ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What has happened to my speakers?! :-(

Took the dashboard off today plugged it all in and it worked! Then it randomly went all crackly again (without refitting dashboard) got a multi meters on it, constant 12V across the whole loom. With the engine and and at a range of volumes. Any ideas guys? My mate reckons it's a bad earth?

Ground the case of the stereo to some bare metal or battery then try it. See if it still happens

1.6 DS3
Good call, easy to prove an earth fault. Should earth through plug and aerial

Hi Ian, yes we tested lots of things as you said any I personally put it down to either the bad earthing point as the same sort of thing happened with the subwoofer when we installed that into his Clio.

But another theory I now have is the stock wiring can't handle the extra power the new aftermarket head unit is pushing to the aftermarket speakers due to the resistance in the wiring. The reason i say this is down to the fact it works at low volumes when it's pushing less power, then as the volume is increased and more power is pushed, the cables can't handle the power so the speaker doesn't receive all of the power. Also it is fine on Vol 10, but 11 it starts clipping / distorting, but only on the more bass'y notes as I believe they require more power than the small tweeters built into them do? But all through the volume range the subwoofer sounds fine as it's on its own RCA cables. so I don't think it is power, but could be bad earth or resistance.

Using your experience what are your thoughts on this? I too am a EDS engineer for jaguar land rover :p

Polo + Micra
i had an alpine head unit in my clio (a 4x60wMPO with external dc-dc converter) and that wouldn't clip until 23 on the volume using a 0dB test tone

i still believe the issue is with power. are all the cables tight in the connecter on the back of the head unit? is it a genuine alpine lead? (i've bought a cheap one before and it was awful)

1.6 DS3
i had an alpine head unit in my clio (a 4x60wMPO with external dc-dc converter) and that wouldn't clip until 23 on the volume using a 0dB test tone

i still believe the issue is with power. are all the cables tight in the connecter on the back of the head unit? is it a genuine alpine lead? (i've bought a cheap one before and it was awful)

yes all of the ball type push connectors are tightly connected and it's measuring the right voltages at the head unit end, even with the volume set high we where achieving 11.8 v on battery and 13.6 with the engine running at 2000 rpm. I don't think it's a lack of power getting to the head unit more of a grounding thing. Or possibly the resistance which il test tomorrow.
Amd yeah I believe it's a genuine alpine lead that was supplied with the alpine head unit

Polo + Micra
best thing to do is set your multimeter for Amps (most will do 10-20) and take the head unit out and turn it up until it starts to clip/distort then stick one probe on the case of the head unit and the othe on a decent ground (something like the door hinge iirc)

you should get very little current measured if ok but if it sorts the problem and shows a decent amount of current (>0.5A) then the earth is the fault

Westfield, 182, 200
From what i understand from what i've read;

The head uniit worked fine until the ipod was unplugged and the volume was too high

The head unit works with a home hifi speaker (although diff impedance)

Speakers work fine in car with home hifi connected directly, not through the car wiring, or perhaps through the car wiring (which could rule out wiring not being heavy duty enough)

Head unit works up to volume setting 10 the speakers crackle or distort (listened to my stock renault head unit ay 19 on the way to work so not sure how this compares to the alpine head unit)

So, have you

Westfield, 182, 200
Bloody tablet!

Wou
d have thought if the cable size is too small, they'd have started to get warm, i understand a small cable could cause voltage drop, but surely not at moderate volume levels?

Is the head unit in mute mode
So have you still got the standard head unit we can try?

Did you test the speakers through the car wiring?

Have you tried running a separate earth?

Will hopefully get a look at the car this weekend to have a play!

Bloody tablet!

Wou
d have thought if the cable size is too small, they'd have started to get warm, i understand a small cable could cause voltage drop, but surely not at moderate volume levels?

Is the head unit in mute mode
So have you still got the standard head unit we can try?

Did you test the speakers through the car wiring?

Have you tried running a separate earth?

Will hopefully get a look at the car this weekend to have a play!

Hi mate. Not got the standard head unit unfortunately!

I had this stereo in the car for a week with no issues and then last night I had it working for 10 minutes and then randomly it started crackling out of nowhere :(

Everyone this is strange! I got in the car this morning it all worked! But dash back together and it still works took for a drive and played music loud for 30 + mins! Still working, all I did was trace cables and push them all together so perhaps a loose connection?

Seems to be okay now :)
Thanks for advice