ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whats the fastest you've been going when you've changed down into 2nd

Just wondering? I never change down into 2nd at speeds any faster than 20mph cuz it feels stiff if tried above that speed.

Whats the fastest you've been going when you've changed down into 2nd and how did the car handle it? Did it go in easily, make a creaking noise etc?

Cheers

i think mate the car does not allow you to down into a gear if it feels the revs will actually damage the car or are to much but i may be wrong this is why sometimes it wont let you engage it

i think mate the car does not allow you to down into a gear if it feels the revs will actually damage the car or are to much but i may be wrong this is why sometimes it wont let you engage it

it wierd cuz sometimes it feels stiffer when going 15 mph than when going 20mph etc. So as long as when the 2nd gear would be engaged the revs would not go over say 4000 then will it go in ok??

Valver..
ummmm....few track days ive dropped down into 2nd doin 30mph, and then take it up to 55mph then into 3rd, they aint spot on speeds but around there..

Golf Mk3 Gti 8v
About 55mph in the works car. It'll do 55mph in second, so no reason not to change into 2nd at 55mph.

wll there is realy if the car does 55 in 2nd, an you in another gear say travelong nicely at 55 in 5th gear how can you put it into 2nd at 55 that is the top speed for 2nd gear.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
in an old Cavalier that i took in part exchange, i managed to slam it into second at about 70. It hit the limiter and made one hell of a noise, but it was fine!

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Depends on the circumstances surely?

When i've be winding the car down, through the gears higest i've gone from 3rd to 2nd is 50 iirc.

al

ST on the way...
About 70mph @ Donnington..... oops :eek: lol

TBH though, it went in fine, as soon as the revs got to about 8k I realised my mistake.

what causes the creaking noise?

say if your rolling back slowly coasting and try to engage reverse gear and the gearbox creaks, whats causing this?

Is the noise the gearbox breaking up, bits snapping etc???

al

ST on the way...
Lol, it's not a creak, it's the teeth of the gears grinding against each other.

About 55mph in the works car. It'll do 55mph in second, so no reason not to change into 2nd at 55mph.

wll there is realy if the car does 55 in 2nd, an you in another gear say travelong nicely at 55 in 5th gear how can you put it into 2nd at 55 that is the top speed for 2nd gear.

Easy peasy. As your slowing down for the lovely bend approaching, wait till you hit 55ish, and slam it onto 2nd gear, a few bounces off the limiter confirm your gear selection, and also slow the car down nicely to enter the bend. :evil:

Breaking A 172 Replica
I often drop down to second to over take something if i am going at about 40.

In my 1.2 it doesn't really overtake in 3rd at those speeds.

RB 182 with CUP packs
No need to be hitting the limiter in a 172/182 imo. I never have.

Unless driving very aggressive on track & don't want to disturb the balance of the car say mid corner.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
About 75 in my old 1.4, was meant to be 4th but kinda missed!! Dropped the clutch straight back in before it had a chance to hit the limiter thnakfully, cos it would have gone tearing past it!!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
i did this in a courtesy car, was a 2litre non turbo diesel mk5 golf, was doing about 60 around a country road, and began to slow for a corner but just engine breaking through the gears, but insted of getting 4th i got 2nd!!

it redlined at 4.5k, but the clock went up to 7, and it hit 7!

s**t myself as the car had only done 300miles from brand new, but handled it like a true vw should!

Nippy white cup
No idea on this really...just change down coming to a bend or junction and if I need to stop quick I chnge down earlier lol

Chris

as needed, surely above 50mph

rev limiter doesn't help when downshifting, if u change too soon, u will kill the engine

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I regularly drop from 3rd to 2nd at about 55mph or so, maybe even a little higher at times

Double de-clutching makes it easier to get it into the lower gear, and a heel/toe blip smooths things out when you bring the clutch back up.

So long as you are sympathetic to the needs and limitations of the 'box there's no harm done at all.

I'm another one who has managed to accidentally go for second at about 70 the unexpected noise of the engine bouncing of the limiter made me get the clutch in faster than I ever have.
I remember seeing a Honda Civic that had been put into second gear while cruising on the motorway at around 80, what was left of the engine internals was mainly in the sump!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
How the hell do you accidently change to second at that speed?

HBB

G81 M3 Touring & A35
I thought (but could be wrong) if you change down to early i.e. wheel speed gonna take engine speed past gearing ratio then it locks the driving wheels anyway. Can't remember what its called.

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
in my old 1.6 8v i changed from 5th to 4th at *10 the fooker nearl blew up haha

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
yeah but from my experience how do you do it? you down ever have to push left for a 5th to 4th change

I don't understand why so many of you havn't got into 2nd until very low speeds 40mph is regular for me to drop it down to second.

Byy the way this a is a diesel so its like doing it at 55 in a petrol.

In my defence my gearlinkage is worn and 4th and 2nd are not very far apart!
Like Edde says and with the power band being so high your not getting the most you could out of it never going into second above 40.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
i change from 3rd to second at 40, best for overtaking unts who drive at 40mph.

When i was a novice I went to drop down from 5th to 4th on the motorway at 80mph, trouble is I was far to keen and aggresive and hit second, no limiter on a mk2 xr2 the rev counter went off the clock and hit the back stop LOL. Egnine was fine though. lol.