ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What wax would you buy, around £120?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah sorry. Separate the waxes by a length of masking tape. Gives a better indication rather than edge to edge.

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Yeah sorry. Separate the waxes by a length of masking tape. Gives a better indication rather than edge to edge.

Cheers gally ill do that. Ill do that in a couple of weeks. Ill strip the carbon back with Rejuvenate

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Should do the bottom half of each door with each wax too rather than just the bonnet.

Bottoms of the doors get alot of dirt etc so would show how the waxes perform. Imo

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Should do the bottom half of each door with each wax too rather than just the bonnet.

Bottoms of the doors get alot of dirt etc so would show how the waxes perform. Imo

True in one sense, when testing waxes I typically do a full half of the car with one, and the other side with a second. Problem with that is you can only really compare boot, roof and bonnet as they're side by side. Plus dependent on which roads you use, passenger side can get covered in considerable more grime on all the B roads I have to use. The boot lid would be a more ideal location for hi dirt areas.

Kyle, stick to 50/50's on bonnet and bootlid. Or maybe do it when I'm over as I haven't used shield in ages!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The sides are a tricky thing due to a lot of debris. Can sort of mess up boutique waxes and their performance tests.

Bonnet and roof are good for fall out and constant weather. Just a simple test. Glasur on doors/lower areas would never really hold up that well to hundreds of miles a week motorway driving.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
True in one sense, when testing waxes I typically do a full half of the car with one, and the other side with a second. Problem with that is you can only really compare boot, roof and bonnet as they're side by side. Plus dependent on which roads you use, passenger side can get covered in considerable more grime on all the B roads I have to use. The boot lid would be a more ideal location for hi dirt areas.

Kyle, stick to 50/50's on bonnet and bootlid. Or maybe do it when I'm over as I haven't used shield in ages!

That hadnt even crossed my mind! ill let yous off :p

Agree with the bootlid though.

R14 CUP
I'm in a similiar predicament, I'm after a similiar valued wax an I want something that just feels nice, durability isn't particularly an issue.

I was tempted to go over my budget as get BOS, but I'm now swaying towards Glasur. I love using carbon, whilst it's not that expensive, it produces excellent results for a £50 wax & it feels lovely to use.

ITB BG 182
I'm in a similiar predicament, I'm after a similiar valued wax an I want something that just feels nice, durability isn't particularly an issue.

I was tempted to go over my budget as get BOS, but I'm now swaying towards Glasur. I love using carbon, whilst it's not that expensive, it produces excellent results for a £50 wax & it feels lovely to use.

If you not wanting to piss around with this that and the other, then my personal recommendations would be Swissvax Shield or Mirage.

I have ABD'd Abyss - nice to apply but apply to thick and its a b**ch to get off, yet it does last a bloody long time, doesn't feel like its been waxed a week after it has. Yet the water beads for a while after.£60

ABD Chasm, more carnauba % in the wax, Ease to apply and take off even in a thicker application. Gives a nice gloss, about £50, Not much beading after a week.

AG HD, its a 30 pound pot, what do you want for a 30 quid pot where the packaging costs £20?

Zymol Carbon, I love the stuff but I find it picky, add it to a warm panel and its easy to come off, a hot panel and youve got no chance plus the durability wont be much, cold panel and it takes forever to go off and then is a bar steward to get right. But will last.

Swissvax Shield and Mirage... I wish that from the off I just got one of these two... I know its £110-£130 for each pot but theres just some thing about it that makes me reach for either one and go past all the others. The durability is Great, the feel is some thing different, application and removal is second to none on cold, warm or hot panels.

Now I am not doing this as a job but I do help people with their cars for shows etc etc and the only ones that goes on my car is Mirage over Shield when I want to spend a little time doing it. Or if I am being lazy then Abyss with a buffer for removal.

IMO - Get Shield for the money you want to spend, hell, if you lived closer I would let you use it for a day!

john182rs

I know slightly off topic but referring to removal of abyss.

Are you using a damp applicator? I had a few issues with application and removal initially but now I use a damp microfibre applicator and I can do the whole side of a car with one swipe and when it comes to remove it 5-10 minutes later it practically falls off the paint. I find it removes with just the weight of the microfibre. This product is pretty impressive I think.

Defiantly worth a try as this really worked for me.

What does mirage smell like? I've got a sample of shield and I can honestly say it's the worst smelling wax I own. Slightly chemical I think. I'm sure it's gonna be very nice to use but first impressions are it doesn't smell as nice as some other waxes and we all know smell plays a big part in how a wax feels.

Last edited:
Yeah it does Dave. I was struggling to put my finger on exactly what it smells like but it is grapefruit.

Don't get me wrong it's not bad smelling but compared to something like bouncers 22 or even desire/illusion I'm just not sure I really like the smell of it.

Maybe it will grow on me when I get round to using it.

Edit: This is just my opinion of course. I'm sure there's people out there that really like the smell of shield. I have no doubt it will be nice to use tho and ultimately that's all that matters.

Last edited:

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Bos is probably the best smelling wax but there is something wrong with Jack's nose!