ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What to do?! Meg 250 or mod the 200

Mod the Clio ffs! Why are people so against spending money on clios yet bum everyone who has a mental spec track Clio!? Amazes me!
maybe because he didnt buy the 200 with the same intention as f0xy/burp/ph-reebone(for example) did. He's doing this because hes suddenly come into money and is willing to frivolously spend it.

Iceberg 172
But he is now in a position to do something like those guys!!

I say do it! Especially as the 200 hasn't been that heavily fettled with so it'd be something new!

I find STD cars a bit boring. So saying 'just get a faster car' to me is just the boring route.

If he's got a decent chunk of money which now means he has no mortgage, good stable job and he's not worried about depreciation then why not!?

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels
If you plan on keeping the car a long time then why not. I'd only sell mine when I become bored of it... which I'm no where near that yet. When I do get bored I'll just up da boost innit

Leon Cupra 300
If you can afford 20k on a car (when you have rid of yours) there are so many better options than modding a 200 or buying a 250, all IMO opinion of course.

20k could probably see you in a 500hp Evo if that's your thing (not mine)

My 20k would go to a 550i, as per a thread few days ago.

Z4
I'd go for an r26 r and throw some money at that...300bhp and it would be seriously mental. It'll hold its cash much better, be far more rare, and you'll win loads of cool points.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Hi, if you've just come into the money why not take stock of it first and see how you feel in a month or two? See if you still really want the 250 or if the idea has died down. I'd say part of the 'need' or 'want' for the new car is just because the money has given you options you haven't had before. Obviously I don't know how much money you've come into but the cost to change of 8k is alot of money and could be spent on capital items like a house.

I'd say chill for a month, see how you feel and have this conversation then.

Fiesta ST2
why come on CS and ask what to do just spend it in whatever way makes you happy! not everyone is going to agreed with what you want to do :)

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Jesus at some of these replys :S

You really have to ask your self what you want from your car, if the 200 isnt enough power then, yes, definatley go for the Megane 250.

Modifying the 200 is (imo) daft, why compromise an already good alround package? It goes well, it stops well, it handles well.

To quote a legend of mine, if you want a fast car, buy a fast car.

Although i have modified some of my cars in the past, its only been for aesthetic purposes, all blow and no go etc

2=clio 200
Everyone knows you can buy a better car. But that is not the point. I take it you love your clio. Ok fine. Keep it standard. Its a great car. No-one would bemoan you for that. But what happens when you do something mad. Like a turbo etc etc. The car suddenly becomes unique. And that is special. Not in monetary terms, but because the car means something to you. If you can afford it. I say go play at fast and furious. Why? Because you only live once.

dk

911 GTS Cab
lol @ the people telling him how to spend his money or save it, hes asked which option, not whether to save it or spend it!

gotta be the 250 imo (obvious people would sway towards the clio mod on here), sounds like you probably wanted one before but went for the clio as you couldn't afford one, now you can you want to upgrade, and its a perfect upgrade.

best move i ever made was telling myself there were better cars out there than my 182 and moving to the r26, now the 250 on its way, onwards and upwards!

DB.

BMW 440i
Sell the 200, buy a Golf Gti imo.

Nice set of BBS's on there, some coilovers and you will have the perfect hatch imo.

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
thought i would put my input in, i bought my 200 in december, spent alot doing it up (carbon bonnet, roll cage, panel filter, painted badges, alcantara, alot of tyres) and ive just gone and swapped it for a megane r26 which is an amazing car.

but it lacks that chuckability that the clio has. in my honest opinion if u have lets say 4k to spend on the 200 i would do this.

renault r3 airbox (£160 ish)
carbon bonnet (£450 new)
KW v3 coilovers (£1200)
recaro sportster cs seats if u havent already got them

that would make your clio look and handle exceptionally well, it was the plan for mine until i got my hands on the r26, yes i do miss my clio alot, its more fun to throw about because you know it wont let go or bite your head off with power mid corner.

depends what u want from a car imo but keep the clio for a few months and see how you feel, get used to driving the clio properly and see how you feel.

lynden

dk

911 GTS Cab
thought i would put my input in, i bought my 200 in december, spent alot doing it up (carbon bonnet, roll cage, panel filter, painted badges, alcantara, alot of tyres) and ive just gone and swapped it for a megane r26 which is an amazing car.

but it lacks that chuckability that the clio has. in my honest opinion if u have lets say 4k to spend on the 200 i would do this.

renault r3 airbox (£160 ish)
carbon bonnet (£450 new)
KW v3 coilovers (£1200)
recaro sportster cs seats if u havent already got them

that would make your clio look and handle exceptionally well, it was the plan for mine until i got my hands on the r26, yes i do miss my clio alot, its more fun to throw about because you know it wont let go or bite your head off with power mid corner.

depends what u want from a car imo but keep the clio for a few months and see how you feel, get used to driving the clio properly and see how you feel.

lynden
you seem to think you know the R26 well now after a couple of days ownership and pootling along a motorway at 60 ;)

can throw the r26 around, no issues, and it'll stick to the road better than a 200 with the lsd pulling you around corners with much less oversteer etc. Yes its heavier but if you point it somewhere, it will go in that direction.

not saying either is better at cornering, its just different.

dk

911 GTS Cab

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
if you waited for the next special model you would be waiting all the time with renault, we know they like their special editions, theres never a good time to buy where you will not have a new model out within 2 years.

fair point, but still i thought about buying a 250, but as its the first RS of the new megane i will wait to see what the next one is at least..... as the current one hasnt the x factor for me lol