ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What Engine For My Mk2 Clio

02 mk2 Clio 1.2 16v
Hello , Ive Got A 2002 Mk2 Ph2 1.2 16v Clio , Im 19 And Due To Insurance Being So High For Anything Other Than 1.2 Its Atleast 3k To Insure Anything Quicker, i want to convert the engine to something bigger but i know the easiest one would be a 2.0 sport but was thinking something like a 1.6/1.8 , 2 litres drink too much petrol with the foot down but has there been any engine conversions done successfully apart from the 2.0 sport , A Know The Work Involved Is Going to be mager but am happy to go through with it , i do work as a partsman so i know i will have to put availabilty of Parts/Price Of Parts into consideration also , So Any Suggestions Or Advice Would Be Great So I Can Get A Better Idea Of What Would Be Best To get A Hold Of And How Hard To make It Fit, I Would Prefer An Engine Under A 2litre But A Was Thinking if 2litre A Megane 2.0 (16v/225/sport , Renault Knowledge Isnt Great )With A 1.6 Gearbox Using The 2.0 Hubs And Completely rebuild The Front Suspension & Steering Then Match The Rear But A Dont Know.

whats Your Ideas

Cheers

Ross

Clio172 / Focus Ti X
Why does every word have a capital?

lol im just imagining someone reading it out loud talking like the dude from transformers getting zapped in the bo**ocks by the stun gun thing and flapping around like a seal on the floor.

To the op, do you really want to take the risk of putting a bigger engine in your car and keep it insured as a 1.2 and get stopped by Vosa/police etc? what if your really unfortunate and have an accident (even someone running into you and not being your fault)

also, and not personal. If i were driving along quite happy and some boy racer smashes into my pride and joy with their "converted and not declared 2.0 insured as a 1.2". I'd be mega annoyed when their insurance wont pay out because their policy is void.

I'ts all well putting in a bigger engine but do it legit for the sake of other road users, if you want to go fast, use the money and buy a track car with some mates, you will have a much better time. Then when you can get cheaper insurance by another car.

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
What Does Mager Mean? Enjoy your 1.2, build up some no claims then when you have the funds, buy something bigger and faster.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I'd just save. Few basic mods then buy a cheap Ph1.

I was 19 when I got my 172, I think I paid around £2k for the first year of insurance in my area.

It'd be cheaper in the long run.

Evo 5 RS
Premiums are a joke at the moment, though as above the money you'll spend on the conversion getting it spot on, you might as well have saved up and bought an insured a Ph1.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Don't be an idiot and put a larger engine in your car as I'm assuming you think you'll leave it un-declared. If you're actually considering telling the insurance company, why would it be any cheaper than a non-converted car with a larger engine ?

Are you just looking at Clios ? They are hilariously expensive to insure.

Try looking at older diesels.

306HDI or maybe a Clio dCi for instance.

Much faster than a 1.2 petrol, better on fuel and normally insurance friendly. You might find you can sell your 1.2 and buy a 306 and have some cash left over for insurance.

Renault Clio RS182
Build up no claims & experience like everybody else has to do, i promise it'll be far cheaper and less problematic in the long run. You'll be a better driver for it too; Vettel didn't become double world champion after a week in a go-kart did he?!?! :) Learn how to get the most out of a smaller car, but if you want something quicker, maybe get a dci (85??) and get it remapped, wouldn't have thought that would be much more to insure than the 1.2

02 mk2 Clio 1.2 16v
Yeah a think your right , the reason for this idea is because like Silent_scone said insurance is far too expensive at the moment , proberly because a wrote off my 206 just after ma 18 birthday but i cant see me getting the money For another car anytime soon , so i think al just do the clutch and t/belt on this and save up and get something later like you are all saying
Sayin That I might Focus On Restoring The Mk3 Ford Capri In my Garage

And The Capitals Thing Is A Bad Habbit I Struggle To Get Out Of Lol.

thanks for the advice

Last edited: