ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What type oil?

Renault Clio MK4 RS
Hi all,

Ive got a 1.2 8v clio which is in need of an oil change and i want to get it done this weekend.. Ive got the bosch oil filter for it.. But need the oil.. Halford recommended 5-30w Semi synthetic.. some say 5-40w and others say 10-40w and im a bit confused on what i need to use.. my cars just gone over 102,000 miles. Some say that the 5-30w semi synthetic sounds a bit to tappety and to thin for their liking but i think that is what my car is using now and i have realised that my engine does sound a bit more louder than when i first bought it.

Could someone shed some light on this for me please.

5-40w fully synthetic is what i would chuck in it but not the halfords crap.

Eurocarparts have an offer on oil and filters at the moment something like 25% off

Renault Clio MK4 RS
yeah that is what im looking on. They are only doing the free filter with the triple qx oil which i dont know if its any good :p

53 Clio's & counting
I'd use either a 5 40 fully stynth or a 10 40 semi synth in that - both woul be 100% fine. Use any half decent make, castrol/shell etc

Impreza Wagon
I use the Triple QX 5w40 Fully Syn in the 1.2 Clio and I've not had any problems and I've been using it for years.

Renault Clio MK4 RS
Sounds like ill do that then and get the QX stuff then, Plus its a bargain for the oil with free filter:

Coupon Benefit: -£5.50
(25% Off Selected Car Parts!)
SubTotal:£21.98
GRAND TOTAL (inc VAT): £16.48

Renault Clio MK4 RS
Yeah it is a good bargain went and collected them today. Going to try and get a new sump bolt with washer to replace whilst doing it and got an engine flush aswell so i can flush the crap out the system to get it running nice :)

You just need a sump washer not bolt.

Also don't put engine flush in as you never get it all out afterwards, so it starts to degrade the new oil you put in.

Renault Clio MK4 RS
ahh damn i bought it now. I think this one you run in the engine for 15minutes with the oil in it now and then whilst the oils warm just take it out along with the old oil then put fresh oil in. But seen some where when you take old oil out you then pour the flush through which then keeps the flush in the engine which mixes with the new oil :p

53 Clio's & counting
DONT USE FLUSH.

Most have too many detergents that do more harm than good - in fact it can burn off deposits that can cause problems on older engines - take the advise, stick it in ebay and get rid of it