ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Water wetter

deanoE30M3

ClioSport Club Member
Does anyone use a water wetter or some kind of additive like purple ice for there track / turbo car?!

If so what do you use and did you notice the difference as some are meant to help with cooling hot spots?

RuskiWeldFab

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, RS4 B7
Does anyone use a water wetter or some kind of additive like purple ice for there track / turbo car?!

If so what do you use and did you notice the difference as some are meant to help with cooling hot spots?

I do I do.. but not driven the car yet so can’t comment on the benifits ? got from eurocarshite. Sound legit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deanoE30M3

ClioSport Club Member
I do I do.. but not driven the car yet so can’t comment on the benifits ? got from eurocarshite. Sound legit

What did you go for from there? I know there is a few choices out there on the market!

RuskiWeldFab

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, RS4 B7
What did you go for from there? I know there is a few choices out there on the market!

8a4a7fe3134a286d982df68875b7fc48.jpg

Clio RS 172 2002
Coolant is an interesting topic.

Counter-intuitively, distilled water without an additives has the best heat-carrying capacity. It's not used because most modern engines have different metals in contact with each other (eg, alloy head and cast iron block, or alloy engine and head with cast iron cylinder liners) and plain water will cause galvanic corrosion between the metals really quickly. Coolant additives are needed to prevent the corrosion, but they actually reduce the heat carrying capacity.

Coolant is an interesting topic.

Counter-intuitively, distilled water without an additives has the best heat-carrying capacity. It's not used because most modern engines have different metals in contact with each other (eg, alloy head and cast iron block, or alloy engine and head with cast iron cylinder liners) and plain water will cause galvanic corrosion between the metals really quickly. Coolant additives are needed to prevent the corrosion, but they actually reduce the heat carrying capacity.

That is the one new thing I am going to learn today!

406 V6, Race Buggy
That's why a lot of race cars run just water with a bottle or two of WW or something similar.

Most of our racers only run about a 25-30% antifreeze/water mix because that gives most of the cooling benefit but with decent frost, etc, protection - so we don't crack a block overnight in parc ferme in winter.

gralegav

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Gordini, Fiat
I used to use water wetter in my modded integrale, it made a noticeable difference to running temperature, back in the day when gauges showed you the actual water temp. Be warned though, it is extremely good at seeking out weak points in your coolant system, especially if you have silicone hoses, so you could be more likely to spring a leak. I ran a higher pressure system with rubber hoses and had no problems.