ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Waterdamaged S6 Edge :(

Titanium 182
To say I'm gutted is an understatement! I was at my RNLI open day at the weekend and we got a job to 2 injured people under the pier. When the boat came back I was assisting with one of the casualites when a member of the public alerted me to some children in difficulty in the sea. I told our operations manager who began to get another boat ready for launch. I looked out to sea again and one of the children was getting taken way too far out and was calling for help so I decided we couldn't wait for a boat and I ran out to grab him myself... you can see where this is going...

After about 1-2 minutes I finally got to him and grabbed hold, took him back to shore with the help of my other crewman and beach patrol where he was blue lighted to A&E for observations. I was still elated that I managed to get to him through before it was too late so I thought I'll give the missus a call and tell her what went on. It was at that point I realised my brand new S6 Edge was in my lifejacket. Phone had already turned itself off. I immediately went home and got the phone in distilled water, tried my best to run it through but I couldn't dismantle it to get a good clean. It then sat in rice for 48hrs, I tried to turn it on this morning but sadly, it's dead.

Where do I go from here? No insurance to claim on :( Is it even worth attempting to fix myself? I wouldn't have any issues with stripping it down but how do I even find out what parts are buggered lol

Help me!

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I dropped my old phone in a bucket of water when I was washing the car.

I dried it out, booked an appointment at a well known telephone retailer and they replaced it under warranty because it wouldn't turn on.

Not that I'm condoning such behavior.

Last edited:
  Listerine & Poledo
Contents insurance claim = paying for the phone, by instalments, every time you insure your house.
not just you, but everyone in your postcode too.

home fix...forget it. Imagine chucking your laptop in the bath while it's on, then trying to fix that. Exactly the same principles :(

Salt water is pretty lethal, you won't be able to fix it imo.

New phone time if you as above you have no insurance. No premium bank account or anything that has free insurance?

Titanium 182
Bugger, I guess I'm screwed then :( we don't have house insurance and I've never had phone insurance. We have just bought a house and will be getting full building and contents cover for that, but the policy doesn't start until September time. Well, time to sell and save for the extra I guess. I checked on HSBC website to see if the credit card or debit card accounts come with free insurance but didn't see anything. Sods law, I was talking to my pal the morning of the incident and he said I was an idiot for not having insurance.... I said "ha, we'll see who the idiot is when I finish my 24 month contract with no issues" FML

Not much help, but stick it on ebay or mazuma it if you can't fix. They still fetch over £100 broken, and will go towards a new one.

You could try taking it apart yourself using a guide on line, make sure its clean of salt and fully dry, but its doubtful.

Or as said claim on house insurance.

Listerine & Poledo
even if it's clean, it'll be fucked.
It's rust, basically. And unless you have electronic microscopes and tools accordingly, you wont be rust-eze'ing this one :)

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Rookie mistake!

Worth trying to take it back and see if they'll swap it under warranty, but if they're anything like iPhones then there'll be an indicator in the phone.

Listerine & Poledo
Worth trying to take it back and see if they'll swap it under warranty, but if they're anything like iPhones then there'll be an indicator in the phone.

Every phone has a small litmus somewhere, which will now be bright red. Usually it hides under the battery.
Even if it was sent to manufacturer by the shop, it'll just come back as dead as before :(

Titanium 182
Really odd but the water indicator markers haven't gone off. Anyway, it's going on eBay asap! I've had a look and the past 2 went for £200. It's the 64gb version, and immaculate so hopefully that'll help lol annnnnd then get some insurance. Ultimately, it was worth the phone biting the dust, but sad that it can't be repaired :poo:

Thanks for the help though all!

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
Get a waterproof case/bag thing this time?

As you say shame but it was definitely worth it!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Bugger, I guess I'm screwed then 😧 we don't have house insurance and I've never had phone insurance. We have just bought a house and will be getting full building and contents cover for that, but the policy doesn't start until September time. Well, time to sell and save for the extra I guess. I checked on HSBC website to see if the credit card or debit card accounts come with free insurance but didn't see anything. Sods law, I was talking to my pal the morning of the incident and he said I was an idiot for not having insurance.... I said "ha, we'll see who the idiot is when I finish my 24 month contract with no issues" FML
Have you got facebook?

If so, genuinely, I have a suggestion....

Post up the story some samsung's facebook page and ask "is there anything I can do to get it back to working condition".

Due to the fact you were going out to save someone, if you word it correctly, they may jump on it as a PR opportunity and send you a new one.

I bought a shower pump not that long ago and got bad advice from re-seller. I posted onto the manufacturers twitter page iirc and they actually phoned me and offered to send me a more suitable replacement for free and that I return the other one.

Titanium 182
Have you got facebook?

If so, genuinely, I have a suggestion....

Post up the story some samsung's facebook page and ask "is there anything I can do to get it back to working condition".

Due to the fact you were going out to save someone, if you word it correctly, they may jump on it as a PR opportunity and send you a new one.

I bought a shower pump not that long ago and got bad advice from re-seller. I posted onto the manufacturers twitter page iirc and they actually phoned me and offered to send me a more suitable replacement for free and that I return the other one.

ha, that's so weird as my girlfriend has just suggested the same thing about 15 minutes ago! I found the Samsung UK page, I think I'll give it a go. Watch this space!

Titanium 182
Get a waterproof case/bag thing this time?

As you say shame but it was definitely worth it!

We do all actually have official RNLI phone cases for when we are out on training etc but with it being open day you really don't expect to get a job. Sounds silly I know as a job can come anytime! I was only in my dry-suit and life-jacket to show the public how every looks and works! I guess next time I'm ever in my gear it'll go straight into the waterproof case just in case.

Titanium 182
Nah not with the RNLI sadly. Samsung UK didn't bite! They basically said well done, hope the child is ok, speak to our service team lol worth a shot though!

It's going on eBay Monday!

Listerine & Poledo
try speaking with the service team first....The fact their marketing team have even acknowledged it may mean they have some kind of heart.
But it would be a rare thing in the world of Mobile phones

Titanium 182
try speaking with the service team first....The fact their marketing team have even acknowledged it may mean they have some kind of heart.
But it would be a rare thing in the world of Mobile phones
Yea good shout, I've dropped them an email with a link to the original post :)