ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

what’s behind the fogs

having removed my mud guards and the fogs, I discovered that on the nearside, the twin horns are right behind the fog light. More interestingly theres an interesting looking tall black box rectangular/cubic shape about 30cm tall and 10x10cm base with a flexible wire/hose going from its top into the bottom of the engine bay. Needless to say the horns and that box are on my way for some ducting to the brakes etc.

Anybody knows what that black box is?????? and has anybody relocated it and the horns to make some room down there?

yeah I noticed that too....must be some kind of air intake or outake:confused:

Ahh f**k knows, I just like to make a mess

If it is the charcaol filter, which you need to firstly confirm!

The charcaol filter is plumbed to ur petrol tank(to extract vapour) and also connected to your throttle intake (to expel vapour)

Collects vapour as your car rests, fires it back into the engine when your movin!

Just controls vapour emissions( so u dont smell petrol when u open the cap)

ahhhaa, right that explains the second hose into the inlet manifold. okekoke.

Now back to relocating the horns and the filter.

The cup racers use vents and ducting straight through the fogs to the brakes, so I assume they have removed the horns as these would be of little use on circuit (lol ...), what about the filter jobby then, they must have removed or relocated this somewhere else??

So what happens if you smell petrol in your car, does this mean the charcoal filter thingymajig is fecked?

I get a very strong smell of petrol in my car when I fill it up to the max:confused:

I previously had the seal around the fuel gauge sender unit changed but that didnt help...I think vapours are still escaping from there....possibly the vapour hose blocked?

Sorry for changing the topic philip.......

p.s. for some reason fuel smell gets stronger when the windows are down:confused:

Honestly dont know!

Check all the usualls, hoses for splits, clips, tanks for damage, filler neck, cap sealing properly.

Get under car and trace where the smell is commin from!

see if you can spot anything!

good luck!

i was gonna say that weird restrictor but since its not anything like what he described i didnt bother, plus i have no idea what it does! lol

Spent ages with the technitian talking about it, even Ren wouldnt give us an answer!

Fek thats what you get in the 172/cup :eek:

WOW just look at the size of the dump valve on the side! piiissssssshhhhhtttttttttttt !!!!!!!!!!! hahahahahahahahaha!

Clio 1.6 16V

The only thing I can think off is that valve is closed when you cold start in really cold conditions so that warmer air is sucked from the second air duct which is drawing air higher up in the engine bay. I ran the car for a few weeks on the K&N before removing it but with the fabric duct removed so you could look down into the valve. I never ever seen it shut! Its default state is open. The vacuum obviously only operates the valve when the solenoid is activated by the ECU. When I took mine apart I also noticed that the in-line vacuum non-return valve was leaking, so i must have been loosing vacuum when running standard!

Yea, we went over that, but it seemed illogical.......if they wanted hot air for cold starts then it would need to be near the exhaust manifold, since at cold, the engine bay is a single temp, there is no variation.

Quote: Originally posted by ak16v on 20 July 2003

So what happens if you smell petrol in your car, does this mean the charcoal filter thingymajig is fecked?

I get a very strong smell of petrol in my car when I fill it up to the max:confused:

I previously had the seal around the fuel gauge sender unit changed but that didnt help...I think vapours are still escaping from there....possibly the vapour hose blocked?

Sorry for changing the topic philip.......

p.s. for some reason fuel smell gets stronger when the windows are down:confused:

You sure its not exhaust fumes? when i took out my seats i got exhaust fumes comming through from under the car. opening the windows created a sucktion and made it smell worse. as soon as i put my new seats in the holes where plugged and i couldnt smell it again.

Probably useless, but I have told you now.

Paul