ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whistle/Squeel when hitting 5000rpm

BG PH1 Megane 225
As title really, my car over the past 2 months or so has started to whistle/squeel when hitting 5000rpm up to the red line and it's really starting to become annoying.

Does anyone have any idea what it could be or have this problem? I'm thinking it's exhaust related because when driving past my brother he says it is very audible :dapprove: I've checked the exhaust for any small holes by getting my Dad to cover the tailpipe while it's running and there are no air leaks etc as far as we could tell. I'd really like to resolve it because it sounds like my car is broke when overtaking people :eek:

182 Trophy
Sounds like an air leak in the exhaust on the cat/manifold joint. Replace with genuine Renault parts or this will happen again a few months down the line. IIRC mine was about £30 direct from Renault

Clio RS 182
Sounds like an air leak in the exhaust on the cat/manifold joint. Replace with genuine Renault parts or this will happen again a few months down the line. IIRC mine was about £30 direct from Renault

If it was this, it would do it before 5k revs

BG PH1 Megane 225
So it's just a character of the car? if so it's pretty damn annoying :dapprove: it never used to whistle which is what I find annoying, the car runs fine though (not at the moment however, having some trouble with it misfiring at low revs once warmed up at the minute but that's unrelated to this whistle) :dead: french cars eh!? :eek:

I've got a similar problem, my 182 makes a whining noise kind of like a supercharger whine, it used to do it at 5000 rpm but i noticed that it started occuring earlier at 3500rpm. After getting a stainless exhaust it disappeared somewhat but this is probably because the noise of the exhaust drowns it out a bit. I think that it's the aux belt idler as from having my car up on the ramp the belts look good, but the idler looks a bit sorry for itself and if the bearing is fuckd that's probably whats whining. So i'm gonna get the aux belt kit done soon mainly for the new pulley and HOPEFULLY that will sort it.

182 Trophy
If it was this, it would do it before 5k revs

Pressure will build up the higher the revs, ie, a very small leak will only be noticeable when put under high pressure. This will become worse & eventually start to happen lower & lower down the rev range.

Clio RS 182
Pressure will build up the higher the revs, ie, a very small leak will only be noticeable when put under high pressure. This will become worse & eventually start to happen lower & lower down the rev range.

But surely you wouldn't be able to hear it whilst the engine is screaming its ass off

GW200 FF
does it sound like this?

http://flic.kr/p/8QhNKu whistlin' dixie. :(

If its only under hard revs from about 4k upwards then i had this issue - it was that cat to centre section flange that i couldn't get to seal properly.

I resolved it (after two visits to a garage and a replacement centre section) by visiting the guys at C+C - a custom exhaust place in Glasgow. Basically they chopped the flange off the cat, extended it slightly and put a proper 2 bolt flange in place, along with an identical flange on the centre section. They removed the centre silencer too for a healthier sound :)

Problem solved - absouletly no more blowing / whistling

You can DIY as folks here have done - search will find them. Also check the cat flange itself in case its cracked - apparently thats quite common too.

HTH

Dave

BG PH1 Megane 225
Yep that sounds exactly like my car, I've also had a new centre section of the exhaust put on about 4-5 months ago, so it's just a case of tightening up the bolts on the exhaust sections? :) I'll check for any cracks while I'm there too

GW200 FF
Hey, When my exhaust was in at C+C they said all the clamps etc were tight enough, it was the conical flange on the cat / centre section that just wasn't sitting flush. IMO its a daft setup as its almost impossible to get a good enough seal on it as it is, so the flanged option eliminates the possibility of leaks. Well worth getting it done.