ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

whats the difference ?

206,172 Cup,focus,X5
Im lookin for a set of rear dampers for my 172 cup and wondered what the difference was between the other models ???

The ebay listing say sutable for the 1.2 1.4 1.6 16v etc and not suitable for the 2.0. Why is this ???

Do all the 172 and 182's run the same rear damper ???

Ben

Why is this ???

The rear damping rate is increased: to match the increased spring rate... to match the increased vehicle weight... in order to maintain a suitable "damping ratio" (a ratio of the actual damping rate to the "ideal" damping rate)... to provide the desired ride quality.

There have been some threads quite recently with a bit of faff about are 172/182 cup/non-cup dampers interchangeable and saying some of the traders on here have accidentally written the wrong part number in stickied threads (e.g. this one http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...R-FREQUENTLY-ASKED-PRICES-UPDATED-FOR-2013*** ). Some other people then said it's the same part but with a different number.

I'd suggest either search until the end of time, or just give Adam @ Wolverhampton a ring tomorrow morning. They're cheap as chips & liable to failing so sensible to buy new tbh.

206,172 Cup,focus,X5
The rear damping rate is increased: to match the increased spring rate... to match the increased vehicle weight... in order to maintain a suitable "damping ratio" (a ratio of the actual damping rate to the "ideal" damping rate)... to provide the desired ride quality.

There have been some threads quite recently with a bit of faff about are 172/182 cup/non-cup dampers interchangeable and saying some of the traders on here have accidentally written the wrong part number in stickied threads (e.g. this one http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...R-FREQUENTLY-ASKED-PRICES-UPDATED-FOR-2013*** ). Some other people then said it's the same part but with a different number.

I'd suggest either search until the end of time, or just give Adam @ Wolverhampton a ring tomorrow morning. They're cheap as chips & liable to failing so sensible to buy new tbh.

Thanks for telling me what dampers do . Lol

when u say cheap as chips my local main dealer want £120 for a pair.

i can get a set of 1.4 rear dampers for £17 a pair on ebay

Ben

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Those EBay ones will be the most basic cheap thing you can buy. Fine for trips to tescos but not enthusiastic driving. Anything around 50 quid for a genuine or OE spec shock is reasonable really. Peugeot want 70 quid a shock for a 206. I went with KYB for my 206 at 41 quid because they now make Peugeot s shocks. Genuine Renault front's aren't much more than that and worth it. It's what I'll be buying when my fronts die.

206,172 Cup,focus,X5
FLOL your local dealer is proper robbing you. They're £45 each retail.

i wonder if every main dealership has a different profit margin as they are franchises . I guess so ??

Even eurocar parts want £50 each as well !!!

Ben

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Some do. Euro car parts type places will usually give you a choice but if only Original Equipment standard parts will do a lot of places won't take the chance. KYB's shock range has a Billy basic oil filled range for some cars.

Thanks for telling me what dampers do . Lol

when u say cheap as chips my local main dealer want £120 for a pair.

i can get a set of 1.4 rear dampers for £17 a pair on ebay

Ben

I'm not too sure if that's sarcastic. If it is, fine, but you explicitly asked what the difference is so I don't know what sort of response you expected?

When I say cheap as chips I mean circa £30 a side from a trader on here.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
I paid 50 quid a shock for genuine Ford items on my XR2 10 years ago. Renaults shocks are really cheap! Can change then like service items compared to some cars. Would stop those nasty nuts on the fronts from seizing up.