ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

wasting wheel bearings

182 trackday racer
I keep wasting a lot of wheel bearings, both original ones and the ones sold by k-tec. Most of the faliures caused by the drive shaft nut getting loose. Clean drive shaft, correct torque and new nut every time. Anyone have a solution?

330i. E30 Touring.
What torque are you doing them up to?

Car got the correct lower arms/driveshafts etc in?

I keep wasting a lot of wheel bearings, both original ones and the ones sold by k-tec. Most of the faliures caused by the drive shaft nut getting loose. Clean drive shaft, correct torque and new nut every time. Anyone have a solution?
Exact same problem here mate! Can't understand it :( Please let me know how you get on with a solution!

Listerine & Poledo
cheers for that Pink.

I did a forum search just now and it suggests that the problem may be rear bearings, which would be the 3rd party discs I had put on.

I need a good mechanic, somewhere near the docklands.... then Kwik fit to supply the pads!

Don't all laugh at once, their "free pads for life" aren't bad at all!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Have you ran a die over the driveshaft to make sure the threads not fcuked?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Are you re-using the driveshaft nut? If so you should consider replacing it as they are nylocks and I bet the nylon band is non-existant

Mick

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
A larger rolling radius will have no bearing upon the castle nuts ability to hold torque/clamping force.

It will naturally try to unwind as interia effects it. This is why we use Loctite on assemblies or nylock fixings as the plastic helps resist the unwinding effect.

I am willing to bet the nylock is worn or it's the wrong kind of nut (no collar).

Mick

Listerine & Poledo
will have no bearing

basil_brush_150.jpg

182 trackday racer
Think I have come up with the cause of this problem as well as a solution. Most of the ideas are stolen from the VW golf community where early models suffer the same kind of problems.

Cause, seems to be play in the splines between driveshaft and wheel hub, even a tiny play there will start acting like a "wheel nut machine" hammering the nut loose not matter what torque.

Solution, I did solve the problem by using a OE rear nyloc nut in combination with the wonderful Swedish invention Nord-Lock. Its a very clever washer design wich makes it basicaly impossible for the nut to come loose. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgwmuZuJ02I

This seems to work so far. If this wount work in the long run I will use the special VW glue/loctite on the splines in combination with the above solution.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
I was going to say - this is a big issue on the Focus ST, where there is play between the splines and the hub. The Ford Fix is to loctite the splines.