are hearing, when driving cover the 'hole' underneath the mirror (where the sensor is on the passenger mirror) with your hand

Lots of Alfas
Down the drivers side you've got the belts, accessories and the charcoal canister. It could be any of these from a faulty water pump to a worn tensioner. Try and narrow down more where its coming from, e.g. from the belts area, or from the canister just behind the fog light.

Ph-1 Clio 172
Thanks for those suggestions, but it has turned out to be to aux-belt tensioner (I managed to get some time off work and take to to a local expert :))

It was strange as it could only be heard at low revs/idle, presumably some sort of resonating vibration in the bearing or something.

Thanks again for the replies, and I hope this helps anyone else who gets the same problem!