ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Where could my 182 rust?

Inferno 182
I have owned a few classics before my Clio and hate rust. Because of this, I have got into a routine of rust protection. Mostly under body, inside wheel arches etc.
Question is, has anyones Clio Mk2 started rusting in a particular area?
I am interested to make sure I inject wax in the right places. Door bottoms etc.
Are the rear arches prone to rust?
Any scare stories, and pictures, welcome.
Cheers
Al

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Seen a few with rust around the fuel filler cap, not sure if its just phase1's which suffer from this though.

Recaro'd 182
i had it on the old phase 1 filler cap and on the rear arches. everywhere else was ok after 8 years when i had it.

ValverInBits
it's just MK1s (ie not a 172) that you need to worry about.

But check the bottom of the doors (inside) and the jacking points.
Are you good at rust treatment/prevention? A few tips/production recommendations wouldnt go a miss if you've got any :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I've never had a problem on any of my Clios.

(I tell a lie, one had a new bonnet under warranty due to slight corrosion)

Inferno 182
it's just MK1s (ie not a 172) that you need to worry about.

But check the bottom of the doors (inside) and the jacking points.
Are you good at rust treatment/prevention? A few tips/production recommendations wouldnt go a miss if you've got any :)

By no means an expert I'm afraid but I have done it a fair few times. I'll write a simple guide when I get the chance.
It is dead easy to do, just very messy. Choice of products is also very important. Waxoyl is okay, the most well known brand but there are better products made by Dinitrol and Bilt Hamber. Waxoyl hardens on contact with cold metal more than the others so is nothing like as good at 'creeping' which is important for the best protection. There are different products for different areas of the car so not as simple as just applying 1 poduct everywhere.
It seems people can't be bothered doing it as you don't actually get to see a benefit, and it is about long term protection. I think it well worth paying £40 and a bit of time every 2 years if it prolongs the life and appearance of the car.