ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What do we rival!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Astra SRI/ Hornet
Cooper s,
Type r,
Golf gti,
Corsa vxr (and astra vxr's upto a point),

I would say there all the clios main rivals that people would buy instead of a Clio rs.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
One way to see it is looking at the car park at work then.

I am based at our head office, so you have everything from cleaners on minimum, to office staff, to engineers, to scientists, to directors and eventually bankers. A diverse range of professionals and pays i think you'll agree. My clio is probably in the top 2% of cars there. Except the odd porsche, 911 and m5 most are mundane passats/insignia's/astra's pushing out up to 170bhp but weighing a lot and not particularly nimble in the corners.

But yeh, tbf i usually agree with what you post :eek:

Black Ph2 172
RE vs. MINI Cooper S' one of my friend's has a SC one and the other a Turbod one - they both 'feel' faster but in reality are not - both pull better lower down the revs, but once spinning my standard Clio is quicker than both.

Other cars I have been similar to:

E36 328
Focus ST (new 225 bhp one)
Type R
SLK 320
Golf GTI (Mk5)

Italian 3.2 V6
Anything under 177bhp per ton will lose or be on parr to a ClioRS.

Anything over 177bhp per ton will leave a Clio RS.

FACT. END.

PSJ.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Italian 3.2 V6
HTML:
^ lol.. Std v Std and driven properly anything over 177bhp will still leave a ClioRS in the twisties.

PSJ.

Titanium 182
For the money the Clio RS' are great. Imo.

I'm a student at uni, but that doesn't mean I want a run of the mill small engined car - I'm an enthusiast, but one who, unfortunately, has to budget. The Clio ticks all the boxes. You can pick up a straight ph1 172 from as little as £1500 and stretch that budget to high £6/7k for a Trophy so it caters for quite a wide market.

It's in no way a supercar, or something anyone would 'aspire' to own; but it is a great little car to drive, it puts a smile on your face especially when you're in the moment chasing more expensive cars, much to their suprise.

Insurance is reasonable, it'll return good mileage if driven correctly and will allow you to drive it like a complete tool and thank you for it. Then ask for more.

172, BMW 120 Msport.
My 106 gti has a faster 1/4 mile and 0-60. (both recorded at york) than any 1*2 i have seen on this site with the same mods. So to me they arnt as quick.

(awaits arguments) lol

Id say,

CTR EP3
Audi TT 1.8 T
Starlet turbo
Fiesta ST

Italian 3.2 V6
^ lol why? Cars that have that power are actually capable of using it uno.. Clio RS's arnt be all end all.

Tbh there just good value for money. Bang for buck.

Quick n nibble but not invincible.

It's Fact

PSJ.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
No, it's not fact. Your telling me that EVERY car with more bhp/tonne is qoing to be quicker?
Not been funny and also not saying the clio is the be all and end all but there are far more factors involved than just bhp/tonne. Gearing, drivetrain loss......
So sorry it aint FACT!!

White clique
^ lol why? Cars that have that power are actually capable of using it uno.. Clio RS's arnt be all end all.

Tbh there just good value for money. Bang for buck.

Quick n nibble but not invincible.

It's Fact

PSJ.

Agreed.

I do admire the optimism in this thread!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Agreed.

I do admire the optimism in this thread!

Its wrong though, i'm not saying it beats m3's and the like, its just a cheap clio ateotd. But why would manufacturers spend a fortune on chassis design if they all handle equally?

I hate to use the phrase but a clio would be better in the twisties than a 206, both are similar power to weight, clio handles better.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
My 106 gti has a faster 1/4 mile and 0-60. (both recorded at york) than any 1*2 i have seen on this site with the same mods. So to me they arnt as quick.

(awaits arguments) lol

Id say,

CTR EP3
Audi TT 1.8 T
Starlet turbo
Fiesta ST

lol

172, BMW 120 Msport.

Whats the LOL at that? Straight line speed iv hardly seen a difference whenever iv seen them at santa pod etc.

The annoying thing is, on here clio RS are better then anything. Also you go on other forums and there cars are also 'better' then anything.

White clique
Its wrong though, i'm not saying it beats m3's and the like, its just a cheap clio ateotd. But why would manufacturers spend a fortune on chassis design if they all handle equally?

I hate to use the phrase but a clio would be better in the twisties than a 206, both are similar power to weight, clio handles better.

But if you went onto a 206 forum, there would be someone with a 206 with a road driving story about beating a 172 or 182. Same with pretty much any hotter hatch.

People are posting up all sorts of cars which they have beaten and thats great, I drive a Z4 3.0si but there are people in s**te cars that have beaten me.

90%+ is always going to be about the driver, the state of the car, right down to tyres, petrol, clutch condition etc. The remainder will be about the car and what it can rival. But for every one of those cars on that list, someone will be able to take it around the ring or wherever quicker than you or I can.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Figures below are the car, top gear time and their power to weight ratio, proof that you cant judge a cars performance by power alone. The cars were chosen to prove my point and take the argument away from clio fanboyness.

Gtr ----- 1:19.7 270bhp/ton
Fq400 ----- 1:24.8 275bhp/ton

And i never said I am a fast driver, i was talking about the cars put against each other in the same state, same driver. How anyone can say its only power to weight that matters, its so much more than that.

Clio 182ff
RE vs. MINI Cooper S' one of my friend's has a SC one and the other a Turbod one - they both 'feel' faster but in reality are not - both pull better lower down the revs, but once spinning my standard Clio is quicker than both.

Other cars I have been similar to:

E36 328
Focus ST (new 225 bhp one)
Type R
SLK 320
Golf GTI (Mk5)

The Boosh is right overall, but for the sake of chat I agree with this man above. Have raced against a very nice turbo Cooper S at Cadwell and beat it 3 out of 5 laps - cars were pretty equal, but if someone with more skill than me raced my car then it could be an easy 5 out of 5.

However, what is pant wettingly fun if the rate of pull in high gear - was recently in Germany and tipped 138mph on an unrestricted road. I could have got more if it wasn't for my nerves and trucks in the way (and the fact that normal Germans can't drive).

For the money you pay, the Clio RS is a suprise :D

AG 200
Ive had a little play with Fiesta St on a dual carriage way near me and to be honest it was embarrasing how much slower it was. Im pretty sure the 0-62 time is around 8 seconds for the st and 1 second when accelerating to such a speed is very noticeable.
Just carefull you dont try it on with one thats had a tuning companies hands on it as Ive seen a few that are extremely quick.

I also had some guy in a C30 decide to try run me off the road yesterday after he took exception to me pulling along side him, thats why its very rare I have a play in the 200.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Whats the LOL at that? Straight line speed iv hardly seen a difference whenever iv seen them at santa pod etc.

The annoying thing is, on here clio RS are better then anything. Also you go on other forums and there cars are also 'better' then anything.

Errr no. I've had many comings together with ST Fiesta's and they are not on par with any RS i've owned, be it 172/182/197. I do not think they are world beaters by any stretch, but (in mk2 guise) a car thats ligher, and around 20bhp more, its a pretty straight forward result.........

Its also their cars ;)

RS 172 cup
Fiesta sts are slow as fu*k, the amount of
Clowns iv left for dead in them
Overpriced things is unbelievable!! Before i even had some chav try it on in a fista zetec s!!! Laughable!!!

172, BMW 120 Msport.
I dont know the stats for a fiesta ST, but when i go to the pod. I see most of them running mid 15s. I know alot of people on here say there standard 1*2s do high 14s, but after 6 years of going to the pod i have very rarely seen it.

I put what i think is a rival, not asking for people to agree with me am i :)

172, BMW 120 Msport.
Errr no. I've had many comings together with ST Fiesta's and they are not on par with any RS i've owned, be it 172/182/197. I do not think they are world beaters by any stretch, but (in mk2 guise) a car thats ligher, and around 20bhp more, its a pretty straight forward result.........

Its also thier cars ;)

Their Even ;)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Fiesta sts are slow as fu*k, the amount of
Clowns iv left for dead in them
Overpriced things is unbelievable!! Before i even had some chav try it on in a fista zetec s!!! Laughable!!!

Feista ST aint a RS Clio rival, think more 206 GTI

I also have a ZS, a nicer place to be than a Clio ;)

172, BMW 120 Msport.
Didnt take long before this turned into an argument did it lol.

A lot of people will have different opinions, from what they have witnessed themselves.

White clique
This threads gay.

PSJ.

People don't want to let go TBH and accept some cars are better than theirs. Its the same fate all 197 owners had when they came out. The 182/172 lot got all defensive.

May as well have a my willy is bigger than your willy thread.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
People don't want to let go TBH and accept some cars are better than theirs. Its the same fate all 197 owners had when they came out. The 182/172 lot got all defensive.

You and PSJ are wrong. Simples ;)

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member

Thats not the case at all for my self and a few others, it's just some people are talking rubbish....

White clique
You and PSJ are wrong. Simples ;)

I've not noticed anyone say what car is better than a 182/172 in this thread? Clio's seem to be better than most so far?

I've had 172/182/197 and know what they are capable of. Many people on here for example have modded Clios and will then say they are faster than such and such, too many variables.

Yes there are cars that have always been pitched as "rivals" in the motoring press, for example 182 was always along side Civic Type R / Mini Cooper, but again each of those cars could beat a Clio in certain conditions, in the same way a Clio could beat them in others. The Clio has always been a weird one as its either been top of the class against some silly alternatives in group tests such as C2 VTR or something, or its against ridiculous cars which it would never truly "beat", as Evo seemed to do a lot with the Trophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.