ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wet sparkplugs

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Don't forget you need to get the engine upto temperature before doing the test :up:

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
unplug the fuel pump from under the rear seats, provided its a not an early phase 1 car with the separate pump and sender
that'll be fine to run the test, all I've ever done and not got any erroneous readings

PH2 172
I have to take out this relay before I can do the compressio test. Othervise the injectors will pump fuel into the cylinder while testing...
A little fuel vapour, nor engine temperature is of any concern.
Make sure the throttle body is fully open, and all the plugs are removed when you do the tests.

RB Clio 182
unplug injectors and make sure wot.

To stop fuel entering the cylinders causing a false reading?

It was you that advised me to do so as im a bit thick :D

yup, throttle is off so no need to worry about that. i unplug injectors though. warm engine and crank a good few times until the needle just about stops moving.

those figures are bloody low but close so i'd be more tempted to say the low reading is down to the tester.

dan's cast offs.
To stop fuel entering the cylinders causing a false reading?

It was you that advised me to do so as im a bit thick :smiley:

yup, some stuff can borewash pretty easy. not sure if the clio has a fuel cut off though on cranking and wot?

PH2 172
The results of the compression test are
150-150-145-155
Have you done a wet test afterwards?
The figures are fairly even, if a little low. but that may be a characteristic of the gauge.
Smear a little grease on the o ring to reduce friction when tightening the connecting hose, as I`ve noticed some don`t tighten down that well and just spin without sealing properly.
If the wet tests shoot up to 180 psi, you have a problem with the bores/rings.

Renault Clio 1.8 16v
Have you done a wet test afterwards?
The figures are fairly even, if a little low. but that may be a characteristic of the gauge.
Smear a little grease on the o ring to reduce friction when tightening the connecting hose, as I`ve noticed some don`t tighten down that well and just spin without sealing properly.
If the wet tests shoot up to 180 psi, you have a problem with the bores/rings.
Doing the wet test right now
Noticed that myself, I’ll try with grease, thanks

Renault Clio 1.8 16v
With the grease:
160-170-165-165
With 20ml of oil:
225-225-220-220
Shouldn’t the maximum only be 180?

RB Clio 182
I’m not an expert, but can’t this be because some rings are more worn that others?
But surely the one with the lower reading would still read lower than the other no matter what test you did?

Im no expert either but isnt that just logic?

Renault Clio 1.8 16v
But surely the one with the lower reading would still read lower than the other no matter what test you did?

Im no expert either but isnt that just logic?
Seems right...
Well the engine wasn’t really at operating temperature for the last 2 tests, could that be a reason?

PH2 172
I’m not an expert, but can’t this be because some rings are more worn that others?
This.
I still have concerns regarding the sealing of the test gauge.
From the 2nd set of dry readings I would conclude that the engine is not a basket case, though a little tired.
You have readings in the 220`s as you have 20cc of incompressible oil occupying 50cc of the combustion chamber.
Please repeat a compression test in the morning, without adding more oil.
The oil will leak past the cylinders with worn rings overnight, revealing which are worn.

On a brighter note, the valve seating is good, and I suspect the bores are good enough not to be the cause of your original concerns.

Renault Clio 1.8 16v
This.
I still have concerns regarding the sealing of the test gauge.
From the 2nd set of dry readings I would conclude that the engine is not a basket case, though a little tired.
You have readings in the 220`s as you have 20cc of incompressible oil occupying 50cc of the combustion chamber.
Please repeat a compression test in the morning, without adding more oil.
The oil will leak past the cylinders with worn rings overnight, revealing which are worn.

On a brighter note, the valve seating is good, and I suspect the bores are good enough not to be the cause of your original concerns.
Thanks, good to know :)
So the lower temperature didn’t mess up the readings?

PH2 172
Not yet, haven’t had time today
And I’m not sure if i will be able to warm it up before the test, no space in the driveway...
I would not worry about warming it up.
In fact it would make any readings useless.
What we are trying to establish is which cylinders have retained the oil overnight and not leaked away.
I hope you have not started it since you did the wet test.?

Renault Clio 1.8 16v
I would not worry about warming it up.
In fact it would make any readings useless.
What we are trying to establish is which cylinders have retained the oil overnight and not leaked away.
I hope you have not started it since you did the wet test.?
That’s what I wasn’t sure about
Nope, hasn’t been started since the last test

dan's cast offs.
with a cheap tester those results are close enough not to really worry about, if anything leakdown test but personally i've never bothered doing a wet comp test.

PH2 172
I did the test twice now and here are the results:
180-185-190-200
170-180-175-195

Thanks, that`s more or less what I expected.

I think it`s safe to say that you don`t need to tear the engine down, though it`s not tip top.

These readings are left to right, gearbox end to front of the engine, as was the original photo of the plugs?

For the moment, put your old plugs back in, crank the engine over on the starter motor to expel any remaining oil.

Give the dizzy arm & cap a thorough inspection, including the carbon brush and clean up any evidence of arcing with some emery cloth.

Also measure the in line resistances of the HT leads.

I`m hoping that the valve guide seals are good.

Renault Clio 1.8 16v
Thanks, that`s more or less what I expected.

I think it`s safe to say that you don`t need to tear the engine down, though it`s not tip top.

These readings are left to right, gearbox end to front of the engine, as was the original photo of the plugs?

For the moment, put your old plugs back in, crank the engine over on the starter motor to expel any remaining oil.

Give the dizzy arm & cap a thorough inspection, including the carbon brush and clean up any evidence of arcing with some emery cloth.

Also measure the in line resistances of the HT leads.

I`m hoping that the valve guide seals are good.
I suspected that the engine wasn’t in top form anymore, but thanks for the confirmation that I don’t have to scrap it yet.

Yes, still the same order as in the photo.

Resistance is 2300 ohm.