ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What primer?

Black 182 FF
Painted a couple of wheels a few weeks ago using my compressor and spray gun and I'm pretty pleased with the results. When doing so I used some left over primer I had off ages ago for a couple of small areas which needed filling (was given to me) and I had no idea what type it was, but it seemed to do the trick.

I'm currently in the process of stripping back one wheel using Nitromors and I think this wheel has been painted about three times. First one was a decent job, but then the wheel got clipped and needed painting again and was replaced and since used as a spare. Then some cowboys painted it god knows what colour and then I painted it the Rover anthracite people recommend on here and it wasn't close to the standard anthracite.

Anyway as soon as I hit it with paint or primer it reacted, so I'm almost there in taking it back to being bare and I was wondering what sort of high build primer would be ok to use. I'd rather use a can as I've only got one spray gun and I know this isn't 2k, but does it matter for primer? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181128776716

If you take the alloy bare metal, personally id use a high build epoxy primer......they do it in a spray can, direct to bare metal, even alloy , sticks like crap to a sheeps back side and has anti rust built in. If you dont use epoxy, you will need a metal etch primer then standard 1K primer. 2bh without 2K primers or 2 part products it will probably not last........and will oxidise from the back within months.

IXELL 205-110 is the only colour that will match your wheels if they are orig renault anthracite, if not try 205-272 which is darker.

Black 182 FF
So the high build epoxy then something on top of that? I'll get some 2k primer if need be, I was just trying to save on the hassle of cleaning the gun inbetween as I only have one.

Yeah I got some 205-110 in the end to do all the wheels, it's probably matched rather than being Ixell (Autopaint St Helens or something I got it from) but it's close enough for what I need. I just bought the Rover stuff as reading on here it was apparently a close match in a tin for the spare wheel, I found out it actually wasn't.

Black 182 FF
* I'm probably going to do the front bumper soon too, so I could probably do with buying more primer anyway.