ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Water on floors.

Couple of weeks ago in my Mk2 Ph1 clio I got into the car and the passenger floor looked very wet, thought nothing of it, pulled away and noticed the water was moving around the floor, quite a big puddle, had the same on the drivers side only there was no puddle just very damp.

Both passenger side and driver side are still very damp to this day and have never dried out properly. Live in Northern Ireland so anyone lives there knows what the rain can be like sometimes. Is there a chance that a seal is just broken somewhere or is it something else?

Hasn't done it since that one time but it has never dried up and is just considerably damp now.

Any solutions?

Clio 1.2 MkII Ph1
There are two main causes of wet floormats. The first, which could be the more logical explanation, is that the sunroof seal is broken, thus allowing water to pour down the sides of the inside of the car, and on to the floormats. However, this usually affects the rear floormats, but it could possibly be the issue. It's a common issue on the Clio MkII PhIs. Mine's currently in the process of getting to that stage, I can hear the water trickling around above my head, and the sunroof is rattling, haha! The second possibility is that the heater matrix is broken, but I'm not sure how to tell if the heater matrix is broken using other methods.

If it's the seal on the sunroof that's gone, then Renault will charge you a pretty penny for repairing it... There are, however, some places that can do the sealing for you, but you won't be able to use your sunroof again. If it's the heater matrix, you can get one off various websites for £35 upwards. Hope this helps, mate.

Thanks for the quick response mate. Can't use my sunroof anyway, the handle of it was cracked so never opened and when I did get it opened, it just closed back down when I hit a bump in the road or something. I can also hear water trickling when driving around 50mph but I just can't figure out where it's coming from. I might get the heater matrix replaced then and see how that goes.

In the meantime, is there anyway I could dry my floors correctly without damaging anything so I can see if the floors become wet again?

Clio 1.2 MkII Ph1
You could try a wet-dry vacuum, that would be the only thing that I could suggest - I'm useless at keeping my own car clean, haha! Giving the heater matrix a replace should be a good job, and if that doesn't solve your problem, then it would be the sunroof.