ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

what is a dephaser?

Schma Schme 1.6l
what is a dephaser pulley? and will i need to change it when i do my timing belt?

i've read the 'how to guide' regarding the timing belt changing and i must say i thought it was a lot easier than the guide makes it out to be.

i've done belts on evo's and rally cars in the past and havn't found them to be of much difficulty. are the clio 172's really that hard?

cheers, tim.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Best to change them if you buy the cambelt kit that includes new pulleys. You need the Renault locking tools to change the belt properly.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Best to change them if you buy the cambelt kit that includes new pulleys. You need the Renault locking tools to change the belt properly.

Cambelt kit does not include the dephaser pully.

M

mini-valver

Its on the inlet cam, buy from renault mate.

As regards to tools, all you'll need is the rear cam locking tool (Make one out of some steel strip) and a crank pin. Lock the crank and cam pulleys, remove crank pulley, mark cam pulleys, remove idlers/pulleys. Fit belt and tensioners, bring the tensioner round (the crank pulley is floating so let it move round as you tension the belt). Fit the crank pulley and remove the locking tools. Spin it over a few times by hand and make sure all your tools slot back into place at TDC. Sorted.

For some reason people make them out to be quantum physics to change. Space is tight but its a peice of piss!

Schma Schme 1.6l
Its on the inlet cam, buy from renault mate.

As regards to tools, all you'll need is the rear cam locking tool (Make one out of some steel strip) and a crank pin. Lock the crank and cam pulleys, remove crank pulley, mark cam pulleys, remove idlers/pulleys. Fit belt and tensioners, bring the tensioner round (the crank pulley is floating so let it move round as you tension the belt). Fit the crank pulley and remove the locking tools. Spin it over a few times by hand and make sure all your tools slot back into place at TDC. Sorted.

For some reason people make them out to be quantum physics to change. Space is tight but its a peice of piss!

ahh, my kind of style! crack on stylee!!