ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

what grades of sandpaper?

clio 172 cup
looking to do respray bottom part of my door and bump strip just wondering what grades of paper i need to be using and also if i do the colour sand before or after the clear coat has been applied

many thanks

clio 172 cup
ive done wheels a couple a times and a spolier, its litterally a 20p sized chip back to metal and a slight scuff where someone's trolly at asda blew into it yesterday

Liquid Yellow 1.5DCi
800 or 1000 wet and dry to flat imperfection and feather paint edge, then I would 1500 that after to remove scratches that the courser grade would leave. Obviously use water with the wet and dry, and you could put some washing up liquid in with it to minimise scratching. And as above, clear coat straight over base coat, when base coat has dried.

don't use 1500 before paint, it can be too fine and can affect adhesion and may end up with the paint lifting in the future, 1000 is the finest you should go before basecoat

Liquid Yellow 1.5DCi
Best off asking whoever sells you the paint beforehand. It varies. 1500, coming from experience, is fine.

Last edited:
1500 is too fine, 1000 will not leave scratches/marks

and when clearcoating do not leave the last coat of colour to completely dry, you want to leave it for 15-20 mins and then do first coat of clear coat, if you let the last colour coat dry completely then you can have adhesion problems with the clearcoat and down the line it can lift/peel from the colour coats

Last edited by a moderator:
Tidied this thread up. If any user wishes to chat/argue/flirt with another user, please do so via PM.