ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Where to put silencer on custom exhaust system

I'm getting a new exhaust system made up its a straight through from the turbo back and I'm wondering if it will make any difference if I put a silencer in the middle or at the end of the pipe? Which is better for flow? Does it make any difference to sound?

Well I've decided to put a 5" by 12" long straight through silencer just before the back axle so shall see how it sounds

Yep it definitely sounds better with one 12" mid silencer fitted as opposed to one 12" rear box silencer. More on boost noise and less deep bass

Last edited by a moderator:
  Clio 200
What type of silencer did you use? Did you find out if the positioning effects power output at all?
My car is loud and too raspy at the top end, so starting to think about putting in a silencer in the centre section as I originally went unsilenced centre.
Cheers,

What type of silencer did you use? Did you find out if the positioning effects power output at all?
My car is loud and too raspy at the top end, so starting to think about putting in a silencer in the centre section as I originally went unsilenced centre.
Cheers,

One off ebay from mij exhausts

Straight through 3" silencer so don't think it effects power much no back pressure restriction. Defo better sounds from the turbo on boost with that silencer

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
I bought a 20" silencer off eBay.
4" wide and it's a hefty bugger.
I aim to fit it in the next couple weeks.

Clio 200
I presume the straight through types aren't fussy with their placement? I've still got a sports cat in the system so they generally wreck any form of pulse tuning anyway I think?