ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What mileage is your car on and has it developed any problems?

Black Gold with cup packs
I am in the process of buying a mint, mint, mint 172cup on a 2004/53 but with pretty high mileage 1 previous owner (76k, 62 of which were aledgedly motorway miles) The car is probably one of the finests looking examples I have seen in terms of the bodywork and is making 188bhp with RR read out with the following modifications:K-Tec unsilenced decat
K-Tec 182 Look system
RSTuner Performance and 97RON Fuel Remaps
Powder coated inlet manifold
Renaultsport Engine Cover - Painted Mondial Blue
Induction kit and Samco piping elbow

What do you guys think about buying a higher mileage 172cup (which is honestly in superb condition) and how are your higher miler 172cups holding out?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
24k, 4 years old.
New wipers needed
Washer jet is leaking.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
103,000 miles 52 plate.

Replaced on the top of my head...
Alternator
Both driveshafts
New battery
Exhaust as the backbox fell off
both washer pumps
Headlight washers

In my experience it did start to cost a lot of money when it reached the 70k mark.

200 Gordini
22k... needed new brakes, a 2 front tyres soon. Both wear and tear items.

Blowing backbox is the only 'problem' but thats how the CS's roll

Lots of Alfas
I dont think its fair to include wear and tear items (such as battery, brakes, wipers, exhausts, tyres, bulbs).

Clio 182
1. Middle exhaust box
2. Both read exhaust hangers
3. Clutch
4. Rear disks and pads
5. Front shocks
6. Headlight washers
7. Usual belts (auxiliary and timing)

What do you guys think about buying a higher mileage 172cup (which is honestly in superb condition) and how are your higher miler 172cups holding out?

there are a few things that, despite the outward appearance of any car, will probably need doing regularly in my experience (so far). unless the owner's recently renewed the engine mounts and the top mounts, it'll benefit from those. think i'm looking at renewing my top mounts again, after about 20k road miles.

CSX

172 CUP!

1 Injector
alternator bolt decided to shear, wielded back ftw!
Power Steering switch replaced ( so the garage said, been fine since, was leaking bad! )
Backbox fell off! then the exhaust was rotting/knackered so replaced with ktec stealth
Then the usual wear and tear stuff!

Golf GT TDI
mine is 1 previous owner 53 reg full renault main dealer s/h i got it in sept 2008 on 63k its now on 70k and runs and drives spot on it depends how well its been looked after. my friend has a 1 owner 52 plate on 119,000 miles and in the year he has owned it its only needed rear shocks that cost him £52 for both from renault

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I never actually said what mine is ...

Phase 1 172 with 56k on the clock. 1 female previous owner with 8 servuce stamps and cambelt changed @ 44k.

One coil pack failure and two window regulators, the exhaust gave out but these are garbage across the range.

Nothing else, not bad for an 8 year old car

Dodgy one
43k 182 on 04

New exhaust
New driveshaft
Split CV causing new disks and pads to be bought
Split PAS pipe
Aux pulley whining so i changed it all
At the mo EML suspected pre cat Lambda
Exhaust mounts
Pair of rear shocks
Set of springs
Odd screw in the tyre too

Other than that its been not bad, The worts car ive had though for draining my pocket

arctic 182 ff
64,000 03 plate
1 previous owner
bought nov 07 with 49,000

apart from routine maintinence servicing,and modding (personal pref) not a thing has went wrong (touches wood)

Clio 172 RS2
Phase 2 172 with 91k on the odo. into 3rd ownership... previous 2nd owner took well care of it.

6-years old; still tight, quiet and rattlefree.

Service history (and MOT) says; Belts been replaced and other regular wear and tear items, nothing special to speak off.

Looking into replacing the top enginemount soon. (common Renault fault)
They take some beating with the 2.0 RS unit.

Only exhaust needs looking at according to a befriended Renault garage mechanic.
Other than that a pretty sturdy car!

I'd say testdrive it, feel the gearbox if not used properly will give way, ask for a start-up with a cold engine to hear any rattles, noises.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I bought my cup in Feb 08 on 52k, sold it 11 months later with 77k on it. Nothing went wrong at all in 25k miles. Serviced as per the book (myself) and had the cambelt done at 63k. Enjoyed 11 laps of the ring as well.

Also did 19k in my first 182 in 4 months. Did an oil change after 12k, but other than that no maintenance/issues whatsoever.

A car is as reliable as the maintenance regime imho. I use my cars for work, so a broken car = loss of money. Subsequently, i look after them pretty well.

Strangely enough, the guy who bought my cup said it was in far better condition that a load of cups with less than 30k on it he had also viewed ....

White clique
18k miles on a 197, trade mark squeeky brakes and exhaust needed re-aligning, but other than that no problems!

BMW E46 330i Touring
My Cup has just ticked over to 80k, I'm the 4th owner.

Replaced:

Brakes
Battery
Steering arms and track rod ends
Exhaust
UCH

That's about it I think... engine mount and bushes probably need replacing soon also.

J

Jim NM

53 plate 38650 on clock. fitted new rear shocks due one leaking.
I have done a couple of services on it. Just oil and all filter changes.
No other probs except for some of the door interior trim coming loose, which is to be expected.

Well, it is a Renault.

Clio 182
2005 182 with 64k on it now. Have had it 6 months and done 19k in it. All good with no real probs apart from the Aux Belt and Tensioner.

fad

Clio 182 FF
Bought in Decemer 2007 with 16k on the clock now on 55k miles and all I have had to change are the consumables like tyres...oh and one CV clip thats it!

However next month its going to need

New exhaust
replacement dampers

Cant fault its reliability neither I think it was a Monday car lol!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
At 107,500 miles only few components have failed on my Cup.

Starter motor, 1 wheel bearing, steering rack, gearbox. That's what's 'failed' on mine.

Steering rack and gearbox were my fault though so don't really count :eek:

rps13

almost absolutely everything electrical and mechanical has broken within the last 3 months

Um mixed reviews :)
Here is the full spec
copy paste from email

im the 2nd owner
76k (do not be put off by milage. 1st owner used it on the motorway day to day - young female)
full renault service history
cambelt, aux belt water pump and head rebuilt 5k miles ago. included full service, coolant change, plugs, oil filters
new disks and pads, fluid and goodridge hoses all round 500 miles ago
brand new ktec 182 look SS exhaust and decat at xmas
service last week, new ngk plugs, new oil, oil filter and air filter cleaned
4 75% toyo proxi T1-r tyres
Paint on the car is in first class condition, just detailed
Brand new windscreen in November (had some stone chips so I cracked it and used insurance windscreen for a new one)

Car was rolling roaded 3 weeks ago, got 188.7 bhp with

Total Spec

Engine

K-Tec unsilenced decat
K-Tec 182 Look system
RSTuner Performance and 97RON Fuel Remaps
Powder coated inlet manifold
Renaultsport Engine Cover - Painted Mondial Blue
Induction kit and Samco piping elbow

Suspension/Wheels

Eibach Sportline springs
Anthricite OZ Turini's
Toyo T1-R 195/45/16 tyres
Goodridge Braded Hoses
Yellow Calipers
OEM Brakes

Exterior

K-Tec Racing Carbon Fibre Splitter
BeeSting Ariel
Painted 2.0 16v bullets
Yellow Renault Diamond
Yellow Shocker

ICE

Renault CAT1 Alarm
Pioneer head unit with Ipod lead

Some pictures of the car as well :)

Anus2.jpg

Anus.jpg

Anus5.jpg

chris5.jpg

DSC_1902.jpg

n507835762_1775309_2225.jpg

Clio MK 4
50 000 miles 52 plate
Had new radiator
New Driveshaft
2 new cv boots
new battery

then the usual service things like new brake pads etc

BMW E46 330i Touring
Looks a nice example mate but I'm always put off when a car has had engine rebuild work. I'm sure it's fine but I'd always wonder what was wrong before and how much damage was caused to peripheral parts...

The mileage itself wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I wouldn't go near that car myself.

Who puts a PH-quick sticker on the 172 cup!

The guy has been very honest which didn't put me off it to be honest, as I felt he didn't really HAVE to tell me about the headwork carried out. Has told me the car had head work at 70k as the aux belt slipped and bent a few valves, he has told me the full head has been re-built all with brand new parts (this happened despite the aux belt done at 36k and the cam belt was being due in a couple of months) anyway he has full documentation of the work carried out and that Renault accepted 75% of liability and costs due to not noticing the aux belt wear when the car was serviced a few thousand miles prior to the belt slipping. So summary all work was carried by Renault at a 75% liability on their behalf. I have been debating it myself for the last week, so I thought I would share my thoughts with you guys and see what you think. The guy selling the car has been a cliosport.net member for around 18months. He has all paperwork for the work and the letter from Renault accepting liability, the car comes with FRSH. Providing the work was done to a good standard should that be a problem? And the car being owned by a fellow enthusiast made me not question the work so much.
One more question, I have discussed a price for the car with the seller and have provisionally had an offer accepted, what should I really be paying for an example such as this? Much appreciated guys. :)

Richard

172 Cup, AX trackbeast.
2003 172 Cup, currently on 46k:

Snapped exhaust
New battery
New rear dampers
New front ARB mounts
Currently has no front brakes after the pads fell apart on Sunday.

That's in 2 years ownership. Most is consumables, except for the exhaust. Seeing as I once owned the most unreliable 405 Mi16x4 in the country, possibly even the world, the Cup is the most reliable car ever.

RB 182 cup
my 182cup is on 40k and has had nothing wrong with it at all apart from 2 of the rear window heating strips not working.