ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What tyres do you run on track?

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
For what you have said. Get a decent set of road tyres for everyday. The hankook v12's are good, or were when I had them, used on one trackday too. Get a spare set of more track focused tyres as spares, for trackday only on the spare set of wheels, that's what I will do eventually when the weather picks up a tad.
Agree with this. Unless you are very restrained you will get sucked into trying to keep up with faster stuff when the tyres really bite in warm weather and kill the edges. The track day tyres are better for this.

If you drive a smooth fast road style on track, use some weight transfer to take some work off the front tyres and stick to 15min sessions road tyres cope pretty well.

Some tracks are harder on tyres than others so it also depends on where your going.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Best thing you'd could do if you drive a performance car. My dad and I will be getting my sister on track in the cup and book her some tuition once she's passed her test as you gain skills that really can save your ass when the dogdirt hits the fan out on the road.

Track 172 Cup
Well I have a 125d BMW and had rear wheel drive for the last 7 years (only time I regret it is winter lol) dad's had Audi's for the last 10 years and has just bought himself a V10 R8+ and we got the bug after going on the Audi track day but for what the clio cost (set of tyres on the R8 lol) it was worth it to have a dedicated track hack rather than damaging plus I wouldn't wanna take my log burning auto BMW on track. Plus like you say the skills you learn and car control on track where it's safer are invaluable.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
You'll be surprised at the pace the Clios are capable of once you get comfortable with them and realise that their limit is a lovely place to play. It's the reason I keep mine standard and am as I said starting to prefer the wet and cold days. Renault did a cracking job as far as I'm concerned. I think they got the balance right as the 106's and saxo handle better but can be really twitchy. The Clio isn't. A panicky lift off mid corner is less likely to cause issue and is easier to correct. You may however find the Clio a bit understeery until you can exploit that big lump up the front to get the back doing what you want. This is where the tuition comes in. Getting me all excited about my next track day in the new year. My weekly jaunt in the Cup getting goaded on dual carriageways does nothing for me it just keeps the rust off the discs.

My Federal rsr after one track day.
Would you really buy these?

i use federals on my focus track car and i had 2 tyres that split. one was very faint and i didnt worry about that one but the other was slightly worse. i used it for 2 track days with no problems but after that i emailed pics and a complaint to mytyres.co.uk who i bought it off and they sent a brand new tyre to me with no fuss.they wanted old one back though.

as for the issue stated of needing more camber to stop excess shoulder wear. i run 3.5 so wear is minimul compared to my brothers civic who was on -1. but my mate run dunlop dire77as on his track car with -1 camber and shoulder wear was far worse after one day than the feds. on his second track day a chunk of rubber tore off the shoulder a few inches long. federals are awesome value for the money.