ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

When you lot go on about heating up a stubborn bolt, what do you use?

172DD Cup
butane torch? propane torch? this sort of thing: linky

and would you use it in a confined space, ie under a car on axle stands?

a low one
Yeah that sort of thing would be fine, probably cheaper buying one thats non car specific though, like from a camping shop or something.

172DD Cup
butane or propane, or of no significance?

and how do you know when it's done, just heat until it glows red?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Its like being at work, its not a confined space if there is a second point of exit (well we decided that today anyway lol)

Anyway, I have used one that has two small canisters, a regulator and small torch attached, gives a really accurate small flame. Someone on here will know what i'm talking about.

ph1 172
If you've cut the lambda could you not take the cat to a local fab shop with propane/acetylene? They would get it out in 5 mins no doubt for cheap.

ur megane r26
If it is the back lambda why dont you remove the heat shield too, then get out from under the car and work standing up, much easier especially if you have a work bench and all that

172DD Cup
it's the front lambda. i'm thinking of going with the heat at the moment. fiddling with the bolts on the cat joint just above the subframe looks like more of a nightmare than i have now!

Last edited:
  ph1 172
Easy to remove with the right extensions and knuckle on a ratchet and a friend to hold a spanner in the engine bay. Oh and a pit helps;)

If your on your own on your drive I feel for you!

172DD Cup
holding the spanner's not too bad, it stays lodged on the lambda nut quite well, then i have a ratchet or breaker bar with a spark plug socket on the end. the spark plug socket has the 6 sided 22mm shape at the top, which goes on the spanner. instant lambda tool :) just a bit annoyed that i managed to crack it off, and NOW it's stubborn, more so than before i cracked it.

on a heating note, this looks good click me

do these things have a built in igniter?