ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheelspin - hop & judder

Clio 200 Cup
Carefully pulling away from a set of traffic lights in the wet yesterday I got a lot of wheelspin despite being very careful with the throttle.

The point is that the dashboard shook violently as if the wheels were hopping. Im not a chav and I generally try to avoid wheelspin - this road was particularly greasy.

Is this indicative of worn bushes or something? the car is a 172 Cup with 40k miles on the clock.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received,

Cheers,

Kevin

Last edited:
Its called axle tramp and is normal. You obviously were'nt being that carefull with the throttle ;)

I've only done it a few times. Seems to happen when you just catch the point where the wheels begin to slip and manage to hold it there without getting full blown wheelspin (at least it does to me!)

a thirsty one
its normal, civic type r's do it even worse.

on my 16's with mich pe2's it does it (new tread) my track 15's with parada spec2's dont though thats with t/c off the stiff front suspension doesnt help.

feels horrible though.

R35 GTR
not enough power at the front wheels.lol. My old 172 used to do it, but the 182 doesnt, just keeps the wheels spinning.

Monaco Blue Mk2
I get it in the same place when it's wet and with good new tyres, pulling out of morrisons car park. No matter how gently I let the clutch of, or how low I keep the revs, always happens.

Clio Mk2 DCI
Sorry for the Necro-post, but I fitted some alloys to my dci today and pulling out of the car park the car did this. I was thinking that I had forgotten about tightening up the wheel bolts on one wheel. The slightly smaller steel wheels sometimes spun if given a little to much go pedal at the same place. Honestly, sh@t it big time

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Sorry for the Necro-post, but I fitted some alloys to my dci today and pulling out of the car park the car did this. I was thinking that I had forgotten about tightening up the wheel bolts on one wheel. The slightly smaller steel wheels sometimes spun if given a little to much go pedal at the same place. Honestly, sh@t it big time
Great news. Thanks for sharing.

Clio Mk2 DCI
What tyres
Michelin rears and some budgets up front. The steel wheels that were on previously would spin and they were 14s. The new (to me) alloys are 15s and they gave me a proper fright! Real machine gun judder. I had to come home, check the bolts and pressure.... Change pants etc....

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
If it did it before and then now ^

You sure it’s the tyres. Of the clios I’ve owned never happened to me

PH2 172
Yes. It is great news. This post gave me confidence that I hadn't done something daft when fitting my wheels. Thanks for the show of support.

Ditch the budgets before you find one, and put some Rainsport 3`s on the front.
If it still does it, look elsewhere.
Are they 185/55r15?

monaco 172
Sounds to me like poor throttle and clutch control when setting off and not judging the conditions.

It's easy to get the wheels to spin up in one of these, especially in the current weather we are having.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Wheel hop occurs when you are just breaking traction and movement in the suspension allows the wheel to spin.

Can happen on almost any car, try not to do it as it's not good for mounts etc. It did happen in my 172 for what it's worth, and that had brand new suspension on it (including all mounts).

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Lots of FWD cars are bad for this, Whiteline sell some kits to add a bit of caster up front for some cars to help with it. Probably not much use in this situation though.

Have you tried moving the branded tyres to the front to confirm if it's tyre related? That would be my first port of call.

PH2 172
On reflection, even with the worst tyres possible, this should not be happening on a gentle throttle.
It does remind me of the 1.2L where the gearbox was not bolted up tight to the engine though.
@MattDci

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
That. Unless you can’t drive there will be an issue. Unless it’s you can’t drive then that will be the issue.