ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What to Buy? 197/VXR/TYPE R etc

Hi all,

I'm a big fan of the RenaultSport having owned 4 different models over the years.
I fancy a change and due to cheap car prices thought I would buy something quite new.
Current drive; Civic Type R 2002 198hp at the wheels.

I realise the CTR is a very "unique" type of delivery having owned 2 and a DC5 but here is my shortlist and I have driven all;

197 F1
MEGANE R26
LEON FR 550 (current shape)
LEON CUPRA (current shape)
CORSA VXR
CIVIC TYPE R (current shape)
MAZDA 3 MPS
MINI COOPER S JCW and GT
GOLF GTI Mark 5

I realise this is quite an eclectic mix but anyone driven more than one of these to give me some advice, maybe on build etc.

Thanks,
Demon

there are too many things to take into consideration when picking a car... mostly depends on individual circumstances.

surely that removes it out of the shortlist?
the list is so vast... you need to break it down as to how much you want to spend on buying and general maintenance... set your budget etc and what you actually want from the car... speed, speed + comfort, etc all good cars but all overlap, where one falls another excels and vice versa

surely that removes it out of the shortlist?
the list is so vast... you need to break it down as to how much you want to spend on buying and general maintenance... set your budget etc and what you actually want from the car... all good cars but all overlap, where one falls another excels and vice versa

OK, VXR - OUT
FR why buy that when I could have the Cupra so - OUT
GOLF GTI - bit boring - OUT
MAZDA 3 MPS - bit boring - OUT
MEGANE - If I go for RS rather have the 197 F1 so -OUT
MINI - SUPERCHARGER WHINE - OUT
GP - OVERPRICED - OUT
CTR - STYLING - OUT

RB 197 fatty
yeah, that list is so huge and so many factors to take into consideration your mind will pop!!

but, if i had to chose my next car, ignoring the 197 as iv already got one..... id go for the leon Cupra!

lovely car, it was my second choice after the 197....still have a soft spot for them!

but again, depends on what your 'criteria' is!

BB TUNED 182 (220BHP)
Focus st3 All round great car,

Nice stlying very quick easily make 280hp plenty of space should you need it,

yeah, that list is so huge and so many factors to take into consideration your mind will pop!!

but, if i had to chose my next car, ignoring the 197 as iv already got one..... id go for the leon Cupra!

lovely car, it was my second choice after the 197....still have a soft spot for them!

but again, depends on what your 'criteria' is!

I do like the Leon Cupra and with a Revo map

Insignia SRi
Dont get a mini, too retro and quirky!!

The 197 F1 will prob become a bit of a collectors item in the future so you may be able to sell it on for more than the others!!

Plus they look brilliant in yellow!!!

RB 197 fatty
same outcome as me then 197 or cupra!!!!

tough one!

i expect the 'best deal' maybe the decider for you like it was for me!

had lots of cupras lined up, but no crackers, all had bad spots.

...then my 197 cropped up, local dealer, and the exact spec and stlying as i would chose froim new............ at an even more affordable proice!!

SORTEEEDDD!!!

gd luck

same outcome as me then 197 or cupra!!!!

tough one!

i expect the 'best deal' maybe the decider for you like it was for me!

had lots of cupras lined up, but no crackers, all had bad spots.

...then my 197 cropped up, local dealer, and the exact spec and stlying as i would chose froim new............ at an even more affordable proice!!

SORTEEEDDD!!!

gd luck

The 197 is better "value" but the Leon has lots of kit.......

Insignia SRi
Id personally go for the 197, much more of a headturner regardless of what colour you have it in!!

Not as tunable as the cupra obviously but just depends if thats the route you are looking to go down??

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Off that list the R26. Well equipped, and as a standard car will be quicker than all the other on road and track.

clio sport cup
s2000 - a really good reliable car.

If i had the money to buy a car again in that price range now, i would get another s2000, its a epic car for the cash.

And then I would spent 4K on supercharging it to 350-600 bhp (600 would need the turbo though).

I would love to get another black s2000, with the bronze Volks Te37, lower it a bit and charge it up. they just look the nuts

Last edited:
  Insignia SRi
By the sounds of it hes after a hot hatch not a coupe but i know what you mean, my uncles got an s2000 and they are great fun!!!!:approve:

Italian 3.2 V6
R26 in either LY/GW

Easly made faster than it already is due to turbo,rapid round track! fantastic car all round! Value for money!

Job done, end of!

Out of those, I would choose either the R26 or the CTR. I favour the CTR for the build and interior quality but, having just got a taste for drving on track, I would definitely consider the R26 as the weapon of choice.

Phase 2 172 Cup
Youll get a super Focus RS for 11500 (think thats what you said the F1 197 was)

honestly, they best car you will find for that money

failing that, evo 7 should be buyable for 11k

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
You can get a VII for less than that.

R26 would still be my choice though. Best all-rounder, and easier on the wallet, long term.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
haha, I would guess you have never driven one then, least on a track.
I have actually, at Bedford with Autocar a few yrs back. Blah. Engine and gearbox are great for track work, but the steering horrid, the chassis balance is odd (grip, then backwards with no feedback or warning). Meant to be very good with chassis upgrades, but as a standard car, I'd much rather an MX5.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
f**king Ligers man. We're all fucked. Thats like breeding Chuck Norris and Mark Read.
800px-Liger_couple.jpg

clio sport cup
I have actually, at Bedford with Autocar a few yrs back. Blah. Engine and gearbox are great for track work, but the steering horrid, the chassis balance is odd (grip, then backwards with no feedback or warning). Meant to be very good with chassis upgrades, but as a standard car, I'd much rather an MX5.

odd, but fair enough, I think you need to live with the car for a while, but the geo on those NEEDs to be setup correctly, you get feedback then.

I have also drive a mx5, and the s2000 put some much more expensive metal to shame, not on the straights, but in the bends..

Anyways.. off topic.... :)