ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which 2.0 to turbo?

Titanium 182
Hi all I've been wondering recently about engine conversions on a 2000 clio with cable throttle I would need the pH quick engine but these are getting rare and as I'm thinking of turbo charging to make it a proper sleeper, I have been thinking that perhaps the f4r from a scenic/megane coupe maybe be a better idea due to the RS engine is a high compression engine would I be able to make the same gains from the standard f4r? If not why? Any help much appreciated

Titanium 182
So potentially i f I was to change the cams I could achieve similar power with a turbo without having to change the pistons/fit a thicker head gasket?

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
It's probably the best engine to start with for a turbo conversion. All the Renault sport F4Rs have high compression and wild cams.

Titanium 182
Sounds promising, I have read the sticky about turbo charging in the engine section and a couple of guys mentioned about finding the parts cheaper from elsewhere any suggestions on where to look? Are there any cars that I could source parts from second hand manifolds etc?

PH2 172
Hi all I've been wondering recently about engine conversions on a 2000 clio with cable throttle I would need the pH quick engine but these are getting rare and as I'm thinking of turbo charging to make it a proper sleeper, I have been thinking that perhaps the f4r from a scenic/megane coupe maybe be a better idea due to the RS engine is a high compression engine would I be able to make the same gains from the standard f4r? If not why? Any help much appreciated
Not a recommendation,merely a thought.
There was a 120 bhp F4R installed in Vivaro A/Traffic vans.

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
There's loads of options for mixing and matching in the Renault range. You'd be suprised at what you can swap between F7Ps,F7Rs,F4Rs and F4RTs.

For example Scoff many moons ago dropped a 1.7 crank into an F4R engine to drop the CR. He then proceeded to blow stupid BHP through it using standard rods and pistons. Eventually he broke it but he was thinking outside the box.

You can put an f4rt head on an F4R the problem you have is the downpipe runs where the master cylinder is. Also you need to machine the head to fit an additional pulley as the F4RT Cambelt turns the water pump.

The other headache is VVT as mentioned the RS ones are too wild but the F4RT ones are too mild. There's not a lot of info about other cams in the lower models.

If I was in your position I would find the CR and power outputs from the Renault range that had an F4R fitted and work from there. As @STEVE.M says something that is putting out 120 BHP is definitively going to have mild cams and a sensible CR.

One further note, all exhaust manifolds are the same but inlets vary loads. So meg 225 inlets are different to clio 172s, Clio 197 inlets are different again.

Titanium 182
That is great information thanks, is there an inlet manifold that is used commonly for this sort of conversions, I will have a look and try and find the specs on the lower power engines regard the CR cheers for the help