ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What is a 'Top Shocker Mount & Bearing??

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
I will be having my Springs replaced (not Shocks) due to a front broken offside one and the Mechanic said buy the Spring(s) and top shocker mount and bearing :S

Any ideas? Will it need it, as I say I'm getting the broken front Spring fixed to pass the MOT.

Clio 172
its the rubber mount at the top of the shock and the bearing goes under it. Its parts 7 and 8 in the diagram below. 7 is the "top Mount" and 8 is the "Bearing" (Note that is a picture of an Audi A2 shock, not a clio!)

a2-287.png

They cause a knocking sound when they are badly worn out.
Jack

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
its the rubber mount at the top of the shock and the bearing goes under it. Its parts 7 and 8 in the diagram below. 7 is the "top Mount" and 8 is the "Bearing" (Note that is a picture of an Audi A2 shock, not a clio!)

View attachment 110041

They cause a knocking sound when they are badly worn out.
Jack

Cheers for that Jack.

Will it definitely be needed if like I am just replaced the Springs? I just thought you'd just swap the springs, no?

Clio 172
Cheers for that Jack.

Will it definitely be needed if like I am just replaced the Springs? I just thought you'd just swap the springs, no?

Its depends on the condition. Its hard to say without seeing them...Normally I would say, while the shock absorber is off, get them done, but on the Clio I think they are around £50 a mount and £4 a bearing from Renault, and if they are just doing the one side its not really worth it. Ideally you would do both at the same time (having one worn out and one new will effect the handling and geometry.) If they do replace it, ask to keep the old one so you can see it. And don't let them charge you any extra labor costs to replace just the one top mount and coil spring on the same side. You have to take the top mount off to replace the coil so technically it takes no extra time!

Jack

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Its depends on the condition. Its hard to say without seeing them...Normally I would say, while the shock absorber is off, get them done, but on the Clio I think they are around £50 a mount and £4 a bearing from Renault, and if they are just doing the one side its not really worth it. Ideally you would do both at the same time (having one worn out and one new will effect the handling and geometry.) If they do replace it, ask to keep the old one so you can see it. And don't let them charge you any extra labor costs to replace just the one top mount and coil spring on the same side. You have to take the top mount off to replace the coil so technically it takes no extra time!

Jack

Cheers Jack appreciate it mate.

Stealers the place for them? Is it the sort of thing they have in off the shelf?

Would they know what I'm after if I said two Clio 182 top shocker mounts and bearings or is there part numbers knocking about for them?

I want to make sure I get the correct parts thats all.

Clio 172
Cheers Jack appreciate it mate.

Stealers the place for them? Is it the sort of thing they have in off the shelf?

Would they know what I'm after if I said two Clio 182 top shocker mounts and bearings or is there part numbers knocking about for them?

I want to make sure I get the correct parts thats all.

Depends on how picky you are and if the car is your pride and joy or not. You could go the stealers (and yes, They would know what you are asking for if you said that!) but they will have your pants down for the price. Their mark up is often stupid, even with discount from Renault. I can get one for £40.20 plus delivery charges as im a member on here and Renault Wolverhampton do discount for paid members. eBay have genuine ones for around £35 plus delivery each as well.

But even that is expensive considering that you can get 2 for £24 delivered from a motorfactors on ebay! They wont be genuine Renault though and you need to work out if you are willing to sacrifice genuine parts for Non Gen parts... Personally, Iv not had a bad experience with non gen parts and have no issues using them on my 172 if it saves me some money and is also fixing my car at the same time! I plan on buying some cheaper ones off eBay and fitting new bump stops and shocks in a few months time to refresh the suspension. I will buy genuine Renault shocks but everything else will be non gen as iv not had issues in the past. (Touching wood!)

Jack

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped

Cheers ordered two.
Depends on how picky you are and if the car is your pride and joy or not. You could go the stealers (and yes, They would know what you are asking for if you said that!) but they will have your pants down for the price. Their mark up is often stupid, even with discount from Renault. I can get one for £40.20 plus delivery charges as im a member on here and Renault Wolverhampton do discount for paid members. eBay have genuine ones for around £35 plus delivery each as well.

But even that is expensive considering that you can get 2 for £24 delivered from a motorfactors on ebay! They wont be genuine Renault though and you need to work out if you are willing to sacrifice genuine parts for Non Gen parts... Personally, Iv not had a bad experience with non gen parts and have no issues using them on my 172 if it saves me some money and is also fixing my car at the same time! I plan on buying some cheaper ones off eBay and fitting new bump stops and shocks in a few months time to refresh the suspension. I will buy genuine Renault shocks but everything else will be non gen as iv not had issues in the past. (Touching wood!)

Jack

I am picky hence ordering them above!

Cheers all.

182 ff
remember the new top mounts are a new design if your only buying one.. (R54 3A 097 80R) spacer(bearing) R82 00 867 250.. call Renault to confirm this
my front spring broke, didn't want to say £100 for a new one, so bought ebach sportlines(£160),and 4 new damper and top mounts and spacers
if you just buying one top mount, you can have my old design one..(that will match your other one), ..unfortunately i don't have the springs ,they was knackered .

Clio 172 Monaco blue
Sorry to jump on this guys, but does one kit fit all when changing springs etc, or do say koni, spas all have there own top mounts?

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped

remember the new top mounts are a new design if your only buying one.. (R54 3A 097 80R) spacer(bearing) R82 00 867 250.. call Renault to confirm this
my front spring broke, didn't want to say £100 for a new one, so bought ebach sportlines(£160),and 4 new damper and top mounts and spacers
if you just buying one top mount, you can have my old design one..(that will match your other one), ..unfortunately i don't have the springs ,they was knackered .

Oh don't say that, confusing me now! I just 2 bought from the above link for my fronts - will be changing both front Springs now.

Praying they will be ok :dapprove:

I am picking a set of Eibach Sportline's up tomorrow from DemonTweeks.

Fit all I believe!

Top man, worried there for a min I'd ordered the wrong ones after reading what klm182 put.

Last edited:
  Clio 172
Oh don't say that, confusing me now! I just 2 bought from the above link for my fronts - will be changing both front Springs now.

they will be fine pal. :)

182 ff

Top man, worried there for a min I'd ordered the wrong ones after reading what klm182 put.

it your buying 2 its ok,, . when i phoned up Renault to order one,they stated they was a new design so i needed to replace both. ..