ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What counts as a modification to insurance companies?

Clio 182
Hello everyone,

I need new pads and disks pretty much all round on my 182 and following a rediculous quote from Renault, ive decided to get a different set and get someone local I know to fit them.

Question is, will I have to declare different disks and pads to my insurance company as a modification as they are not official Renault products?

I was thinking something like these..
http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=1148&appid=2

Fiesta ST3
from my understanding the only thing that isnt a mod is a new headunit 8-/, i think they consider everything else a mod. I may be wrong though of course

Clio V6
I wouldn't even consider telling my insurance provider about that. They are more interested in engine mods, alloys, bodykits and exhausts mate.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
changing brakes to non gen is just like having differnt tyres to originals, so no.

172 Cup
I rang direct Line when changing the brakes on the Puma, they didn't have an option on their system for changing to bigger calipers & discs etc but did register that I now had grooved disks didn't affect the price though!

Not long after I had my 182 I rang Direct Line (who I was with at the time) and said I wanted to upgrade the brakes. By that I meant fit better pads (Mintex 1144s) and Brembo HC discs. Thats pretty much the same spec as factory, but I got told I couldnt do it.

I was a bit more ignorant at the time, so I didnt realise they wouldnt even know the difference if I did fit those to the car!

Brakes should be fine as long as you're not going to 4 pots or something silly.

Cerrone

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
  RB Clio 182
I can do what I want to my 182 without price change in my insurance as long as long as bhp doesn't exceed 182 at the fly wheel but still have to tell insurance.

172 Cup
but I got told I couldnt do it.

They didn't seem to bothered with mine. Didn't go for 4pots but changed from the standard 240mm to Fiesta ST 280mm...just seems dumb they were only concerned about the disks being grooved.

Also, if your with them, they told me they wouldn't allow any performance mods to under 25's - didn't think I'd tell them that I'd be using the improved brakes to throw the car around more!

182 Cup ITB
Most insurers have no idea about mods. They are clerks who read from a computer screen and don't know the difference between a supercharger and a brake pad. My only mod is a Milltek exhaust that I bought because I didn't want to get pounded in the ass fitting a Renault original. Doesn't add power, virtually no difference in sound and yet it adds £46 a year to my insurance. So much for saving money (and being honest). If I added a turbo (+50bph) on top of that it's another... £90. Very logical, they just make it up as they go along.

For the next renewal I'll be looking at 3rd party only, because now I'd never claim on a car under £6K. Not worth it.