ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

wheel bolt snapped!!

clio 172 cup
Hi guys

well detailing car today, took wheels off doing inside of wheels & arches, putting last wheel back on tightening bolts and snap!

took wheel back off and bolt thread left in and can not get it out.

any one had this happen? will need drilling out? Going to be expensive?

:(

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Piccies (With wheel off).

Should be able to pop some grips on it. Unless you've threaded it wrong.

corsa ecoflex
this happened to me on my old clio gtt....in the end i had to take it to my local garage and they managed to somehow drill and tap it out...cost me £25 i think

clio 172 cup
Ill get pick up bit later as off to local show, that's why I was cleaning it :(, cars staying in garage now.

drill into what is left of the bolt, and use either an allen key or torx bit in a ratchet, hit it into what is left of the bolt with a hammer and turn the bolt out...

I did this recently to remove a snapped stud which had been fitted using threadlock

Ex-User (36231)

ClioSport Club Member
Last time this happened to me I found sticking a new (second hand) hub on easier than getting the two that had snapped out! Was £30 and an hour for me to do it.

FF Clio 182
They will drill the middle and reverse tap the inside then simply unscrew it :) easy fix, happens more often than you think :)

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Screw extractors is the word your looking for :)

​Fml lol

cheers

Screw%20Extractor%20Set%20(Spiral%20Flute).jpg

If its not flush with the hub you could always take the wheel off and get some mole grips or a stillson wrench on it.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Personally i'd use a bolt extractor rather than those screw extractors . If the bolts in that tight it snapped the head off i doubt the smaller screw extractors would be up to the job . You run the risk of making what's left of the bolt worse .

Something like these would do it . Or take it to a local tyre place , they'll get it out for you .

http://www.screwfix.com/p/irwin-5-piece-bolt-grip-nut-remover-set/96028

I'm not saying this exact set , this is just an example . You'll need to measure the diameter of what's left of the wheel bolt then buy the correct size .