ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

what a difference 10' makes...

Trophy, Audi TT,
I had a couple of tyres fitted to the Trophy last week... The guy at the tyre place offered me a free tracking check so I said go ahead.

He put the lazer alignment gauges on and told me it was out as it was 0.5mm toe in. He offered to adjust it for £17.50 but I declined as I have a set of track gauges myself.

Using a pair of calibrated optical tracking gauges I measured the front track and found it to be parallel, I.E. 0 degrees. Just to be sure I checked with the wheels in 4 different positions to rule out any rim discrepancies.

I note the factory reccomended setting is 5' - 15' toe out so I set it to the middle at 10'

I have been out in it today and what a difference! the car is far less sensitive to tram lining and a lot less "figity" when you give it the beans!

Just goes to show that the equipment used in some garages is not as accurate as they would have you believe... the way he manhandled and banged around the tracking equipment... I can see why its out! I wonder how often their kit gets calibrated!

Megane RS 250
I'd say never...

are you sure you didn't mean TOE IN? If I remember correctly, both front and rear tyres with oem value are / \ with the car goint "up", if you get what I'm saying.

Trophy, Audi TT,
Auto data tells me that the setting is Toe out \ / with the car going up! unless anyone knows different? certainly feels much better to drive.

Anyone like to comment on what the front track should be?

Megane RS 250
Usually if you set the front tyres toe out the car tends to follow every variation of the road, you can get down the power better out of the corners but it's less stable at speed too.
Toe in the car is more stable at high speed.

At the rear toe out means the car will oversteer and be more agile, but it'll be more unstable, especially in the wet. Toe in and the car wil be more "safe" but it'll understeer.

Usually the oem value for FWD cars are toe in both front and rear. Maybe the trophy has different oem values than other RS?

172DD Cup
i've got a hunter alignment on mine booked in for this saturday. settings for the cup should be 0 degrees +/- a 10' (or 0mm +/- 1.2mm). is it worth asking for that extra 10' on the toe in, or leave the hunter to work its magic?

Megane RS 250
Wait, what's that +/-1.2 mm? Is that tolerance?
Because from -1.2 to +1.2 there's A LOT of difference in the handling of the car!

Next time I'm going to have the front at 0 (instead of -2 mm as it is, it's just too camber sensitive on straight country roads...turn in is very good though!), rear already is...do you have camber bolts?

172DD Cup
true, but it will only ever be 1.2mm from zero toe, be it in or out

not my figures mind, taken from renaults own technical document for the cup

Megane RS 250
Well, 1.2 is not small either, especially if you ave different values between right and left sides or between front and rear.

I think the perfect setup is somewhere between 0 and -1 mm at the front, with as much camber as you can (1,5°~2,5°), and 0 or +1 mm at the rear (not sure about camber, but standard should be ok). On my car this was done with shims at the rear and camber bolt at the front.

172DD Cup
different values either side would only affect the angle of the steering wheel, it would still track straight if both sides added up to, for example, +/-1.2mm

standard figures for 172 cup are:
rear toe is -0*32' +/- 10'
front camber -0*32' +/- 30'
rear camber -1*30 +/- 20'

172DD Cup
my knowledge on camber only extends to what i see the touring cars running on the tv :cool: but i can see that more negative camber gives you more grip round corners :)

Megane RS 250
That's true but the amount of camber is very dependable from the kind of tyre you use, slick tyres can get 4-5°, road tyres 2-3°.
And if you do a lot of motorway is better stay with the oem values, to avoid irregular wear.

On the rear is even harder to understand what's the best.