ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whining Noise

Titanium 182
Well some of you may have seen my recent threads about the tram-lining and more recently my belt change. Due to the crappy weather I still haven't had time to check out what could be causing the tram-lining but I will this weekend. Anyway my 182 has always had a whine from the engine bay that increases and decreases with rpm, I presumed it would be something to do with belts but I have just had the whole lot replaced and annoyingly it's still there! I'm pretty sure that it is gradually getting louder... It's most noticeable when stuck in traffic and moving in first gear, it gets quite noticeable with the rpm there.
Anyway after a bit of research it looks like it's either going to be the PAS pump or the alternator.
Are there any methods to diagnosing exactly where the noise is coming from? I just thought that maybe if it was the PAS pump that might also explain the crazy steering issues, probably not though!

Bloody money pit! It's a good job I love this car :tongueclosed:

clio 182 trophy
The engine does have a natural whine similar to a supercharger sound. However it could be what you have said. A video possible?

Titanium 182
The engine does have a natural whine similar to a supercharger sound. However it could be what you have said. A video possible?
I've taken one this morning and will upload tonight. It's definitely a lot louder on initial start up while cold. Then about 3-5 minutes into the journey I am left with what is probably the natural whine.

clio 182 trophy
I've taken one this morning and will upload tonight. It's definitely a lot louder on initial start up while cold. Then about 3-5 minutes into the journey I am left with what is probably the natural whine.
How long have you had the car for? Is this something new that has come along?

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
power steering pump would be my guess.

Started one up the other day after it had all of the fluid drained out of it, it screamed like a whore for 10 mins while we were filling it up with fresh fluid

Titanium 182
Nah I've always heard a whine on start up since I bought it, probably about 7 months ago. It does seem to be getting gradually louder however.

Hopefully the video will help shed some light on it!

2014 Clio 200t edc
Have the belts recently been done? Mainly because when I bought my car i had the normal whine, and since having new belts and tensioners I have a louder whine which I am thinking is the ps pump on its way, probably due to the new tension etc. just a thought. Mine sounds like a mini.

Titanium 182
Yea the belts were done just last weekend! It's not got any louder since getting done but I was hoping the belt change would address the whine, sadly it didn't!

Does yours quiet down after warming up?

RB Clio 182
Mine was whining when I took it to Clioturbo for a conversion, belts doing etc. He told me it was the alternator so I decided to have a new one fitted which stopped it all together.

It was quitle loud and got louder with revs, it sounded a bit like if you whistle and blow through your front teeth at the same time lol.

Titanium 182
Managed to get video uploaded on my lunch. What do you all think? As I said it reduces drastically after about 5 minutes or so and goes to just your normal whine.

You can really hear it on the video lol, actually makes it sound a bit worse than it really is! If you can anything grindy/rattly it's not the engine lol, it's every single panel and screw...

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=21n07c9&s=8
**cold start**

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Managed to get video uploaded on my lunch. What do you all think? As I said it reduces drastically after about 5 minutes or so and goes to just your normal whine.

You can really hear it on the video lol, actually makes it sound a bit worse than it really is! If you can anything grindy/rattly it's not the engine lol, it's every single panel and screw...

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=21n07c9&s=8
**cold start**
Take your noise and add a chirp that gets faster as you rev and you have the sound of my car.

I would say its Normal, May be the alternator just making a noise.
if its annoying you take the Aux belt off and run the car, see if it still does it. if so stick a new Alternator on i suppose.

Titanium 182
Yea that's what I could do with knowing really, I don't mind it too much but if it's on it's way out I would rather get it sorted now before it completely fails on me lol!

Thanks for the input everyone

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I bought one brand new from Wolverhampton Renault on here. If you're doing it you may as well do the aux belt kit. And if you're taking them off and the belts are nearly due you might as well do them too.

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
and while they're off, you'll find that your dephaser wants doing, making a simple task hugely expensive.

didn't OP say belts were done last weekend?

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
and while they're off, you'll find that your dephaser wants doing, making a simple task hugely expensive.

didn't OP say belts were done last weekend?
Yeah it becomes expensive. If belts were done at the weekend then for the sake of like £11 extra I'd just replace the aux belt on its own without the tensioner etc.

Titanium 182
haha yup all my belts have just been changed unfortunately... I'll just wait until it dies on me I think! Think I'll get my dad to do this job, he wouldn't touch the belts due to the correct tools etc but he's a retired mech so I'm sure he'll manage...

Thanks alot