ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

which has better handling? 106gti? 172 cup? clio williams?

Clio DCi 100
Ok ok ive posted a lot of qu's about this lately i'l admit, but for good reason :) Ive decided that its finally time to wave bub bye DCi in favour of something a little more powerful.

I used to own a 106 quiksilver which was slow but i liked the fact it was small and handled a bit like a little go kart, it was brilliant fun round the twisties.

I always planned to upgrade to the gti version to get the speed to match but ended up buyin the DCi cos of circumstances - but now basically i have the chance :)

The cars am currently lookin at are the 106 gti, the clio williams & the 172 cup.

In 1992 Clarkson voted the 106gti the 2nd best handling car in the world and its that that i'm interested in mainly, which car in your opinions has the best handling STANDARD out of these?

Pug 106 GTI
Clio 172 Cup
Clion Williams versions either 1, 2 or 3

Please discuss.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Why don't you try them all out for yourself?

Williams and GTI are far too flimsy nowadays.. I wouldn't feel safe in either :p

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Standard probably the Williams due to the wide track even though ive only driven the other 2! However I was impressed with the handling of my standard 106 gti, but a decent condition standard 106 gti is hard to find now.

106 GTi
Handling is a very preceptive thing - drive them all and see what you prefer. All have different traits and different levels of grip. Only you will know which you prefer.

I am looking into 106 GTi's to replace my 182, the 182 for me has more grip and hence feels more sure footed.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
106 gti did really impress me when I drive it away when I bought it!

Like I say though, quite hard to find a decent one unless you wanna spend

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
definately the 106 gti is the best, ive owned a 172ff and 2 cups, and a saxo vts which is the same as the gti, and the saxo would murder any standard clio through the corners, they even raced a 172 against a saxo on topgear and said the same, if ya just want handling, the 106 is the way,

53 Clio's & counting
everyone will say different things mate,i would say the williams,then 172/106,i wouldnt have a 106 again as i found mine too small,great fun tho

if i was buying id get the williams,drive one and you will see what i mean

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
At that price range, don't overlook the 306 GTI. Ps, handling isn't the ability to change direction (that's agility), handling is what happens when the grip runs out;).

BMW bus
Like a lot of people have said, handling and grip are two different things! My VTS didnt have the grip my Cup has got, but for pure feel and 'chuckability' the VTS was the winner.
So much so that im thinking about getting rid of the Cup and getting another VTS

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
:boring: Car handling and vehicle handling is a description of the way wheeled vehicles perform transverse to their direction of motion, particularly during cornering and swerving. It also includes their stability when moving in a straight line. Handling and braking are the major components of a vehicle's "active" safety. The maximum lateral acceleration is sometimes discussed separately as "road holding". Handling is an esoteric performance area because rapid and violent manoeuvres are often only used in unforeseen circumstances. (This discussion is directed at road vehicles with at least three wheels, but some of it may apply to other ground vehicles
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_handling

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR
:boring: Car handling and vehicle handling is a description of the way wheeled vehicles perform transverse to their direction of motion, particularly during cornering and swerving. It also includes their stability when moving in a straight line. Handling and braking are the major components of a vehicle's "active" safety. The maximum lateral acceleration is sometimes discussed separately as "road holding". Handling is an esoteric performance area because rapid and violent manoeuvres are often only used in unforeseen circumstances. (This discussion is directed at road vehicles with at least three wheels, but some of it may apply to other ground vehicles

Thank you. :star:

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Why don't you try them all out for yourself?

Williams and GTI are far too flimsy nowadays.. I wouldn't feel safe in either :p

Agree'd!

172 cup for me...i thought the trophy was in a league of it's own, then i drove the R27...

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

Thank you. :star:

Was told the def of handling by an Aston Martin chassis engineer, it's the one I agree with;)

Polo GTi
I own both a Cup and Williams a driven a 106GTi around Donnington and Oulton, Williams is by far the best, then the (very close behind) cup then 106 IMHO

My Cup is on Eibachs and the Williams suspension is standard, so was the 106, Cup might feel more planted on original springs maybe?

TVR Cerbera
Ok ok ive posted a lot of qu's about this lately i'l admit, but for good reason :) Ive decided that its finally time to wave bub bye DCi in favour of something a little more powerful.

I used to own a 106 quiksilver which was slow but i liked the fact it was small and handled a bit like a little go kart, it was brilliant fun round the twisties.

I always planned to upgrade to the gti version to get the speed to match but ended up buyin the DCi cos of circumstances - but now basically i have the chance :)

The cars am currently lookin at are the 106 gti, the clio williams & the 172 cup.

In 1992 Clarkson voted the 106gti the 2nd best handling car in the world and its that that i'm interested in mainly, which car in your opinions has the best handling STANDARD out of these?

Pug 106 GTI
Clio 172 Cup
Clion Williams versions either 1, 2 or 3

Please discuss.

In 1992 a 106 may have been good, but i hate to say it things change and it's now 2008. Clarkson sometimes talks to much because i'm quite sure the various supercars and 4wd will wipe the floor with a 106!
It all depends on how much you have to spend.
Most hot hatches will 'handle' well, but dude it's your choice. i could say my cup handles better than my old 205, but i'd be lying, because they are so different. the cup seems safe till you cross that line, whereas the 205 was FUN to drive all over it's limit. it was a much more involving drive than the cup.
But it' your choice, don't believe that one car handles better than another till you try it for yourself

Daz

Ph1 172
Ive had
2x Clio 16v's
Saxo VTS
CRX VT
and now have a 172 ph1

At first I wasnt sure about my clio, but now after pushing it a little more and getting used to it Id definitly say the clio has the best level of grip and is the fastest at changing direction in my opinion (even though its the heaviest :S), the saxo would definitly be second then the valvers followed by the CRX. However I have heard the wide track on the williams makes the world of difference. Has anyone had a valver and a williams? Would love to know peoples opinion on the difference

tiTTy & SV650
in 1992 the 106 gti didnt exist.

handling is not just its ability to change direction its the feedback you get in doing so. how it handles is how it feels...

TVR Cerbera
in 1992 the 106 gti didnt exist.

handling is not just its ability to change direction its the feedback you get in doing so. how it handles is how it feels...

Very true, gti introduced in 96 replacing the xsi. the rallye was a better car than the gti for 'handling ' anyway

tiTTy & SV650
oh and to add, 106 gti, vts, 306 gti-6, 306 rallye, ph quick, cup, williams...

doesnt matter they all handle and will be a joy to drive on the right roads, comes down to budget and personal preferences.

oh and both my 1.6 and 1.9 gti handle better than my 182 but the 182 is way quicker.

Last edited: