ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What are the exhaust mounts/hangers on a 182 supposed to look like?

Clio 182
hi all - could really do with some help please.

the exhaust on my 182 is an aftermarket put on by the previous owner - a Powerflow S/S jobbie. It's started hanging lower and bouncing around recently so I thought i'd have a look and replace the rubbers...after looking, and searching through other exhaust threads on here i don't think I have all of the mounts in place!? i want to sort it but rather than bodge it (like it looks the previous owner has) i'd like to do a proper job.

I've taken some pics if it helps at all, going from front of the car to the rear this is what there is now...

The 1st I come across is this small triangular type rubber on a stud after the cat, and i think a silencer...

from Nearside (passenger side)

20120222_145922.jpg

from Offside (drivers side)

20120222_150025.jpg

rubber is splitting and so will need to be replaced soon.

2nd is after the exhaust has gone over the torsion beam, where the exhaust pipe splits 1 into 2, and is located slightly offside of centre...

20120218_171535.jpg

looks like there should be two oval rubbers to hook two hangers through? only 1 hanger and rubber present.

3rd is located on the nearside, to hang the nearside silencer from

20120222_145829.jpg

2 more triangular rubbers, need to replace one rubber and put a hanger in place.

4th is in the centre but supports the offside silencer (you can see the 2nd mount again in the background)

20120222_145749.jpg

With the help of a mate, i've removed the offside silencer. all that was holding it up was a bodged split rubber (below), screwed onto one of the four studs you can see in the top left of the image above...

20120222_145036.jpg

and a hanger (which had broken off)

A few questions i've got are...

What is a standard or other aftermarket system supported by and where?
Is there supposed to be a proper mount attached to the four studs above, which supports the offside silencer?
Is this the one which people have repaired with cable ties and silicone etc in other threads?
Where can i get replacement rubbers from?

Sorry, big post, but thanks for reading it! Any help massively appreciated guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Clio 182
tell me about it. it's a mess. it's loud too. changing to a new system might have to wait a month or 2 tho...

Thats awesome, cheers for the link mate - the hanger after the cat i presume is the smaller one pictured, and the other two fix to the studs near the tips?

E90 320d
Yeah thats the one and yeah 3 bolts on each of the hangers. These wont work with your system though as the mounts are all customised on it.

Clio 182
I see what you're saying. Thats a bit of a PITA.

Im figuring what I might do is replace the mounts with the ebay ones, and re-customise (cut and re-weld) the hangers so that they meet the new mounts to fix it all in place in the short term - long term, replace the f**ker!

Thanks for your help hobnob. lovely biscuits btw.

Clio 182
i've now bought the original mounts from the ebay link above, but no matter which way around I put it I can't position the mount holes over more than 2 studs. all of the threads i've read say you need to bolt it to 3 of them to fix in place - how? anyone able to quickly post a pic of their's in place so I can get a better idea? massively feeling like an idiot but would appreciate the help!

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Looks a pretty typical powerflow installation to me. That center hanger is from a metro. They use them on everything.

You're unlikely to make standard mounts fit with that system

Clio 182
Just a quick update to this...

I bought the OEM mount replacement kit from the ebay link above (fantastic service by the way!), along with some new 58mm exhaust clamps from Parkers, some fresh nuts/washers etc.

As I said above I couldn't get the new mount to fit whichever way around I put it; eventually realised (after searching CS) the problem was that I didn't have the plate which fits onto the 4 studs, which the OEM mount bolts on to - someone had obviously removed it in the past. Looking at the last pic in my first post, the nuts welded together are those which fixed it in place originally, and whoever fitted that bodged metro rubber decided the plate was no longer necessary. morons. New plates from Renault Loughborough (£25.00ea).

Nearside silencer - the metro rubber was splitting, so needed replacing. Not as easy as it looked - needed to remove the plate, replace the rubber, hook over the hanger, twist back into place so that the plate slotted over the 4 studs and bolt back in place. Fiddly, but sorted. Plenty of copperslip used so that next time will be easier.

20120229_135527.jpg

Offside silencer - the original hanger had broken off at some point, gauging a hole in the outer skin of the silencer. My mate kindly TIG'd a steel plate in it's place and spot welded a threaded bar on so that we could mock up a replacement hanger. Using the new plate and OEM mount we mocked this up in place. The MIG then broke so had to leave it until the morning when I asked the lads in the workshop to bend and weld a new hanger for me (massive thanks to them!). With it all welded in place, it was simply a case of bolting it all back together, again with plenty of copperslip.

Hole in silencer

20120218_171648-1.jpg

Mock up

20120228_231439.jpg

New Hanger in place

20120229_151736.jpg

New plate and OEM mount

20120229_152350.jpg

Bolted back together

20120229_165640.jpg

Exhaust is back fixed in place, and having driven from 700 miles in her over the weekend, OEM mount seems all fine and dandy :D

20120229_165705.jpg

Still need to replace the centre exhaust mount, but as the current bodge is welded shut I need to wait until the MIG is fixed before attempting to replace it with the OEM item. Long term (as said above) plans to replace the Powerflow system with a less noisy alternative, and then I can put an OEM mount on the nearside too.

Cheers for the help all! Oh, and she's been cleaned now too!

Clio 182
cheers mate - i read about all that just after I had fitted them! doh!
re: the 'socket fix'. I'm not a fan personally; cable ties shouldn't really be used for a loaded (particularly cyclic loading) application. they are only temporary, when the cable ties fail there's nothing to hold the sockets in place. Exhaust bounces up and down as normal, socket becomes loose and falls out. That happens at NSL speeds etc it becomes a projectile; one awkward bounce on the road and that's through someone's windscreen/helmet visor/hits a pedestrian. Admittedly this is unlikely to happen, and unlikely to be that severe, BUT for the sake of getting a replacement mount for £10 off ebay? (which is about the cost of the sockets & cable ties from halfords) it's not a risk worth taking imo.
I'm considering the aftermarket mounts instead.

Inferno 182 & Saxo
cheers mate - i read about all that just after I had fitted them! doh!
re: the 'socket fix'. I'm not a fan personally; cable ties shouldn't really be used for a loaded (particularly cyclic loading) application. they are only temporary, when the cable ties fail there's nothing to hold the sockets in place. Exhaust bounces up and down as normal, socket becomes loose and falls out. That happens at NSL speeds etc it becomes a projectile; one awkward bounce on the road and that's through someone's windscreen/helmet visor/hits a pedestrian. Admittedly this is unlikely to happen, and unlikely to be that severe, BUT for the sake of getting a replacement mount for £10 off ebay? (which is about the cost of the sockets & cable ties from halfords) it's not a risk worth taking imo.
I'm considering the aftermarket mounts instead.

Fill them with tiger seal or use some poly/silicone mountings cut and drilled into the right shape