ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Where to grease me squealers?

Ph2 Clio 172
I've just fitted some new CL5 front pads and the squeal is horrendous! Much worse than the previous set I had (also CL5s).
I applied some Copper grease to the back of the pads before fitting but it seems to have been ineffective. Where else should I put grease to stop them screeching all the time? Do I need to put some on the ends of the pads too, where they sit in the carriers?

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
They should move freely along the channels, wire brush them as the corrosion sets in and jams them.. I had a set of normal pads get stuck and burn out the discs. If they rattle around like mad there is a chance your carriers are worn, but it's slim..

If the pad has a rubber pad on the back, don't grease it, it's meant to stick to the piston.. Grease it and it can't.

Put some on the guides, that's it.

Shazam

Ph2 Clio 172
Yes the shims went years ago as a lot of after market pads don't fit with them.

The CLs have loads of room and you can hear them rattling around when you drive. I can move them about in the carrier too. The previous pads did the same but didn't squeal anywhere near as much.

The current squealing is awful. Litterally all braking at low speed makes them scream. Have I got it the wrong way round and should grease the ends and clean the grease off the back of the pads?

Ph2 Clio 172
Grabbed one of those Mintex kits and fitted it tonight. Put a bit of the lube on the ends of the pads where they sit in the carriers, and cleaned off the back of the pads and the carriers and attached the self adhesive rubber pads. Went for a quick "check the brakes still work" drive and they are much better! No rattle and only minimal low volume squeal that just seems to be the standard for track pads. Thanks for the advice guys.

Reactions: Gus
  R5gtt, 182, volvo...
possible your calipers aren't releasing your pads efficiently? Grubby behind the dust seals, lazy piston (return) seal...

Is this just you, or does everyone get it.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Have you got any other pads to try so you can eliminate the calipers being at fault. Feel your pain though squeeling brakes get on your nerves after a while, also people looking at you thinking your car is fucked everytime you pull up to traffic lights.

Ph2 Clio 172
They replaced a set of identical pads that used to squeal only occasionally, usually when cold and only at low speed.

Adding the backing pads and the lube on the ends has helped massively, but they still squeal every time I come to a stop.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
They squeal, that's it end of. Nothing you can do about it, mine did get a bit better after a good beating on a trackday but you will never get them to act like road pads.

I wouldn't bother with any type of brake grease as it does nothing with them.